GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 116.7

7,093 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
I broke out EFTAOIS for my gaming group last night. It was the first time three of the six players would be playing, so it was going to be interesting how things would turn out.

As luck would have it, when we divvied up the role cards I was an alien, and the three newbs were all humans. We played Galvani, and I moved to the right quickly, what was awesome is two of the humans also moved to the right, and both were in the same spot more or less, and one moved down and right.

I ended up eating both humans on turn 5, as they just made an easy-to-read straight beeline to the right, meeting their demise at Q9. At that time, the last remaining human was at O12. He then drew two Green cards in succession, leaving a trail heading to O13 and N13. I was luckily able to correctly read this movement and deduced he was actually either headed for P13 or Q12. I went ahead and attacked Q12 and got lucky and nabbed him. Funny was that one human-turned alien also went the same way, and I ended up eating him as collateral damage on Q12 hahah.

Really fast game for the Aliens, and I'm full from eating 4 Players (well 3 players -- one of whom twice).

This reaffirmed my faith that this game is indeed balanced, and is highly-dependent on skill. I've only played this game seven times to date, as I only got my Ultimate Edition two weeks ago.

In my first five games, the Humans won all of them. It seems that with less skill, the game is skewed towards humans, as your objective is a lot simpler - just escape. No need to figure stuff out. Being an alien takes a lot more skill in reading the opponent's movements and not just flailing about blindly.

I still find this a really awesome game and is one of my favorite Hidden Movement Hidden Role games ever, and most of my collection is Hidden Mechanics.

I'm a little sad that it doesn't score higher on BGG, but I think the game is really just not for everyone, and the early versions of the game from five years ago probably aren't as good as the Ultimate Edition, because the Infection mechanic wasn't standard rules yet and probably put off a lot of people who got eaten early and had to sit out the rest of the game.

For those who have been reading and are seeing the poor reception from those who reviewed it using earlier rules, I strong urge you give the game a chance if you're into Hidden Movement and Hidden Role Games at all, this game is just golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this again this weekend... We had one human get away...and another (me) get eaten twice...since I had a clone. Great fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
The one thing that sort of bugs me in this game is that it's usually only the last human left who will lose (if eaten) while everyone else including humans who died earlier can win as aliens after they eat the last human.

Well this game is less about winning and losing for me and more about the fun cat and mouse experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.