Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In a recent game, going 2nd during the Build Phase, I built Perseus for my 5th hero but we questioned whether I won or the player going 3rd who managed to build the Pyramids won the game. The reason for our doubts is the 1st half of the Perseus description "...You may overrule the Culture Leader...". Since I did not go 1st, did not overrule the Culture Leader, do I win the game or would I only win the game if I already had Perseus before I built my 5th hero? Please give me your thoughts. TY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have Perseus' power until after you buy him, and his special ability is that you activate his power at the start of the build phase to build first and win immediately by buying the pyramids or a 5th hero. Since you bought the 5th hero before having Perseus' power, it doesn't activate.
In other words, you need to already have Perseus in you first 4 heroes to be able to benefit from his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my conclusion too, but I'm still not quite sure given the other ambiguities in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what Aaron had said. In other words, Perseus ability won't kick in and you would have to wait til end of build phase to claim victory. If someone managed to build the Pyramids later in the phase, he or her win. As building the Pyramids win immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The French rules are a little clearer.

Victory is possible during Phase III: Build.

* The Cultural Leader wins immediately if he builds the Pyramids or his fifth Hero or Wonder.
* Otherwise, amongst the remaining players, if only one can build the Pyramids or his fifth Hero or Wonder, he wins.
* Otherwise, if several players can build the Pyramids, they share a victory.
* Otherwise, if several players can build their fifth Hero or Wonder, they share a victory.

Victory is possible at the end of Phase IV: Move and Battle.

* If a player occupies and controls four Capitals and/or Legendary Cities, he wins. A shared two-player victory is possible (though rare).

Victory is possible at the end of Phase V: Claim Leadership.

* If a player holds all three Leader titles, he wins.

The English rules are slightly different for a phase III victory (they are identical for phases IV and V victories).

During Phase III: Build.

* The player who (first) builds the Pyramids immediately wins the game.

At the end of Phase III: Build.

* If the Cultural Leader has built his fifth Hero or Wonder, he wins.
* Otherwise, amongst the remaining players, if only one built his fifth Hero or Wonder, he wins.
* Otherwise, if several players built their fifth Hero or Wonder, they share a victory.

In either case, having Perseus as one of your first four Heroes and Wonders allows you to go first during Phase III: Build and win by building the Pyramids or a fifth Hero or Wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
Since the french rules and english rules are clearly different, what was actually intended for the win condition here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go by the designer's intention, he is French and wrote the French rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically the English rules don't account for the possibility of shared phase IV victories (which could have been interpreted to be shared or go to the military leader as a tie-break).

The French rules are slightly clearer, but quite different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.