Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romulan starting technology grants First Strike on "your turn". The Klingon cloaking technology also grants First Strike on "your turn".

The rulebook says on page 18 under First Strike that "If both sides have First Strike, neither may use it."

Because Romulans and Klingons only have First Strike on their turn, does that mean that the "if both sides have First Strike" clause does not apply?

Or is the wording of having First Strike just an oversight? Our thought was that it was not an oversight because the cards that grant First Strike for invasions do not have the "on your turn" clause.

Anyhow, we played that only one of us had First Strike on our turns and therefore it was able to trigger.

Can anyone confirm they understand the First Strike rules the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dunnlang Cathail
msg tools
I entered this thread thinking the answer was easy, but you are entirely correct. This is clear as mud.

I would say leave it up to house rules. It makes sense to me that you would retain First Strike, as it is only in effect when you are attacking. There is no situation in this game where there are 2 attackers as near as I know.

I got 2 games at GenCon. STA and Scythe. I'll say that Scythe was extremely intuitive and easy. Any time we need to look at the rule book is only a few seconds and the answer is plain as day. STA is an entirely different story. Each time referencing the rule book is an exercise in flipping to several sections and reading the odd asides included all over the place.

STA needs a FAQ badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The advancements clearly state that you only have First Strike on your turn. If it's not your turn, you don't have First Strike. Therefore neither one can cancel out the other, since they'll never be giving First Strike to both sides at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example of both sides having cloaking devices the rule about first strikes cancelling each other does not apply.

An example that does apply:
The Klingons have developed Planetary Bombardment: "When invading a system you may first strike."

The Romulans have developed Orbital Defense Grid: "In planetary invasions, your nodes have first strike."

If the Klingons invade a Romulan planet both sides will have first strike so that ability is cancelled for both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was pretty clear from the rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dunnlang Cathail
msg tools
I just ran into this exception that Todd found as well. Unless you know the cards, you would not know there was a case where the defender would have First Strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is indeed something for the faq.

i do feel that if both sides have first strike "on their turn only" that it should still cancel it out as you have the same tech and can probably detect/circumvent it more easily.

you could imagine a situation unfold with a klingon ship visible in a sector, 3 romulan ships decloaking and attacking that klingon ship by surprise, just to notice 3 more klingon cruisers immediately decloaking next to that single klingon ship that the romulans werent aware of!
now those romulans dont feel as cocky anymore.
both sides are surprised in their own way thereby negating the first strike advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the Romulan & Klingon Cloaking Devices both only work on their turns, you’re correct that they don’t cancel each other out.

In future expansions, there may be times when both players could have First Strike in a Space Battle or Planetary Invasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the definitive answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.