The Grizzled» Forums » General

Subject: Easiest player count? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I only played the game 2 time with 3 players. It felt easy once we have found the best way to play it.

Does 3 player is the easiest difficulty, 4 player is medium and 5 player is the hardest?

ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. It seems you wiuld have to analyze lots of games at different counts to draw a conclusion that wasn't subjective perception.

In several five-player games we found it easy only to discover we weren't playing by the rule that the morale drop was always a minimum of three cards even if the players had less than 3 in total in their hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

generalpotato wrote:
It felt easy once we have found the best way to play it.

Now you've got me curious as to what this "best way" is? I've played at both three and four player, several times, and didn't notice a difference. But then again I don't pay a whole lot of attention to some nuances when I play games!

Is your "best way" ever affected by how the decks are shuffled? I mean, I've found some games to be harder than others simply due to the way the cards are drawn.

Plus, we're making the assumption that the players in your group aren't talking to each other? I.e., are not... discussing cards in hand, specific intentions, dropping hints of what cards are good to play, what threat to make a speech about, etc?

Plus, you might want to look at the Community-based player count poll (found in top section of the main Grizzled page). For instance, 39% say the game is best with four players, while only 10% say its best with three).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played about a dozen times (never with 2, but equally 3, 4, or 5), I would say three players is definitely easier. It just seems harder to get the groupthink groove going with four or five players and the Hard Knocks tougher to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have enough experience at different player counts to say.

But - as far as difficulty? If it is too easy, either talk less, or up the number of cards in the starting draw deck. Or both. This game can be very challenging at any player count (3+ ... I haven't tried the 1-2 player counts with the expansion yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 6 games and 5 of them were 2 player. I found 2 player to be VERY swingy, it was either near impossible or a cake walk. The last game was a 5 player game and it was tough but not unreasonable.

This could just be a learning curve issue or maybe we were playing the 2 player variant wrong but I will be avoiding playing 2 player from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Riva
msg tools
Having played with different player numbers I would say that the higher the number of players, the more difficult the game gets. Coordinating the support is relatively easy with three players and way more complicated with four or five players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
In my experience, I have found it is easiest to win the base game with 3 players and hardest with 5. This is mostly due to the amount of Speech tokens available in each format (5 for 3-player, only 3 for 5-player). A 4-player game is also nice (when you can have 4 chances to get rid of 4 cards from 4 hands with Speeches), but the even number can often result in Support ties, which really hurt you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.