$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.5% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"It is not 'freedom of the press' when newspapers and others are allowed to say and write whatever they want even if it is completely false!" the Republican presidential nominee tweeted Sunday afternoon.

It looks like the the first thing on The Donald's list is the neutering of the First Amendment, at least as far as reporting on The Donald is concerned.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/29140...

It is seriously looking like The Donald and his lackeys want to impose a dictatorship on United States. The good news is that he will probably lose badly at the polls. The bad news is that there are signs at least some don't care about the outcome of the election. If they lose they seem to think its their duty to overthrow the said election

http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/yes-the-system-is-rigged/

My my, the mask is seems to be falling off the far right at last
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump seems to take issue with quite a few aspects of the Constitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no Trump fan but isn't what he said right? Freedom of the press doesn't mean you can write things that are completely false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The article is pretty funny:

Pat Buchannan wrote:
More than a dozen Republican rivals, described as the strongest GOP field since 1980, were sent packing. This was the year Americans rose up to pull down the establishment in a peaceful storming of the American Bastille.

But if it ends with a Clintonite restoration and a ratification of the same old Beltway policies, would that not suggest there is something fraudulent about American democracy, something rotten in the state?

Um, no, Pat. It wasn't "Americans" as a whole who went for Trump and Sanders. It was a minority of the diehards of the major parties. In Trump's case a minority was enough to win a majority of delegates; in Sanders's case it wasn't. Clinton got more primary votes than either Trump or Sanders.

Moreover, since then it's become increasingly clear that Trump isn't just an unconventional businessman who lacks polish or political correctness. The bullying, ego-maniacal, unqualified, unstable, ignorant narcissist that many people saw from the start has become increasingly obvious to the point where fewer and fewer people can ignore it.

Yes, there is a lot of anger at and dissatisfaction with the political elite. A different outsider candidate might have won the day. But the fact that Sanders didn't beat Clinton in the primaries and that Trump looks set to lose to her in the general doesn't mean that the system is rigged. It means that the Democratic party isn't as far left as Pat thinks and that if the GOP's worst elements take control of the wheel a lot of people -- including GOP loyalists -- will jump off the bus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
quozl wrote:
I'm no Trump fan but isn't what he said right? Freedom of the press doesn't mean you can write things that are completely false.

You can't libel or slander without opening yourself to a lawsuit, but you can write things which are neutral or positive. More importantly, Donald Trump doesn't get to decide what's true, which is the real problem. He doesn't seem to be advocating for a system in which lawsuits after the fact are possible, but one in which he has the power to prevent what he determines are falsehoods from even being printed in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hysteria of the left due to Trump is hilarious. The more I read RSP and the posting of some of my liberal friends on FB the more I want him to get elected. I mean, he will be a shit President but so was Bush and Obama. We survived them so it will be worth it to hear all the Safe space SJW's cry for 4 years.

This is terrifying? Son, you don't know what fear is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should just tell him the Press is being sarcastic. He should understand that and all would be fine b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
The more I read RSP and the posting of some of my liberal friends on FB the more I want him to get elected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

"A somewhat terrifying tweet from The Donald." That can literally be said of all the tweets his staff doesn't write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
The hysteria of the left due to Trump is hilarious. The more I read RSP and the posting of some of my liberal friends on FB the more I want him to get elected. I mean, he will be a shit President but so was Bush and Obama. We survived them so it will be worth it to hear all the Safe space SJW's cry for 4 years.

Sonny, there is nothing more terrifying than a President who wishes to abrogate as many Constitutional protections as he does. Especially since his sniveling followers seem so willing to go along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Sonny, there is nothing more terrifying than a President who wishes to abrogate as many Constitutional protections as he does. Especially since his sniveling followers seem so willing to go along with it.

even if his tweet meant that, which it didn't, any President doesn't just have the power to dissolve an amendment. This is right up there with people on the right saying Obama is going to take their guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

even if his tweet meant that, which it didn't, any President doesn't just have the power to dissolve an amendment. This is right up there with people on the right saying Obama is going to take their guns.

Did that make you want to vote for Obama?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

This is sensible? Son, you don't know what sense is.

Trump is the worst human and person that has ever run or won the office in modern times, and that is considering Nixon in the mix. Just an absolute fucktard on so many levels... it isn't the fact that he is alive, but the fact that a portion of our population is so fucking stupid to nominate this dried sack of dung. That is what is terrifying.

Not that I didn't think that the population was filled with low IQ mouth-breathers, I just didn't think there were so many of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

quozl wrote:

On the contrary, yes, it does; however, it's unprofitable in the long run to knowingly publish completely-false things because people can sue publications, websites, and television media for libel.

Moreover, in order to successfully sue for libel, one must be able to prove that what was published not was not only false but also was purposefully published with malice of forethought (knowing that it was false but published it anyway). One must also prove that he/she sustained some sort of meaningful damage from the libelous article or news story, too.

And just because Donald Trump alleges that something is false, that by no means makes it it so simply by virtue of his deeming it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Freedom of the press doesn't mean writing false stories. That's called lying. You really want the press to be free to lie to you?

And of course the crowd said "Yes!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Trump
msg tools
You got it all wrong. The problem was an autocorrect. I would never try to take away people's right to say things that are true. That would be not classy. What I meant to say was:

Quote:
It is not 'free Trump of the press' when newspapers and others are allowed to say and write whatever they want even if it is completely false!

But you know why it didn't get typed out right? YUUUUUGE hands. My hands are so yuge, they would make even Barb envious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

Unfortunately this attitude that I want my team to win so I can rub it in the faces of people on the other team is a very common thing. It is really written into our more base instincts. It also is the reason why several of our more conservative posters who say that they "hate" Trump obviously want him to win. (except of course those who unabashedly love him like Dashi and Koldfoot)

It's not all that different from sports rivalries such as Yankees vs Red Sox.

This article goes into the similarities between sports rivalries and partisanship

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-yankees-red-sox...

The problem is its a horrible way to choose who to support and it could have disastrous consequences.

The good news: Donald Trump is going to lose badly so we don't have to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Freedom of the press doesn't mean writing false stories. That's called lying. You really want the press to be free to lie to you?

Yes, I actually do want the press to be free to lie to us. Any time you think this is stupid, consider the alternative. Every story about to be published must first be analyzed by a bureaucrat who works for the Ministry of Truth Censorship Office Office for Journalistic Integrity. Only stories determined - by the government - to be true and accurate may be published. Yep. That'll work out well, won't it?

Sometimes, you just have to exercise your own best judgment on whether a news or opinion source is reliable and fair-minded. That's one of the hidden costs of democracy, but it's one I'm happy to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
The press has no right to print lies?

That would terrify him. His world would shatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Him who? Trump?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I agree with him the press (and no one else) should have a right to tell lies.

The problem is your constitution says (as been pointed out many times by RSP conservatives) otherwise.

Another problem is how do you stop them?

Yet again Donny proves just how much conservatives really give a shit about the things they make so much noise about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Him who? Trump?

Who called it "terrifying"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

Just because the story is unflattering about Trump, that doesn't make it a lie. Trump has a very strange relationship with The Truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

The problem is that Trump has not demonstrated this ubiquitous falsity. What he really means is the press isn't saying things the way he likes them and that is what he is out to suppress. If mere veracity is is real concern, he wouldn't rely so heavily on non disclosure agreements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
quozl wrote:

Yeah, libel isn't protected. Sorry, guys. Maybe dial the outrage back a tiny bit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.