Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the pass/fail text hidden until AFTER you have passed or failed test for the attack. At that point you would have already decided how many Clues you wanted to commit to the attack and then, when you saw the pass or fail you would know whether using those extra Clues was a good idea or not?

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would probably significantly increase the play time and fiddliness without really adding anything good to the game.
Just having to push an extra button every single attack can really add up. And all you get out of it is an arbitrarily more difficult game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the existing discussion.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1618236/minor-chage-id-love...

Chipacabra wrote:
That would probably significantly increase the play time and fiddliness without really adding anything good to the game.
Just having to push an extra button every single attack can really add up. And all you get out of it is an arbitrarily more difficult game.

Making it an option you can turn on would not effect you and would allow those who want it to have a more immersive experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

Chipacabra wrote:

Making it an option you can turn on would not effect you and would allow those who want it to have a more immersive experience.

Apologies. Looked for an existing discussion but couldn't see one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
kelann08 wrote:

Chipacabra wrote:

But would still require significant redesigning when it's actually something extremely easy to implement anyway by simply having a third party read the text for the person doing the test so they don't know the outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Chipacabra wrote:

But would still require significant redesigning when it's actually something extremely easy to implement anyway by simply having a third party read the text for the person doing the test so they don't know the outcomes.

Easy for a tablet/phone; less easy if it is being displayed on a big-ass monitor/screen!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Chipacabra wrote:

Unless you're playing solo, which I do exclusively with this game.

It doesn't take a redesign, it would take an adjustment to the existing design. Take out the text, add a step to indicate if you passed or failed, then get the applicable text. The programming would be work, but the design is easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tired as hell after my first session (wow, this game can really drain a person, yeah?), but:

1. Hell yes, I am 100% onboard with this being altered.

2. The easy fix (for now) is to pass the device around, and has the added benefit of engaging an off-turn player in the active player's role.

We had the game projected on a big screen situated in front of the table, and ran the game off Steam... but in the future we'll definitely keep the TV off and go with handing around an iPad 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
It doesn't take a redesign, it would take an adjustment to the existing design. Take out the text, add a step to indicate if you passed or failed, then get the applicable text. The programming would be work, but the design is easy.

The programming to add the extra prompt is the easy bit. But depending on how the text for the tests is currently structured, someone may need to go through it all & split it up into "test" & "resolution" blocks, and then some proof-reading / checking. Unless (as I suspect) the tests are already partially-generated / mix-&-match, in which case it could already be structured that way, making the job easier.

Anyway, at the same time (for little extra effort) they might even break up the text into paragraphs as I saw suggested by someone on a similar thread, to aid readability...

Quote:
Flavour Text

Test Instructions ([SYMBOL] ; X)

If you pass...

If you fail...

I assume you guys are letting FFG know about your great ideas to improve the app via softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Winterflood
England
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was something I was thinking about as it did seem like cheating to read the pass result and see if the test results counted on the damage done before deciding to use extra clues tokens to add results.

What I have done with this and Eldritch Horror is just read up to the point it says Pass and then stop. make the test, decide on spending any extra clues and then just read the Pass or Fail section.

But yes I thought it would have been good, as it was digital, to have the result only revealed after test complete. This could have been done with the spell cards also, having the flip effect done in App but then I suppose they couldn't sell us more cards later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm use to playing EH, as my friend and I read the top few lines of what to do, then do the test without reading what the pass/fail is. I do the same in this game, glance at the test, do it then finish reading the pass/fail on the screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.