$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 104.23

6,536 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fire and monster question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Can fire spread through a door? And through a barricade?

If there are two adjacent spaces, fire spreads both way?

Can be there more than one fire tokens in one space?

When do we use the monsters horror and awareness value? I mean, the app never asked us to use any of that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Use monster horror to choose (most horrific) monster if more than one could horrify you; use highest awareness to choose which monster to evade where more than one needs evading.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither doors nor barricades block adjacency, so I think fire can spread through them. And fire spreads into ONE adjacent space, so you only ever place one new token (per separate fire...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can Fire also spread to the street (outside tiles in General) or only inside the house?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Piledriver wrote:
Can Fire also spread to the street (outside tiles in General) or only inside the house?

The rules are clear on this point: "If one or more
spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a
space that contains Fire."

Nothing there about outside/inside, so yes, it can spread to any space.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jophan wrote:
Piledriver wrote:
Can Fire also spread to the street (outside tiles in General) or only inside the house?

The rules are clear on this point: "If one or more
spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a
space that contains Fire."

Nothing there about outside/inside, so yes, it can spread to any space.

And it even seems to spread through wall! (Adjacent p.4)
(Am I right on that)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
jophan wrote:
Piledriver wrote:
Can Fire also spread to the street (outside tiles in General) or only inside the house?

The rules are clear on this point: "If one or more
spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a
space that contains Fire."

Nothing there about outside/inside, so yes, it can spread to any space.

And it even seems to spread through wall! (Adjacent p.4)
(Am I right on that)?


No. See bullet point 5 under "Wall" in the RR...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:
jophan wrote:
Piledriver wrote:
Can Fire also spread to the street (outside tiles in General) or only inside the house?

The rules are clear on this point: "If one or more
spaces contain Fire, place one Fire token in a space adjacent to a
space that contains Fire."

Nothing there about outside/inside, so yes, it can spread to any space.

And it even seems to spread through wall! (Adjacent p.4)
(Am I right on that)?


No. See bullet point 5 under "Wall" in the RR...

So this rules are instantly winning title "useless crap". This is not the first time with them when they hide important detail in a way that you do not even know, that it is hidden.

- I want to know how fire spreads, I go to Fire section. There is written that it spreads to "adjacent" space.
- I go to Adjacent to see what that means. They specifically say that spaces separated by wall ARE adjacent. I have no reason to look further.
- And as you pointed out, at wall section they contradicted it with specific rule. So the fire cannot go through wall. And anything else cannot, because wall will break Adjacency.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not rules reference, but full rules, which you have to read fully, but written in completely unpleasant way. It is like reading a dictionary.
I like to read in dictionary but not from A to Z...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
Can fire spread through a door? And through a barricade?

If there are two adjacent spaces, fire spreads both way?

Can be there more than one fire tokens in one space?

When do we use the monsters horror and awareness value? I mean, the app never asked us to use any of that.


To summarize:

d10-1 Fire can spread through doors and barricades, but not walls.

d10-2 Fire spreads in the mythos phase. When this happens, you place one Fire token in a space of your choice that is adjacent to a space containing Fire (see point 1 above). There cannot be more than one Fire token in a space (it would be redundant).

d10-3 There are no restrictions to which spaces can contain Fire, so Fire can spread to spaces that are outdoors, even if they are street spaces or contain water.

d10-4 The monster Horror value is used when an investigator needs to make a Horror check and there are multiple monsters in range. In this case, he or she makes one Horror check against the monster with the highest Horror value. Similarly, if an investigator is in a space with two or more monsters and needs to Evade, he or she makes one Evade check against the monster with the highest Awareness value.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
- And as you pointed out, at wall section they contradicted it with specific rule. So the fire cannot go through wall. And anything else cannot, because wall will break Adjacency.


There's an important distinction to make here. Walls do not specifically break adjacency. Two spaces separated by a wall ARE still adjacent, but walls block movement, range, and effects that rely on adjacency (like fire spreading).

Why is this important? Ghost monsters are specifically allowed to move through walls. If walls blocked adjacency, they would not be able to do that.

(I agree that in some cases that rules for various situations can be tough to track down, as they may not be where you expect and you have to follow the logical chain. I suspect this is because the rules are stated very precisely, and without a lot of redundancy. If rules are repeated in multiple places, it gets to be a pain because you have to be careful to state the rules the same in each place and not create inconsistencies. The Rules Reference is really intended to be used as a Reference book and not read from beginning to end, though I have done that.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for summary, but I have to disagree with your conclusion.
jlhorner1974 wrote:
... as they may not be where you expect and you have to follow the logical chain.

In case of fire logical chain ends at adjacency. No need to look further. RPG lore and common sense could alert you to check specificaly for walls, but not logic. In real world fire can spread through walls so...
Quote:
I suspect this is because the rules are stated very precisely, and without a lot of redundancy. ... The Rules Reference is really intended to be used as a Reference book and not read from beginning to end, though I have done that.)

If it would be intended as rules reference, redundancy will not be any issue. Because they attempt to avoid redundancy, and so several important rules are missing in places where they should be, leads me to the conclusion that it is intended to be read at least once fully.

I so far found this fire through wall issue and "Flipping" which does not explain how flipping works properly. You have to go to wounds and insanity section. Where is there the logic?
I am just afraid, how many other important rules I missed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, I have just a little quick question about monster and fire.
The rules reference says "whenever a monster starts its activation in a space containing Fire or moves into a space containing Fire, it suffers one damage".
So assuming a monster starts its activation in a space with a Fire token and then moves 2 spaces where each one has a fire token, is the monster going to suffer 3 damages?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
So assuming a monster starts its activation in a space with a Fire token and then moves 2 spaces where each one has a fire token, is the monster going to suffer 3 damages?

Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Madazam wrote:
So assuming a monster starts its activation in a space with a Fire token and then moves 2 spaces where each one has a fire token, is the monster going to suffer 3 damages?

Yes.


Isn't a little too powerful as a method to get rid of monsters?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Madazam wrote:
Clipper wrote:
[q="Madazam"]So assuming a monster starts its activation in a space with a Fire token and then moves 2 spaces where each one has a fire token, is the monster going to suffer 3 damages?

Yes.


can someone confirm this? I also think it is too strong. I played my first game yesterday, i was kinda far ahead in the mansion and then the fire started in the kitchen. Monsters started to spawn in the fire lol It was so easy. During their phase, if they started and/or moved in the fire on , I gave them only 1 wound per turn max.

sorry for my english
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is clearly written. Yes, it is a good way to damage monsters. It is also a great way to damage Investigators, which is where the balance comes in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.