Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh The Klingon Marauder Fleet card is missing the highlight around the bottom three ships that all the other fleet card sides of all factions have. This highlight is I assume to remind players that they need a minimum of three ships to build a fleet. Does this mean the Marauders have a different or no ship minimum, or is it just a misprint?

(I'm happy to say that after playing our first game, this is the only question we couldn't answer for sure based on the rules and the few FAQ we've gotten so far!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a full thread on this very subject already, sorry.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620648/klingon-marauder-fl...

In short, the card is misprinted (without the white borders on the lower 3 ships). The marauder fleet would be disbanded if dropped below 3 ship formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From the other thread:

Novacat wrote:
The rules say: "If a fleet ever contains fewer than three ships, it is immediately disbanded."

The rules do not say: "If a fleet ever contains fewer ships than the highlighted spaces on its fleet card, it is immediately disbanded."

If the latter were true, then the marauder fleet could exist with no ships in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Thanks, guys. That's how we played it! (Actually, the Klingon cards use an orange border on the lower three ships).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this was a rules oversight and not a misprinting. It is very thematic and cool that the Marauder fleet does not have a size requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin,

Yes, that's why I brought this to the forum. Its funny that the mistake is on the Marauder, a likely candidate for violating the usual minimum 3 ship rule. But apparently that was not intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:
I hope this was a rules oversight and not a misprinting. It is very thematic and cool that the Marauder fleet does not have a size requirement.

I agree. It sounds really cool and thematic. Hopefully it wouldn't be OP though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed, Gale Force Nine posted here using the Marauder Fleet as an example that would disband below 3 ships. There's only 1 fleet named Marauder, right? I guess this confirms it's a mis-print.

Re: Rulebook Questions

Gale Force Nine wrote:
A Fleet is able to use its Special Rule as long as it's intact when it rolls to Hit. If a Klingon Marauder Fleet is intact, with at least 3 ships when rolling to Score Hits, you get the bonus Production from each enemy Starship that is destroyed.

It possible for all the ships in the Marauder Fleet to be destroyed and still generate Production. For example, a 4-strong Marauder Fleet attacks a six-strong Federation Fleet. The Klingons Score 3 Hits, so takes 3 Production. At the same time, the Federation scores 4 hits, completely wiping out the Klingons. Had the Federation scored 2 Hits, the Klingons would survive the round but the Fleet would be disbanded. In the next Combat Round, the Klingons wouldn’t get any Production (as there isn’t a Marauder fleet anymore).

Here’s another example: A 4-strong Marauder Fleet is attacked by a Romulan Fleet with First Strike. The Romulans’ first attack destroys 2 Klingon Ships, so the Fleet is disbanded. Because the Casualties from First Strike are taken before their targets’ can return fire, the Klingon Fleet disbands before rolling to hit and it doesn’t get to use its Special Rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Now its funny both that its the Marauder, with a name that indicates a possible rules variation, that is misprinted, and now that its the Marauder which is used as the example! One cancels out the other, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.