Subject: The proper way to cut a sandwich rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb

Poll
This sandwich is cut properly into quarters
Yes, yes it is.
That's one way to do it, I suppose. Who cares?
Hell no!
      136 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the way that all of my sandwiches were cut, as a kid.

Sorry mom, but you were completely wrong. Diagonals are the only proper way to cut a sandwich into quarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would exchange "bad" and "stupid" in the graphic above.

With the "stupid" cut, you are, at least, left with two halves, one a mirror image of the other.

With the "bad" cut, your two halves do not even have the same shape. That is stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McChrisface
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm reluctant to invoke buzzfeed but.....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nathanwpyle/scientific-reasons-diag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutting sandwiches is pointless unless they are being eaten by small children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandwiches on regular loaf bread should be cut in half, not quarters, on the diagonal, as this makes it easier to keep ones face clean while enjoying the sandwich.

Sandwiches for tea parties for little children or southern women may be cut into quarters on the square.

Subs (hoagies, grinders, etc.) should be cut in half with a bias cut, again because it makes it easier to stay cleaner.

Sandwiches on round rolls or similar (bagels, english muffins, eggo waffles, etc). Should not be cut in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In quarters is for kids. Sandwiches aren't cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
We all know if you cut a sandwich into quarters you must also trim off the crust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:
We all know if you cut a sandwich into quarters you must also trim off the crust.

NOOOOOOOO! That's the best part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's ok. The crusts are tossed to the starving masses (offering them cake did not go well last time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut my sandwiches with my teeth.

If I ever have another PB&J in my life, let me tell you that sucker better be cut... and I want a juice box too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Once my children cross into Middle School, it is no longer cool to have a sandwich cut. Which saves me time in the morning, but every now & then I feel sad that they are growing up. Then I remember that there will be grandchildren eventually and they will have their own sandwich cutting rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I cut my sandwiches I use the stupid way, because I can then open them up (like pac-man's jaw on an invisible hinge) on the plate and put potato chips between the halves. A diagonal cut isn't as good for that, because the three corners of each half want to be off the edge of the plate when you "hinge" it open.

Plus, with the other two cuts you have asymmetry if the loaf of bread has a distinct "top" side. The stupid cut, as mentioned previously, preserves this symmetry.

Although I like the "keep your face clean" theory of the diagonal cut, the stupid cut makes the sandwich narrow enough that I can keep my face clean eating each half end-to-end, so this isn't an issue for me.

I eat sandwiches (and think about eating sandwiches) a LOT. I even make explicit requests about the order of items on my sandwich, bottom-to-top, because of how they interact with each other, the dressing(s), the bread, and my mouth. I am careful about how I hold a sandwich the first time I pick it up and how I progress through the sandwich (including orchestrating a "last bite" that is as close as possible to the Platonic ideal of the sandwich), and I laugh mercilessly at people who try to put a messy sandwich back down on their plate and pick it up again later.

This is serious business, and the stupid cut is far superior to all other cuts for that type of bread.

Of course, this reaises the question, "Why in the heck are you using that type of bread?" Wouldn't you like a nice onion roll, or maybe a Dutch crunch roll, or even a Kaiser? Maybe a few slices of challah, or possibly a croissant would be more to your liking. I guess if it's rye then I can see this being an issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's grilled cheese, diagonal, if it's anything else, up/down orthogonal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
What is this... "cut"... of which you speak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
1 piece of bread folded in half is how a professional eater such as myself does it.

This eliminates one avenue of potential leakage.

When you want an adult with superior insight to enter the conversation, geekmail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
If I cut my sandwiches I use the stupid way, because I can then open them up (like pac-man's jaw on an invisible hinge) on the plate and put potato chips between the halves. A diagonal cut isn't as good for that, because the three corners of each half want to be off the edge of the plate when you "hinge" it open.

Plus, with the other two cuts you have asymmetry if the loaf of bread has a distinct "top" side. The stupid cut, as mentioned previously, preserves this symmetry.

Although I like the "keep your face clean" theory of the diagonal cut, the stupid cut makes the sandwich narrow enough that I can keep my face clean eating each half end-to-end, so this isn't an issue for me.

I eat sandwiches (and think about eating sandwiches) a LOT. I even make explicit requests about the order of items on my sandwich, bottom-to-top, because of how they interact with each other, the dressing(s), the bread, and my mouth. I am careful about how I hold a sandwich the first time I pick it up and how I progress through the sandwich (including orchestrating a "last bite" that is as close as possible to the Platonic ideal of the sandwich), and I laugh mercilessly at people who try to put a messy sandwich back down on their plate and pick it up again later.

