BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 1st euro for a secret gamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I have been a geek all my life, but only discovered modern board games 2 years ago. And I am all in. Much to my surprise, my sister has displayed a great interest in gaming that I never knew she had (we are in our 40s).
We have had recently a few epic evenings with One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and she has bought Sushi Go! and we have played a few great games of that. Now the time has come to introduce her to a medium euro game. And I really don't want to mess this up. So I am looking for a medium size euro that has a bit of theme to it (I showed her Castles of Burgundy at the game shop today and she said that she needed a bit more theme). If it could be played as a two player game that would be good to as she would like to be able to play with her husband.
My favourite mid level euro with some theme is Navegador, but it clearly can't be played with 2. Any suggestions?
Thank you so much for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Does she like solving puzzles? If so, and she shows any interest in a co-op game, perhaps Pandemic would be a good one. A common gateway, not difficult to learn but there are ways to make the game harder for experienced players, somewhat thematic, and it plays 2-4 (but can easily be played solo if she wants to play by herself as well--that's how I play it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Hi Marina,
I am actually buying Pandemic for them, as it is one of my favourites, and does fulfill the two player requirement (am toying with the idea of flashpoint as I have never played that). I am staying with them for two weeks so I will be around to coach them into the world of euros. I love coops, and I think they will enjoy it. But I Am also looking for a classic euro though (worker placement, area control are among my favourite mechanisms).
Two other euros I love are Rococo and Prince and Princes by Mathias Cramer if that helps.
Many thanks

(do not like stone age at all, and looking for just bit above that in weight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ziegler
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Viticulture or Agricola? Both are medium weight Euros, both can be played two player (although I think Viticulture is slightly superior in this regard), and both have strong farming themes.

Another thought would be Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. It is definitely heavier than the other two, but the fact that it is coop balances that out to some degree. It is also possibly the most thematic game I have ever played, with every event in the game having a storyline explanation for why it happened. It also plays well with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne perhaps? Great two player game - and extends to 3-4 easily. Another great direction is taking her into Worker Placement games - Stone Age is a classic and easy to play. For co-op, Pandemic is essential, but an earlier and easier entry is Forbidden Island.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Thank you John, vitculture is definitely on my short list. Nice to hear it can be played well with 2. Had not been thinking at all of Robinson Crusoe, but definitely will look into it, as I could guide them along, and then leave them with it. I ve heard so many good things about it.
AB, thanks for your recommendations, but I am looking for somehting a bit heavier (pretty sure I mentioned earlier that I dislike stone age whistle)
So far Viticulture and Robinson crusoe seem like good fits. (and pandemic is a done deal) anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a little lighter than you were thinking, but I'd recommend Takenoko.

It's a great game with an irresistible theme, and the panda figurine is super cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Have you tried Navegador with two? I actually think it's a fantastic 2-player game. Especially if you use this set-up variant designed by Tom Lehmann:

2-Player setup variant (minor change)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely advise against Robinson Crusoe; it is a much heavier game than anything else listed here. I've tried introducing it to someone (that sounds) much like your sister, and it downright overwhelmed them.

Viticulture is a great suggestion. Thematic, easy to learn, and works quite well with two. Besides, there are a couple of good expansions that can add more complexity, if needed.

My gf suggested San Juan (second edition), which also works well with all player counts.

Personally, I also really liked Shakespeare, which felt like a truly thematic euro, but - like RC - it is much heavier than what I believe you're asking for here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some Cult of the Old?

Tikal is my suggestion: great design(ers), nice theme, area control mechanism.
Some would say the game is best with 4 and recommended with 3.
But with Mini Tikal version, the game is great with 2 also.
YMMV, of course, but, at least, she should give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
In my top 10 because of fun factor...and my go to Euro: Stone Age

Very easy, thematic and fun. Not too long...it was the game that brought me into the Euro fold and I will always love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
rayzor6 wrote:
In my top 10 because of fun factor...and my go to Euro: Stone Age

When I was starting the hobby (not very long ago) I bought Stone Age on a whim and I'm glad I did. It's the perfect light-weight game to get people hooked on Euros. I introduced it to my family and it's their favorite game. (I've tried getting them to play other Euros but they don't take to it like they did Stone Age.)

Another great light to medium weight Euro that I've discovered recently is Welcome to Walnut Grove. Great little tile laying/ worker placement game with a pleasant American frontier/farming theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your suggestions so far.
Shakespeare is definitely on my short list. looked into robinson crusoe which is just too heavy. Hearing that there was a Navegador 2 player variant, I decided that the matter was settled....didn't realize that it was out of print and going for 200 dollars on ebay surprise
vitculture also on the very short list (that is the sort of euro that i think really would please them). Any more suggestions before I pull the trigger? Thank you. Looking for around 2.75 to 3.15 weight games

keepers so far: Pandemic and vitculture or shakespeare (will look into walnut grove as soon as I can. sounds great. Liked the san juan suggestion, but really wanted to get them a board board game)

PPS ....and I really really don't want to get them stone age despite the fact that it really is a very good game and a good euro intromodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mb
Walnut Grove is a good middle weight Euro. It's pretty much "Little House on the Prairie" in a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here are some other nicely themed light-mid weight euro board-boardgames to consider:

Roll for the Galaxy
Five Tribes
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Istanbul
Akrotiri (2 player only)

also, Concordia has a fairly generic "mediterranian euro" theme, but it is an excellent game and it looks impressive on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The light/medium games I love to play with me gf is Carcassonne and Broom Service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Thank you so much all for your help.
At the end of the day, I really agonized over this choice. Here were my final purchases.

Pandemic. Because it realy is one of my favourite games. I can lead my sister and her husband into a game or two, and if they like it, it is a good two player game, and if they really really like it they can move on to Legacy (though i did give some serious thought to Flash Point Fire Rescue in terms of theme. Rhado convinced me that Pandemic was a bit thinkier)

Rococo. 57 bucks is a lot to pay for a boardgame, but I really wanted a worker placement game (this has the added bonus of having hand management as a secondary mechanic). And the theme is just fun.
It beat out Viticulture which would have been great theme wise and game mechanic wise. Might regret that. Shakespeare has a great theme and looks wonderful, it just seemed a bit too heavy, or too abstract for new gamers. Walnut Grove was a great suggestion. Had never heard of it, and agonized over it because it looks great, and has so many great intro mechanics to board games. I guess I was swayed by it's relatively low standing on BGG which is a bit stupid. I might end up getting that one later. Great suggestion.

5 Tribes. Only played once, but I think it is a really good game. Might introduce my sister to this game but end up packing it with me when I leave.

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions
PS I forgot to say that I am a guest at my sister's right now and will have two weeks to get her going on boardgames. Then she will be on her own.
cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Consider targi as an intro euro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.