Popular Tags: [View All]
SIMONE DONNINI
Italy
Varese
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,
After a long time, i decided to buy this game. It did not convince me when it was released but now i want to give it a try.

I ask one question to the experienced gamers: is this game balanced and suited for competitive play? I read about a British dominant strategy and I dont like it

Many thanks,
Simone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I read about a British dominant strategy and I dont like it

So then don't use it.

I mean, just knowing the Hammer exists isn't enough to ruin the game.

I've known about the existence of it for years, I just never read up enough on it to learn it, and it hasn't come up through organic play.

(If, however, you read all about the Hammer and still bought the game hoping for balance, that is a different story.)

I think there are files on here of some fixes Wallace came up with. You can check those out. There are random set-ups and I think there are cards you can remove from starting decks to make it more balanced.

You've already bought the game, so you might as well play it and get some enjoyment out of it.

This is kind of an hot-button issue, though. Some people will say the game is absolutely broken and others will say if you avoid the Hammer and use some of the random options, it is still fun.

There is enough reading you could do to keep you busy for a long time if you really want to investigate it.

My advice, though, would just be to ignore it, don't do anymore reading and just play the game. If you find an issue, check out the variants. If you don't, then keep on gaming.

Theoretical issues don't have to extend to your kitchen table.

Hope you have fun!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, there's basically one broken strategy. Don't read how to do it and chances are you'll never see it come up. If you play the game to the point where you become good enough that you figure it out and master it organically, you'll probably be bored with it by then anyway laugh.

Just play it and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro garcía
msg tools
Hello,

I ' ve played the game 40 times. I ve read the forums about the halifax hammer and i wasn t able to execute this properly. In my humble opinion is a myth if not ask anyone how to implement the hh to break the game.

Buy the game and enjoy. It s great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.