This is serious business, and the stupid cut is far superior to all other cuts for that type of bread.

Of course, this reaises the question, "Why in the heck are you using that type of bread?" Wouldn't you like a nice onion roll, or maybe a Dutch crunch roll, or even a Kaiser? Maybe a few slices of challah, or possibly a croissant would be more to your liking. I guess if it's rye then I can see this being an issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the way it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Once my children cross into Middle School, it is no longer cool to have a sandwich cut. Which saves me time in the morning, but every now & then I feel sad that they are growing up.

Only every now and then? I feel that sadness every day. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:

He made many good points, particularly the Last Bite Theory. But then he lost all credibility with his last sentence. Good Jewish rye (with seeds, of course) is the One True Bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I usually do the "stupid" cut, although I probably do the "bad" cut a reasonable percentage of the time. I never cut diagonally.

I cut a sandwich to make it easier to eat. It's mostly about efficiency. I'm not worried about sloppiness, because eating sloppily shows that you're enjoying your food.

Probably the principle reason I don't cut diagonally is that my mom didn't cut sandwiches that way and it never occurred to me to do it once I graduated to sandwich cutting duties. Frankly, it seems overly dainty. But there are tangible problems with it as well. If you're dealing with homogenious sandwich content, like PB&J, tuna salad, or ham, it doesn't much matter. But with something like corned beef and pastrami, with a sideways or lengthwise cut, you can lay the pieces of meat parallel to the cut, minimizing the chances you're slashing through meat pieces and destroying the optimal arrangement of meat you so lovingly placed. With a diagonal cut, this is pretty much impossible and there will be much tearing of meat and the angels will cry. Besides, if you cut your corned beef and pastrami sandwich diagonally, you'll be laughed out of every Jewish deli in existance.

I will also note that decent rye (the aforementioned One True Bread) is usually much more oblong than nasty old white bread, which is much closer to being a square. A diagonal cut of a rye bread sandwich is therefore much more difficult and looks kind of silly.

Many of my food decisions are based on the "last bite" theory. It must be the best bite of food on my plate. So much of our eating habits come from our childhood. In addition to my obsession over the perfect last bite, I usually eat my food from the outside to the inside. So I eat the perimeter of the sandwich first, before I get to the middle (same with burgers) and I eat hot dogs from both ends. I'm not sure why, it's just something I developed as a child. My wife's favorite comfort food meal is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, and when she has it, the sandwiches must be cut lengthwise into thirds, because that's how her mom cut them. These are called "soldiers". Freud would have had a field day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
But then he lost all credibility with his last sentence. Good Jewish rye (with seeds, of course) is the One True Bread.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that a good rye is not a fantastic choice for bread. I just meant that it is one of the exceptions in terms of shape. (If you choose rye then the cut is an issue, and the stupid cut is the best cut.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Many of my food decisions are based on the "last bite" theory. It must be the best bite of food on my plate. So much of our eating habits come from our childhood. In addition to my obsession over the perfect last bite, I usually eat my food from the outside to the inside. So I eat the perimeter of the sandwich first, before I get to the middle (same with burgers) and I eat hot dogs from both ends. I'm not sure why, it's just something I developed as a child. My wife's favorite comfort food meal is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, and when she has it, the sandwiches must be cut lengthwise into thirds, because that's how her mom cut them. These are called "soldiers". Freud would have had a field day.

I'll bet you're not the only one employing "last bite" theory.
I have the same favorite comfort food as your wife does-- tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, but I only got "soldiers" for a soft boiled egg.
Eating food from the outside in, on the other hand, is completely bonkers. laugh

BTW-- I didn't create the bad/ stupid cutting graphic, but I copied it because it did amuse me a lot. People have strong feelings about the dumbest things, obviously.

Poll
1. When you eat your food, do you...
Save the apparent (visually) "best" bit for last?
Save the apparent (taste/ texture anticipation) bits for last?
Save a bit of everything and have one last combination bite to finish up?
Eat whatever happens to go onto the fork; no saving the best?
Eat the apparent best part first, because you can't wait for it?
Something else altogether?
2. When you eat cake, do you...
Deliberately save the parts with the most icing/ frosting for last?
Start at the thin end and work to the thick end, and just happen to eat the icing parts last?
Start with the thick end but leave the top edge (and icing) for the end?
Something else altogether?
      28 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Cutting sandwiches is pointless unless they are being eaten by small children.
I find it unwieldy to eat a foot long Subway sandwich without cutting it into two pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd go for the so-called 'bad' cut because the rounded end always tastes better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.