Subject: What's the game that drew you into gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the game that first drew you into gaming?

Not necessarily your first game, certainly not necessarily your favorite game, but that game which made you sit up and say "yeah, there's something here, I want to do more of this!"

For me, it was 1914. My mom owned it for some reason (parents divorced, and it was my mom who played games). As a kid it looked so cool and shiny there in the closet and I wanted to play it. However, she said it was too complicated and she'd only pull it down if I beat her at another war game. Someone bought me a copy of Tactics II so we played and played and played that until I finally won, and got to play 1914.

Which, by the way, is a pretty bad game. Pretty map, lots of fiddly counters, dull combat rules, no real excitement in strategy, and still I thought it was so cool.

After that it was more in the Avalon Hill line, Blitzkrieg, Africa Korps, Wooden Ships and Iron Men. Then I found Dungeons and Dragons, then SPI games, then Milton Bradley's Gamemaster series (Fortress America!), and eventually I stumbled into Euros and started moving in a whole new direction.

But it all started with my lust for 1914.

P.S. Thinking of this because I just had a passing urge to order a "mint" condition copy via the marketplace. Just out of pure nostalgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first modern board game I heard about was Catan. I was reading an article talking about the Green Bay Packers(American Football) players being obsessed with this game. My wife and I have always enjoyed playing cards, so when I heard about Catan I decided to check into it. I went to a local store to get it and while I was there I picked up Ticket to Ride since it could play two players. My wife and I brought both games over to my parents' house that week and while Catan was a minor hit Ticket to Ride was a major hit. After a few plays of it I started looking for other games and that brought me to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Axis & Allies. I remember playing with my older brother and his friend. I was probably 13 years old playing Russia. All I wanted to build were fighters. My brother tried to show that it was a bad strategy...buy infantry he said.

Lessons were learn. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
At first it was Magic: The Gathering. I watched my two cousins play it, and after a while I started participating. Then I started going to tournaments. Then after a while they found other games and introduced to me, like Ticket to Ride, Elfenland and Ricochet Robots, and the rest is history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"...there's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Registrau wrote:
Chess

Needs a heartwarming story or it didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not including RPG's, Magic, Netrunner, Dragon Dice.. which i played in my youth, It was Catan actually. I saw a Scott Nickleson vid on you tube. Dont even remember how i came across it as board games were not on my radar. I purchased it, soon followed by Last Night on Earth..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Glantz
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played board games as a kid, but they were mostly roll-and-move kinds of games that I guess most kids played. What drew me in to "proper" board games was Dominion and Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mb
Although they aren't designer board games, my dad not only introduced me to chess when I was in grade school, but to Stratego and Parcheesi. Even back then, I felt there was a difference in what played and other kids played. They were into Sorry! (which to me was always a dumbed down version of Parcheesi), checkers, and monopoly (played with free parking rules - gasp!).
My parents would often times find complete games at yard sales real cheap, such as Oh What a Mountain!.
Then my cousins introduced me to Scotland Yard, a favorite down to this day.
When I was about 15, a friend introduced me to Axis & Allies, and a few years later this friend got me hooked on Star Wars Customizable Card Game.
After that I wasn't exposed to new games for a while. However, while on a trip to Rochester, Minnesota, around 2005, I walked into a board game store by the name of "Games by James", and I saw a reprint of Scotland Yard. I had lost my original copy, so I picked it up and taught it to all my friends (who love it to this day).
Fast forward a few years, and between being able to try electronic versions of Catan and Ticket to Ride, as well as Target's decent selection of designer games, my interest in board games was fully ignited.

Sorry for the long story, but for me it was not really a single game, but a gradual appreciation, game by game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Always seemed to be looking for something in the way of games that was more interesting. After Checkers and Chess came Avalon Hill's game of Gettysburg, that's my collection of 'non-standard' games began to proliferate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Mass Market Games --> Chess --> D&D --> Magic --> 7 Wonders

I played some of the "gateway games" before 7W (Catan, Waterdeep), but didn't like them. Also got to experience how horrible Munchkin is early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was little, I played Monopoly and Scotland Yard all the time (at least their czech equivalents. But the game that showed me a whole other world was BANG!. I still remember the first time I played it. I was 12 or 13 back then, it was the end of a school year and the teachers needed something to keep us busy. And one of them had a friend who gave her this. OMG. It was amazing experience. I bought it just a short time after, together with Alhambra and Carcassonne. I must have played it hundreds of time. To this day, I don't like it when people (serious gamers) hate on it. I haven't played in some time but man, I do want to play again just remembering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poohdish Rattanavijai
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders. I played some TCG before but never truly get into board gaming, usually just play digital games. One night I was at my friend's place and he has a box of 7 Wonders so we gave it a try.

Fast-forward to two years later. I am now own over 20 board games and played countless sessions with multiple groups of people. It's fair to say I'm pretty obsessed with tabletop gaming right now.

That said I'm staying clear of TCG genre because I have had enough trying to collect that rare card for my deck back in the day with YuGi-Oh and those basketball card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
SPI's Foxbat and Phantom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
For my adult gaming run Zombies!!! was the first to blow my mind. The modular board helped me think past the classics, which for the most part I would play occasionally but would not consider myself a boardgamer. I didn't really start to collect and get heavy into games until I played Power Grid at a friends, who also happened to have Zombies!!!

When I was younger I would say Heroquest planted the seed that got me into a few other Games Workshop games(I have never played Warhammer or 40K to this day). This leads to my modern money bleeding addiction to miniature heavy dungeon crawls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny I started gaming with traditional hex and counter wargames and historical miniature gaming. And then went into roleplaying games. Then played a bunch of miniature gaming before getting into board gaming.

The one game that has been with me through all the genres of gaming was Nuclear War. With guest appearances from Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouse Trap drew me in and hooked me at a very young age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies got me into board gaming.

Shogun/Samurai Swords got me into the board game hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me,I played Monopoly as a kid, but when I discovered that you could take over the world in a board game (Risk), I was instantly hooked! In high school I started playing Axis & Allies which is like Risk on steroids. Later, I played Settlers of Catan at a friend's place which made the transition to Starfarers of Catan really easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan in 2002 ish got me interesting. What really drew me deep was Puerto Rico and Dominion in 2010.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
I guess for me it was a combination of Catan and Magic: The Gathering. Those games appeal to probably my biggest interests: building stuff and fantasy themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering was my first real table-top game addiction. I used to read INQUEST magazine and gobble up every article on the new CCGs and games coming out. Lack of readily available gaming buddies really bummed me out so I took some breaks in between.

For more modern board games, I attended a gathering at the local library in 2011 and really started getting into the hobby since then. Now I go to 4 or more meetups during the week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember anything that happened when I was that young. I think it must have been something like Snakes and Ladders or Noughts and Crosses.

Chess was the first game I became addicted to.

Diplomacy was the game that got me into 'the hobby'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had board games every Christmas as a kid. My favourites were War of the Daleks, Which Witch? (Haunted House) and Ghost Train. Wish I still had them....

The modern game that got me interested again was Munchkin, closely followed by Carcassonne. It was all downhill from there.
*cough* 73 games and counting *cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents had Smess which I always wanted to play because I liked the board but my Uncle had King Oil which was the coolest looking thing to 8yo me. It looked like a toy but had some mysterious depth to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.