Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it solo this morning and had a lot of fun. The campaign adds a lot of replayabity and I will continue my next few games with the campaign. The talent/flaw abilities, ship strikes and upgrades, and episode inter-missions added a lot of fun elements to the game.

I tried Big Trouble solo last night. Had to play as two players because there are no true solo rules and the Final Showdown is included. Big Trouble was fun but definitely meant for 2+ players. I think I'll play it solo with Dark City rules and it won't be that different. There aren't too many "Take that" cards. Overall the game was fun and glad I got it, but Firefly was better solo I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't really play every character- it's 4 in the deck, you choose a character to play, and the rest are there because several cards refer to certain characters being main or not and certain characters gaining strikes. The extra avatars don't interfere with the game too much. I think there is a ton of replayability due to the campaign mode. I'll get five games in with the same characters through all episodes. Then I could play through the campaign again and switch the characters, episode order, etc.

I thought the replayability of Aliens and Predator wasn't great because you play with all four characters of a certain movie. Sure you can mix them up, but you can in Firefly too. So if I want to play through the episodes, I can mix up which characters I play with whereas if I just wanted to play the Predator 1 movie, I don't have that flexibility.

And I thought the art didn't interfere with the overall experience too much. Some of the drawings don't look like the characters but the really bad drawings aren't too bad once you're playing (flaws, strikes). I wish the art was better but I still really enjoyed the game despite some of the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, side jobs. They are like the Drone deck or Mercenary/Young Bloods. They seem cool but in a solo game you mix 0 into each mini-deck, so I didn't get to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make the game slightly easier, sure, you could definitely mix 1 or more in. It's even a variant for adjusting difficulty in the rule book. They have harder difficulty adjustments too so maybe add in a side job to each deck and use a harder difficulty adjustment to balance the effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They make it easier because it lengthens the time in the episode and you can get more credits to upgrade Serenity. I'm not sure how much easier it makes the game because I haven't used them or really read the text in depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want, you could play solo two-handed since it's a coop game. With two hands you would add one side job to each episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each side job has a downside or negative effect for not completing it. They make the game easier by giving players additional bonuses for completing them.

Additionally, If you played a solo game with two characters as players then you could add side jobs without altering the difficulty of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's part of the required deck. In a two-player game, you mix one to each mini-deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacques
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes it easier if you add more than the required amount. In order for the game to scale well for more players, they have determined a certain amount of side jobs to add to each deck. The episode deck contains the same amount of cards for each episode, so the only thing separating the decks being different for more players is these side jobs. If you use more than the required amount, it will lengthen the intended amount of time and allow more credits to be earned than intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With any Legendary or Legendary Encounters game, the fewer players you have, the easier the game becomes overall.

Because the game (Villian deck in Marvel, Episode deck in Firefly, etc.) progresses once per turn. With fewer players, the players' deck(s) improve alot quicker, and can more easily deal with the enemies, where as with lots of players, the decks remain weaker because the improvements are divided out more.

Side Jobs basically serve as a buffer in the Episode Deck, with each one drawn being a turn that doesn't produce an enemy that you have to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game. Despite all the complaining on here, the art doesn't really bother me. And IMO, the game mechanics make for a fun Firefly experience.

My only issue so far (after a handful of plays) is that the first episode (Serenity Pt 1) that the rulebook suggests as the introduction for new players) has repeatedly been the hardest, compared to other episodes, due to a fairly tough Enemy Ship being present (and for my games, it always seems to come out early), which means accumulating lots of ship strikes, which can ruin your game alot quicker than crew strikes.

I've played two sessions with 5 players each, and those were both quite challenging. And I've played 2-3 solo/playing2-hand games, which were easier (but I found more fun/less frustrating).

for "solo" play, I enjoy playing 2 (or more) hands myself, versus playing just one hand. Going true solo makes the "coordinate" mechanic more or less useless, but it fully functions when playing multi-hand. And it is fully co-op anyway. Plus, you get a bit more variety of character talents that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gilford wrote:
--Question, in the other Encounter games, you can add drones for variety of play, BUT ALSO add extra baddies to increase difficulty.

Does that work here?

In the game as written, the actual encounters (enemies, events, etc.) are all epsisode-specific and each episode has the same amount regardless of the number of players. You could pull extra enemies from other episode decks and mix them in if you really wanted to, though I'd advise against that until you've played through all the episodes a time or two as normal.

