Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian B
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're relatively new to A:NR. Last night, I had Parasite in my grip and wished to install it. I pay 2 credits to place it into my program row, but the text says,
"Install Parasite only on a rezzed piece of ice"
Hunh?
Is Parasite supposed to actually overlap the rezzed ice, laying atop the ice on the Corps side of the table? We assumed not, and that it gets placed into the Runner's program row as per standard convention. We used generic tokens to show that it was going to be "dedicated" to a specific piece of ice, ie one red gen token on Parasite, corresponding to one red gen token placed on the Corp's Rezzed ice.

Then, according to the text on Parasite, everytime the Runner began his turn, we placed a gen token on Parasite, this time blue side to differentiate it as strength. Is this correct? What is the standard covention around use of generic tokens In this case? The rulebook seems to be lacking in the description of how to use gen tokens. In practice whatever convention is used between the players is probably acceptable but I like consistency. Is there a reference I overlooked or a tournament convention that is universally accepted?

Secondly, if parasite succeeds in gaining enough strength to trash the ice, is Parasite itself then trashed? We assumed no, as it does not explicitly say so in the text. But then one could assume that Parasite continues to be a valid program in the Runner's rig, and so could be installed onto a new piece of rezzed ice. Does the Runner have to pay 2 credits again to "install" Parasite to a new piece of ice? We also assumed that in successfully trashing the ice, the strength counters are reset to zero. It seems there is a breakdown in terminology between "installing, to the program row of the rig" and/or "installing, onto a rezzed piece of ice".

A little confused as you can see.
Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin W
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poguelife wrote:
We're relatively new to A:NR. Last night, I had Parasite in my grip and wished to install it. I pay 2 credits to place it into my program row, but the text says,
"Install Parasite only on a rezzed piece of ice"
Hunh?
Is Parasite supposed to actually overlap the rezzed ice, laying atop the ice on the Corps side of the table? We assumed not, and that it gets placed into the Runner's program row as per standard convention. We used generic tokens to show that it was going to be "dedicated" to a specific piece of ice, ie one red gen token on Parasite, corresponding to one red gen token placed on the Corp's Rezzed ice.

Then, according to the text on Parasite, everytime the Runner began his turn, we placed a gen token on Parasite, this time blue side to differentiate it as strength. Is this correct? What is the standard covention around use of generic tokens In this case? The rulebook seems to be lacking in the description of how to use gen tokens. In practice whatever convention is used between the players is probably acceptable but I like consistency. Is there a reference I overlooked or a tournament convention that is universally accepted?

Secondly, if parasite succeeds in gaining enough strength to trash the ice, is Parasite itself then trashed? We assumed no, as it does not explicitly say so in the text. But then one could assume that Parasite continues to be a valid program in the Runner's rig, and so could be installed onto a new piece of rezzed ice. Does the Runner have to pay 2 credits again to "install" Parasite to a new piece of ice? We also assumed that in successfully trashing the ice, the strength counters are reset to zero. It seems there is a breakdown in terminology between "installing, to the program row of the rig" and/or "installing, onto a rezzed piece of ice".

A little confused as you can see.
Thanks,

This will get moved to rules, but I'll still help you out.

Parasite DOES get installed overlapping the ice. The text on the card overrides the normal rules. This is the "golden rule" of most, if not all, card games (If card text conflicts with the rules in the book, go with the card text). Once the ice is trashed, so is Parasite. Parasite still counts against the runner's MU.

Traditionally, red counters are used to denote virus counters. Virus counters can be purged by the corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever a card is trashed, uninstalled, or otherwise removed from play, all cards hosted or installed on it are trashed. That's why Parasite is trashed when it trashes the ice hosting it.

I would say that it's up to you where you put Parasite. If you physically put it on the ice, it's easier to remember to trash it along with the ice. If you place it in your rig, it's easier to track available MUs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, yes.... The "golden rule". Well done.

This helps my conscience and makes sense. As a "hosted" card, it gets trashed along with the ice. Super!

This sounds balanced, and in keeping with all the rules so thanks kindly for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.