3,729 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23.5% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Joel Booker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lately I've been annoyed / bothered by the sheer number of games that are unreleased or been even teased, but somehow have significant numbers of user reviews.

Exhbit A: Rising Sun. The design isn't even finalized.

Exhbit B: Seafall, which was only demoed at this recent Gencon but has been "rated" by numerous users.

Some users regularly post ratings where they admit "haven't played it, but watched a video of it being played and it looks awesome." What?!? I know that the BGG rating is supposed to mitigate this, but there's no reason for allowing "pre-ratings" by users in the first place. It feels like an artificial stat that is open to manipulation. The "Hotness meter" fulfills the hype demand, but the pre-ratings eventually influence the real rating of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Users can use their game rating any way they like as long as a single user does so with one account only.
2. There is no 2.

I suggest you work on not being bothered by it.

Edit: For further reading, start from Some BGG Ratings are a little bit off. Some are a lot. and continue backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. Games like Rising Sun shouldn't be rated, hell it won't be on even Kickstarter till next year. It truely makes the rating system a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This again? Go read all the other threads about this. Seriously, it comes up almost weekly.

As for the ratings on Seafall, I know that at least a couple of those came from people in my group who play tested the prototypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
This again?

At least this time it's 10 days since the previous thread started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it impacting you personally in some way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Please don't tell me what games I can and cannot rate. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmb
I am confused sometimes as well when a game that isn't even out yet can get rated on this site. To me it seems more of a hype meter than an actual rating of the game. Think maybe that needs to be differentiated on this site somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Is it impacting you personally in some way?
Insofar as it is advocating for a change I don't care for... yes. I can either oppose this position or risk allowing it to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
Neojames82 wrote:
Think maybe that needs to be differentiated on this site somehow.

It's not possible to do that. Requesting a play log along with a rate-the most popular fix/suggestion-would, if the game Agricola is any guide, instantaneously halve the number of rates given on this site.

As others have indicated, the best remedy is simply to ignore such rates. They are neither important nor an issue that needs fixing. It also won't matter to the game's rank, as that on its own very likely will remain stuck in some region where no analysis or meticulous tracking will ever occur. Put another way: if a game enters the top-500 then the sheer number of votes will force these oddballs out; and if doesn't then no-one cares about the precise nature of the votes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to contribute to another ratings bitchfest thread, but people bought copies of Seafall at Gencon, so there are legitimately people out there who own real, finalized copies.

As for Rising Sun, rating it early is silly. But some people are silly. You can either tilt at windmills or move on with life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmb
So if the ratings system doesn't matter then....why even have it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Coopersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neojames82 wrote:

Because it can be useful?

I find it useful at least. I know how certain users rate games, and look at their ratings. I find the geekbuddy analysis useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
Neojames82 wrote:

Because it can be useful?

I find it useful at least. I know how certain users rate games, and look at their ratings. I find the geekbuddy analysis useful.

I find analysis useful in general and not really an arbitrary score number really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Category:Hostess fruit pie ads featuring
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Neojames82 wrote:

There's a wide gap between "doesn't matter" and arbitrarily trying to police ratings. Each and every vote can be seen as "artificial" and "open to manipulation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never really pay attention to The Hotness, but this thread brought Rising Sun to my attention. It had a lot more impact on "free advertising" than the preemptive ratings did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe there should be more rating categories, perhaps based on some of the reasons why people rate games?

How good is the game having played it?
How good is the game not having played it?
How good do I expect the game to be when it is finally released?
How much do I want to play it?
How much do I want it to be the highest rated game?
How great do I think the publishing company are?
How nice was the designer to me at the con I met them at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neojames82 wrote:
I am confused sometimes as well when a game that isn't even out yet can get rated on this site. To me it seems more of a hype meter than an actual rating of the game. Think maybe that needs to be differentiated on this site somehow.

Demo, playtesting, PNP, etc. are all valid reasons why a game not officially released could be rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Please define "released"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Unless you are willing to commit massive amounts of time, energy,moneyand intrusive levels of magic/psychic powers, it's entirely impossible to discern the actual motivation or validity of user ratings anyway, so what bother in the first place.

Aggregate data will tone down egregious mis-ratings anyway and individual BGG ratings have very little to do with any useful metric of quality and success anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Universe
United States
flag msg tools
bookerj1 wrote:
Some users regularly post ratings where they admit "haven't played it, but watched a video of it being played and it looks awesome." What?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I am going to say this for probably the 100th time in the last 15 years on BGG.

Ratings are a completely personal thing, and are none of anyone else's business how they are applied.

Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This makes me want to start a thread on the topic of ratings.

Ryan (clearly had too much to drink and is now channeling his inner Pete...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Carpenter
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG ratings are like any user rating system. They only mean something if you want them to.

I personally don't give them any merit. But I'm glad people can rate based on any criteria they see fit even if it doesn't make sense to me. Adapt and move on, this hill isn't worth shedding blood on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the earlier posts have suggested, do not let it bother you.

I have still gone for games by going through the ratings after release date anyway.The dedicated games forums tend to have very good written reviews to browse too.

Also spotted strange things in there that perplexed me when first using the ratings to get an idea of a game.
One rating was a 10 and all the user put was traded ??.
Another great Game I have played had a user put a 2 rating because they did not like the theme . Each to there own I suppose.

For the record everyone. Star Trek Diplomancy is going to be very good , I would suggest giving it a high rating now as I feel it will be a scythe/Rising Sun beater.

Due Dec 2018 . Apparently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.