LE: Firefly does add a new mechanic via the Talent/Flaw system. Each player/hand takes on an Avatar (i.e. Mal, or Kaylee), who each have a unique "Talent" and a unique "Flaw". The more Talent cards in the deck, the easier the game becomes, and the more Flaw cards, the harder it becomes. So you can adjust the difficulty level by adding more of those two types of cards if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Lab Games
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted video playthrough this morning. Should see it pop up in the video section shortly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
gilford wrote:
ooohhhh...

So if you have 1 player 2, or 3.... the player deck remains same size, so with 1 player you have more resources, but 2,3 player all draw from the one source, so harder to get a good working "hand" per player... right? so adding side jobs just balance that added difficulty out a bit for multiplayer.

--Question, in the other Encounter games, you can add drones for variety of play, BUT ALSO add extra baddies to increase difficulty.

Does that work here?

I think the easiest way to understand it is to assume that the enemy deck is going to give you 30 turns. Playing solo, you'll get all of those turns yourself, so you'll go through your deck about 12 times or so. Playing with 2 players, you'll add in 3 cards, so you've got 33 turns, but now that's divided by 2, so each of you will get about 16 turns, or about 6-7 times through your deck. With 3 players you'll each get 12 turns, so about 5 times through your deck.

The more turns you get to play, the better your deck becomes. This is what makes the game potentially harder with more players.

In Marvel Legendary, the villain deck gets significantly bigger for each player you add. I feel like it is a little more forgiving at higher player counts (although it makes for a much longer game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locutus Zero
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
gilford wrote:
ooohhhh... :p

So if you have 1 player 2, or 3.... the player deck remains same size, so with 1 player you have more resources, but 2,3 player all draw from the one source, so harder to get a good working "hand" per player... right? so adding side jobs just balance that added difficulty out a bit for multiplayer.

The thing they are balancing against isn't exactly the size of the HQ deck, it's the number of turns each player has in an Episode. There are 10 cards in the episode A decks, for instance. A single player will get to play 10 rounds before the last card of the episode comes out, 6 more (I think) before the episode end is forced by the yellow card. By round 7, he's bought 6 cards and shuffled his deck twice, so his hands now have some good cards in them.

In a 5 player game, without side jobs, there are still 16 turns in Episode A, but only 3 rounds. Each player, other than player 1, will only get 3 turns. Those hands will be garbage.

The side jobs extend the amount of turns each player gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
gilford wrote:
ooohhhh...

The thing they are balancing against isn't exactly the size of the HQ deck, it's the number of turns each player has in an Episode. There are 10 cards in the episode A decks, for instance. A single player will get to play 10 rounds before the last card of the episode comes out, 6 more (I think) before the episode end is forced by the yellow card. By round 7, he's bought 6 cards and shuffled his deck twice, so his hands now have some good cards in them.

In a 5 player game, without side jobs, there are still 16 turns in Episode A, but only 3 rounds. Each player, other than player 1, will only get 3 turns. Those hands will be garbage.

The side jobs extend the amount of turns each player gets.

Not sure if you all realize but the rules outline that 4/5 player games will receive 1/2 preparation rounds where you skip the episode phase and simply go purchase some cards. I'm pretty sure this balances out a lot of these issues. Additionally, despite not being able to purchase as many cards every player can play a single coordinate cards on each players turn. This also helps bring the power level up to par despite the diluted decks and makes the game even more so about working as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
using Coordinate is a big help in this game (and pretty much essential in the 4-5 player game). Helps your teammates build up recruit to buy more powerful cards, or attack points to take on enemies.

Plus, whenever you coordinate a card to someone, you get to draw a replacement for it into your hand right away, so coordinating doesn't leave you shorthanded on your turn.

That's why I'm tempted to integrate some Commanders or Sergeants from other LE games to supplement the 5 Browncoats, at least in 4-5 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locutus Zero
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
Not sure if you all realize but the rules outline that 4/5 player games will receive 1/2 preparation rounds where you skip the episode phase and simply go purchase some cards.
I wasn't thinking about that in my explanation, but I am aware. Side jobs, coordinate, and the prep rounds are all pretty needed to balance things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the actual deck your building.
With more players you should be able to boost 1 or 2 players towards an optimal deck. The chance with only 2 you both have decks that run less then optimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.