Subject: New Player to the Stars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Cas
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey all,

So my girlfriend and I have given Forbidden Stars a couple tries and we are really struggling with the complexity of the game. This is our first Warhammer game and while we love it and knew that it would be a challenge to learn we feel stuck. I think something that would help us is if we had someone link us to/explain an overview of the game and suggestions on what rules can be left out if any that would be best.

TL;DR
My request boils down to this:
Can someone provide an overview of the game (like what you would say to someone if you are first showing them the game?)

Are there any rules that could be left out and not ruin the experience? Or, are there any rules that are actually a lot simpler than they seem?

Any other suggestions are totally welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
This?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/95071/forbidden-stars/lea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
0) If the option is available, at least one of you get an intro game from someone who knows how to play. The game isn't very complicated, but it is quite abstract. Once they sink in, the rules are quite straightforward - pretty much everything is written down on the cards you are using.

1) go to youtube for a couple of tutorials - starting with FFG's. Not a playthrough, these aren't very clear.

2) Read through the learn to play (LtP) book. Don't even look at the other rulebook.

3)Pick marines vs chaos.
Before starting the game proper, both sides grab a handful of units (doesn't need to be balanced), and run a combat against each other with the dice and 5 random cards from your base deck. Play three rounds, each of you picking a card (at random if it helps). Both of you should have units left at the end (because your starting cards are rubbish). Count up all your eagles, and the eagles/morale value from the units which are still standing up. One with the most wins. OK, now you have the basics of combat. If still not sure, do it again.

4) Set up the 2 player map (marines vs chaos).
Play through the game as well as you can just using the learn to play book. If necessary, assign your four orders at random to start with - deploy order goes in a tile with your factory, move orders go on the tile you want to move to, the others go in tiles where you have units.
If you get stuck with something and the the answer isn't obvious in the LTP, make up the answer and get on with the game, check up on it later.

5) If one of you ends a turn with 2 objectives, you won. Otherwise go 8 turns, one with the most objectives wins.

6) Look in the reference rulebook for the stuff you didn't get during the game.

7) Next time you play, use the LtP again but this time stop and look up the answers instead of making them up. If you still can't get them, make a note and carry on with a made up answer again. After the game post the questions on here.

8) If you really, really want to make the game a bit simpler, ignore command level requirements. If you want a better unit or card, you can just buy it if you can afford it. This means that you never need to build cities. It also means the game will be hideously unbalanced to whoever has the most materiel to spend.

Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fantastic answer Genestealer! meeple
(Presumably not your given name; but your True name!)
U deserve a GG.
Cheers, Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Cas
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you- I gave this a shot at the beginning when first learning but circling back to it is a good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Cas
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you thank you! Sadly option 0 isn't available as of yet, but we'll work through your other steps- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.