$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.06

7,663 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some assorted rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this yesterday and had a go at it, and loved it. There are still a few things I'm not totally clear on, despite digesting the rulebook pretty thoroughly (several times):

1. Inactive jobs. I know you can't get rid of an active job any way besides completing it (or losing it from a warrant being issued), but what about inactive jobs you haven't started yet? Can you discard those, or are you stuck with them until you start working them?

2. When you move a job to your active pile, but botch the attempt, that job stays active, right?

3. The rules say you can't change your equipment after you start working a job. Does that only apply to the time during your Work action where you're attempting either the pickup or drop-off requirements, and not the intervening turns? Would seem kind of strange to not be able to change equipment any time you have an active job, so I'm assuming that's not what they mean.

4. What's the timing of "Reshuffle" on a Misbehave card? Does it take effect when that card would go into the discard pile at the end of the Work action?

5. Any time I have the option of which crew to kill, I can choose to put a disgruntled token on my leader instead, right? (Which wouldn't be a great idea if he already has one, but if he's sitting at none, it would be a sensible thing to do.)

6. Can I move items between the cargo bay and the stash at any time? Can I use fuel and parts directly out of the stash?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1: You have the option to discard any (or all) of the initial starting jobs that are dealt to you (depending on which set-up/story that you are using, you may have to discard some, if you are dealt more than 3).

After that, however, you can only discard inactive jobs if you have more than 3 in your hand, in which case you must discard down to 3.
Example: you have 3 inactive jobs in your hand, then while at Persephone you stop and Deal with Badger, and take on 2 of his offered jobs. Then you must discard 2 of the jobs in your hand to get down to the maximum of 3.

However, you cannot simply just choose to discard inactive jobs if you have 3 or less in your hand.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
1: You have the option to discard any (or all) of the initial starting jobs that are dealt to you (depending on which set-up/story that you are using, you may have to discard some, if you are dealt more than 3).

After that, however, you can only discard inactive jobs if you have more than 3 in your hand, in which case you must discard down to 3.
Example: you have 3 inactive jobs in your hand, then while at Persephone you stop and Deal with Badger, and take on 2 of his offered jobs. Then you must discard 2 of the jobs in your hand to get down to the maximum of 3.

However, you cannot simply just choose to discard inactive jobs if you have 3 or less in your hand.


Ah, okay, so you can still get more jobs, you just have to discard down to three inactives after that. That makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2: Botched jobs do stay in your active pile, yes. They can be attempted again on a future turn (or ignored, but they still will count against your 3 Active Job limit until either successfully completed, or failed by pulling a Warrant from a Misbehave associated with that job)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3. Prior to attempting any individual "Work Action", any gear that you want to utilize must be assigned to Crewmembers who will be participating in that Work Action. Gear not assigned, or assigned to Crew who are "left on the ship" or not participating in that job action (such as Shepherd Book with Immoral jobs) cannot be used, and their skill points don't count toward any skill tests that arise.

However, if the job requires multiple Work Actions (such as Transport jobs with a Pick Up and a Destination, or on successive attempts after a botch), you are free to re-assign gear prior to each different Work Action.

But you cannot switch Gear in-between Misbehave cards during the same Work Action.

Also keep in mind that if a Crewmember "returns to the ship" (i.e. your leader getting "killed", or after a successful Medic roll), they take their Gear with them. And if a Crewmember is killed, their Gear is essentially returned to the ship.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4. I think the Reshuffle happens as soon as that card is resolved, and would include any and all previous Misbehave cards in the reshuffle, even ones successfully passed in the current Work Action (technically, the Misbehave cards are discarded as soon as that particular card is resolved, not just at the end of the work action. even though most of the time I keep the successfully passed Misbehave cards sitting out to keep track of progress for that Work Action).

I could be wrong, though.

The one exception that I do know of would be on Gambling attempts, where you are to draw X number of Misbehave cards all at the same time (and usually compare suits or something). In that instance, all cards are drawn at the same time, and then the Reshuffle takes place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Yes.

6. Pretty much yes, yes.

(I think there are some exceptions to free rearrangement but I can't remember them.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
5. For the most part, yes. You can choose to "kill" your Leader (which translates to giving them a Disgruntled). The exception would be if you are on a Work Action in which your leader is not currently active (either you chose not to send them on that action, or they were previously "killed" and returned to the ship).

"killing"/disgruntling your Leader in that manner while on a Work Action causes them to return to the ship and not take part in further Misbehaves on that Work Action. (though if the attempt is botched, they are free to rejoin on later attempts). Same goes for those crew who are saved by Medic checks.

Also, when "killing" a Leader, you are still allowed a Medic check (if you have a doc), and if successful, your Leader avoids gaining a Disgruntled (though they still return to the ship to recover)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6. You cannot rearrange them during another action. So no getting boarded by another player and them trying to stash valuables before they can loot them (if you are playing with Pirates & Bounty Hunters
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
6: yes, you can move items between cargo and stash at any time. Even after, drawing the "Customs Inspection" Nav card (for example), you can hurriedly shove your Contraband in the stash before the purplebellies board.

If you are playing with the Pirates & Bounty Hunters expansion, you can still re-arrange even after being "targeted" by a Pirate up until the point where the Showdown is rolled.

And you are free to use Parts and Fuel from the Stash.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
6. You cannot rearrange them during another action. So no getting boarded by another player and them trying to stash valuables before they can loot them (if you are playing with Pirates & Bounty Hunters

actually you can, according to the PBH rulebook (pg. 7):

Quote:
Stashing your Goods
When targeted by a Piracy Job, a player may
re-arrange their Goods, Passengers and Fugitives
between their Cargo Hold and Stash. Choose
carefully what Goods to keep safe in your Stash. That
Contraband might be worth a lot but without Fuel it
will be hard to move it! Once the Showdown is rolled,
it’s too late to re-arrange.


Of course, like anything, it is subject to "house rules" and variations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the clarifications. It's a very smooth and straight-forward game once you work out the details (though that seems pretty typical for most adventure games).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Got this yesterday and had a go at it, and loved it. There are still a few things I'm not totally clear on, despite digesting the rulebook pretty thoroughly (several times):

1. Inactive jobs. I know you can't get rid of an active job any way besides completing it (or losing it from a warrant being issued), but what about inactive jobs you haven't started yet? Can you discard those, or are you stuck with them until you start working them?


Jay's answer above is correct.

davidbrit2 wrote:

2. When you move a job to your active pile, but botch the attempt, that job stays active, right?


Correct

davidbrit2 wrote:

3. The rules say you can't change your equipment after you start working a job. Does that only apply to the time during your Work action where you're attempting either the pickup or drop-off requirements, and not the intervening turns? Would seem kind of strange to not be able to change equipment any time you have an active job, so I'm assuming that's not what they mean.


The reduction applies only during the current work action. If you have a two part job, you can reassign great for the second step.

davidbrit2 wrote:

4. What's the timing of "Reshuffle" on a Misbehave card? Does it take effect when that card would go into the discard pile at the end of the Work action?


You reshuffle as soon add that card is resolved. If you have River and Ace that card, your will draw the next Misbehave from the reshuffled deck.

davidbrit2 wrote:

5. Any time I have the option of which crew to kill, I can choose to put a disgruntled token on my leader instead, right? (Which wouldn't be a great idea if he already has one, but if he's sitting at none, it would be a sensible thing to do.)


Correct

davidbrit2 wrote:

6. Can I move items between the cargo bay and the stash at any time? Can I use fuel and parts directly out of the stash?


Yes to both.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.