Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Soderlund
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were playing Trajan today and she landed on the Forum space. There was a Forum extra action tile, which she took and placed on her player board in the appropriate space. The question arose whether she could use it on that turn to take an extra forum action (i.e., to grab another forum tile. She also had a +2 on the Forum spot, so she would have actually been able to take two more tiles from the forum if she were able to activate the extra-action forum tile she had just picked up).

We scoured the rulebook for the answer but could not find it. If she had taken, say, an extra-action construction tile or military tile, she obviously would not be able to take one of those actions until she were to land on one of those spaces on a subsequent turn. But taking an extra-Forum-action tile raises the question of whether the fact that she is on the Forum space on her mancala means she can take the extra action now or will have to wait until she lands there on a subsequent turn.

We ruled that she would have to wait. Were we correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can use the extra action tile right away, but in the case of the Forum action, it creates brainless gameplay (the first player to go to the forum will pick it and spend it right away), so some players houserule that you must have had it at the beginning of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always burn it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Equalitytime wrote:
You were not correct. She could have used it immediately, and if she had a +2 extra action tile, she could have done 2 more Forum actions immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
beri2 wrote:
You can use the extra action tile right away, but in the case of the Forum action, it creates brainless gameplay (the first player to go to the forum will pick it and spend it right away), so some players houserule that you must have had it at the beginning of your turn.

I'm thinking another alternative could be to not allow that tile to be in the Forum. If it comes up, shuffle it back in, and only allow it to be placed in the military area at the top of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr E
Russia
flag msg tools
Equalitytime wrote:
We scoured the rulebook for the answer but could not find it. If she had taken, say, an extra-action construction tile or military tile, she obviously would not be able to take one of those actions until she were to land on one of those spaces on a subsequent turn. But taking an extra-Forum-action tile raises the question of whether the fact that she is on the Forum space on her mancala means she can take the extra action now or will have to wait until she lands there on a subsequent turn.

As it was mentioned already, player may use this "Extra Forum Action" tile immediately on Forum. And "Extra Military Action" on Military as well, when player picks it from a province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double action forum x2 can be very strong, but placing a x2 on that spot runs the risk that other players will take the tile first just to defensively burn it immediately.

That strikes me as fair enough. Personally I like the rules as they stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I always burn it immediately.
If it will be more effective to use it later, you shouldn't. So, for example, if you plan on getting the +2 modifier later on, you probably shouldn't use it right away. Or if the other tiles on offer aren't that great right now, then you wouldn't want to burn it immediately.

The only time I usually use it right away is if there is something else I want in the forum. If I have a modifier, then it just makes sense. And if I don't, then I'll usually use it to keep it from someone else. But if the forum tiles are weak, I'll save it for a double (or triple) grab in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should say almost always. There have been cases where I have saved it, but those are rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, Bryan's reasons to keep it would make more sense if the tiles in the forum were more likely to be bad. There is likely a better tile to take because this comes up for the first person to do a forum action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.