Hide
18 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: worth it just for solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
hello! could someone who has played this game solo give me thei impressions and if it's worth the price tag just for solo play? i mostly play with my sister, but she likes only light to medium games. this looks like a heavy game but very interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me preface my post with the solo variant in this game is an exceptional bit of design and probably as good as it gets for a game of this nature.

But, with that said, I wouldn't buy the game for solo. I've made five attempts now to play a solo game and in all cases I quit midway through. It's a very mechanical experience of:

1. I make my move
2. I draw a card, read symbols, figure out what to do based on the symbols, take actions, move marker forward on automa card, done.
3. I make my move, rinse repeat process.

The variant is incredible for what it does given the game mechanics, but as a solo game, it's just not fun, IMO. But, if you do have a game group, it's definitely worth picking up. Outstanding multiplayer game and we enjoy it quite a bit. Playing again today, 3 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Popov,

I just want to give you an opposing view. I buy, almost exclusively games which possess a solo variant. I've played more than a half dozen games with the Automa deck and it plays fast and furious. You're not waiting for another player as it's all stipulated on the card. Thanks to David, Morten, and Jamey, SM will sell additional decks, allowing for more Automa factions, making an even richer experience.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
hello! could someone who has played this game solo give me thei impressions and if it's worth the price tag just for solo play? i mostly play with my sister, but she likes only light to medium games. this looks like a heavy game but very interesting!

Is it worth it as a solo game?

No. The solo game is fun, but having only played it solo, I will be trading if it doesn't catch on with my group.

Is it a heavy game?

I don't think so. I would classify it as medium weight, especially if all players have experience with most/all of the mechanisms in the game. I had seen most of what Scythe does before and I was able to step into the solo game pretty easily.

Have you watched Rodney Smith's instructional video? It gave me a very good idea of how to play the multiplayer game and I really only had to learn the solo rules on my own with some light rulebook referencing during play.

If you haven't watched it, it is worth it if you are considering buying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've been really enjoying the solo. I think it has a lot to offers and keeps me coming back. The AI plays differently with different factions and I have to play it differently with different factions. There's certainly a lot to take away from each level of difficulty, and with the games "random" setup, it doesn't grow stale.

I also bought the game to play with others. The game is pretty big so for a solo game, I'm not always willing to take it out and set up. If you have a PC, I might recommend buying it for Tabletop Simulator and play it solo there. Much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a heavy game. Medium complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Let me preface my post with the solo variant in this game is an exceptional bit of design and probably as good as it gets for a game of this nature.

But, with that said, I wouldn't buy the game for solo. I've made five attempts now to play a solo game and in all cases I quit midway through. It's a very mechanical experience of:

1. I make my move
2. I draw a card, read symbols, figure out what to do based on the symbols, take actions, move marker forward on automa card, done.

The variant is incredible for what it does given the game mechanics, but as a solo game, it's just not fun, IMO. But, if you do have a game group, it's definitely worth picking up. Outstanding multiplayer game and we enjoy it quite a bit. Playing again today, 3 player.

I agree completely.

As a multiplayer game with a solo VARIANT (important notion, here), it's one of the best.
But if you're buying a game strictly to play it solo, I would recommend a game that was built from the ground up to be playable solo.
Now, they're not all great, but most of them are very good, and there are a few that fall into the exceptional category.

So which ones?
In the past, most solo games tended to be wargames, and if you enjoy those sorts of things (although your profile seems to suggest otherwise), I would have quite a lot of them to recommend.

If you lean more towards the Euro-ish experience, to me, the best of the best is Navajo Wars. Yes, it's published by a wargame publisher, but it doesn't feel like a wargame any more than Scythe does. It's got a remarkable AI that lets you see what will *probably* happen next turn. But you can never be sure... Plus, it's a like an interactive history class. Really outstanding.
(Check out my review if you feel like you need more convincing .)

Freedom: The Underground Railroad is also an excellent solo game that I pull out frequently. (Yes, it's also a coop game -- but aren't all coop games in face solo games that you can play with friends) Plus, Freedom doesn't require special rules for the solo experience: just go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
skyzero wrote:
I've made five attempts now to play a solo game and in all cases I quit midway through. It's a very mechanical experience of:

1. I make my move

How could it be otherwise in a solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roni Jaakkola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Hey there, nice to meet you! @Nashtanir in Twitter
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play is surely fun and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. However, the game was not designed for solo play and it was just made as an addition. Therefore I would say you will get better bang for you money if you buy a real solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
skyzero wrote:
I've made five attempts now to play a solo game and in all cases I quit midway through. It's a very mechanical experience of:

1. I make my move

How could it be otherwise in a solo game?

There are solo/co op games where the game mechanics are built to work against you from the ground up design and then there are solo variants created to mimic the manner in which a human affects the dynamics of the game. It is difficult to design an elegant solo variant for the latter. Scythe wasn't created to be solo or co op where you compete against the inherent game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is definitely worth it for solo play. If you are an occasional solo player, which I'm guessing most of the people who have said "no" are, then it probably wouldn't be. But for the genuine soloist then no question, it's a brilliant solo experience not just a tacked on variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a guy who plays both multiplayer and solo, but more solo than multiplayer, I would not hesitate to recommend this for solo play. The solo variant is very well crafted and makes for excellent play.

If you are a regular solo gamer, and enjoy that aspect of the hobby, there is a great chance you will enjoy it immensely. Over on the Solitaire Games on Your Table geeklist many of the solo players are calling this their game of the year.

I have played 11 solo games and 7 multiplayer games so far, and if my gaming partners all moved away I would definitely keep this for solo play only, I am addicted! I am a regular solo gamer though (I have played games 260 times so far this year, 204 of those solo).

Also, this is definitely a medium weight game, easy to teach/learn so you may even get your sister to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
I would say it is definitely worth it for solo play. If you are an occasional solo player, which I'm guessing most of the people who have said "no" are, then it probably wouldn't be. But for the genuine soloist then no question, it's a brilliant solo experience not just a tacked on variant.

Totally how I feel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the "it's fantastic solo" camp. I think it all flows really well and gives a great rendition of a game of Scythe.

But I'll add the distinction that at this point I will only play it solo against more than one Automa. Playing against two Automas for the first time felt much more engaging and immersive to what a multiplayer experience is like, and has also been much more of a challenge. It's easy enough to do using the included deck for one Automa and this site for another: http://ai.nagy.tech/scythe/ I will probably try it against three Automas sometime soon and see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me primarily being a Solo-Player give a +1 for being excited about both Scythe and it's Automa cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes. My 8/10 is based purely on solo play so far, and while I can see it going up to a 9/10 if I can get it to the table multiplayer at some point, 8/10 is solid and if my husband doesn't enjoy it, I'll be very happy to have it in my collection as part of my primarily solo stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For game weight, I'm in agreement with the rest: it's medium, not heavy. There is an initial short, steep learning curve, but once you've played a few turns the mechanisms all into place.

For solo, that's hard to say. I'm not much of a solo player and only just played my first solo session this weekend. I enjoyed it enough to complete the play and I do see what all the hubub is about regarding Morten's work. It's a really good system to give you a challenge to play against. I still wouldn't buy the game just for soloing it, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I play mostly multiplayer games, but I really enjoy Scythe as a solo. I would rate it on the light side of medium weight. I do agree it is mechanical, but most AI variants are. This one actually feels like an opponent is challenging you and with the varying levels of difficulty it is adjustable to your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.