13 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: need help with a storage solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Brown
msg tools
Hey all,
I know there is a few topics on this but couldnt find a good solution to my problems.

Long story short, my wife is irritated with me wanting to take legendary places and having to take 3 boxes. So today I brought a BCW 5000 card box. Everything fits in there perfectly except for 2 problems.

1) the board obviously doesnt fit well. worried about the lid being destroyed by putting it in. Was thinking of trying to create a sleeve to put on top of the box and that can hold it instead. If I do it right then I am hoping to have both the villians and heroes board be able to be put on the lid of the box. so most likely will be 2 different sleeves.

2) dividers. Right now all of my dividers are landscape. I will need to convert them to vertical. I have tried out a couple vertical dividers on here tonight however have run into problems. The sleeves I currently use is fantasy flight sleeves in black. When comparing the sleeves to the dividers they turn out to be the same height. Which obviously doesnt work. I also am running into the problem of I am not sure how much higher the dividers can be without being too tall for the box lid. Since I am currently storing the board in the card box this also leads to an issue of even less room for it.

3) anyone with the BCW 5000 box is there any experiences you call tell me for transportation and stuff? more than likely i will be using this to transport the game with me to different places and need to know how it holds up.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morph147 wrote:
Hey all,
I know there is a few topics on this but couldnt find a good solution to my problems.

Long story short, my wife is irritated with me wanting to take legendary places and having to take 3 boxes. So today I brought a BCW 5000 card box. Everything fits in there perfectly except for 2 problems.

1) the board obviously doesnt fit well. worried about the lid being destroyed by putting it in. Was thinking of trying to create a sleeve to put on top of the box and that can hold it instead. If I do it right then I am hoping to have both the villians and heroes board be able to be put on the lid of the box. so most likely will be 2 different sleeves.

2) dividers. Right now all of my dividers are landscape. I will need to convert them to vertical. I have tried out a couple vertical dividers on here tonight however have run into problems. The sleeves I currently use is fantasy flight sleeves in black. When comparing the sleeves to the dividers they turn out to be the same height. Which obviously doesnt work. I also am running into the problem of I am not sure how much higher the dividers can be without being too tall for the box lid. Since I am currently storing the board in the card box this also leads to an issue of even less room for it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

This Kickstarter looks like a potential solution

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/game-ovations/bitbox-sp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Brown
msg tools
^^^ no offense but not looking for a kickstarter solution right now. I am trying to make the BCW box work. thanks though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertical dividers: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98612/ng-legendary-ve...

I bought a wooden artist case at Hobby Lobby for $16. If you use penny sleeves and store the cards vertically you can fit everything released so far into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Brown
msg tools
Mundane wrote:
Vertical dividers: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98612/ng-legendary-ve...

I bought a wooden artist case at Hobby Lobby for $16. If you use penny sleeves and store the cards vertically you can fit everything released so far into it.

Hey Todd, thanks. This was actually my first attempt though for vertical dividers that failed. I have spent a lot of money on my fantasy flight sleeves so I really dont want to waste all that money and buy penny sleeves to use these dividers. Plus as my original post i have already brought a BCW card box today to hold the cards so no need to rebuy another box. I was hoping for a different solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Weber
msg tools
Just cut the dividers a little taller. This was my solution. Everything is in a white cardboard box in sleeves, and I use the same vertical dividers, but I cut below the bottom mark to make them stand taller than the cards & sleeves, but shorter than the walls of the box. It works for me. I got tired of hauling the whole box around when I wanted to bring Legendary places though, so while I have this at home for everything, I have the original box with newer expansions and everything else needed for a game. I can grab that and play with the newer stuff anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Brown
msg tools
WeberWK wrote:
Just cut the dividers a little taller. This was my solution. Everything is in a white cardboard box in sleeves, and I use the same vertical dividers, but I cut below the bottom mark to make them stand taller than the cards & sleeves, but shorter than the walls of the box. It works for me. I got tired of hauling the whole box around when I wanted to bring Legendary places though, so while I have this at home for everything, I have the original box with newer expansions and everything else needed for a game. I can grab that and play with the newer stuff anywhere.

Hey Weber,
Thanks. just thought of trying this and it works. now i need to figure out the solution for the game board. I also see that transporting this may not be as fun since i now realize the box doesnt fit the game bag but i may have a couple other things that can be used to transport it. if all else fails boxes are not that expensive and can always buy the smaller box for the time being. everything i have only takes up about 40% of the box as is. I havent been playing this as often as i would like so probably 50% of the expansion stuff I have not used in a game so I want to be able to still take everything with.

out of curiosity how do you keep the lid on when you transport the whole thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance LeDuc
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use the Secret wars boxes for my game, and carry the rules + board in a large ziplock bag, with the cards sorted out and using some cut down index cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the main box for all the heroes and one of the secret wars boxes for everything else all cards sleeved with ultra-pro matte sleeves. The game board I threw out a couple of years ago, replaced by a fan made laminated board I found here.

Edit: For reference. I have everything Legendary Marvel except Villains and Fear Itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As you can see I used an old ammo box for my storage solution. For purposes of your mat storage solution question I added the above picture. I got some velcro strips from Michaels Arts and Crafts and used those to help hold my mat. Under the mat I used some wood also purchased from Michaels to construct a holder for all of the directions.

As an aside I don't store Villains in the ammo box. Myself and my gaming group never play it so I don't bother adding it. I bring it, but just in its original box.

You could possibly do something similar on the top of the lid of your box for the mats. Depending on how much space you have you could just grab a manilla folder and attach to under of lid for directions.

Hope this helps! If not you then maybe someone else! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense, but the problem here doesn't sound like a storage problem, it sounds like a wife problem.

ZING!

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Weber
msg tools
morph147 wrote:
Hey Weber,
Thanks. just thought of trying this and it works. now i need to figure out the solution for the game board. I also see that transporting this may not be as fun since i now realize the box doesnt fit the game bag but i may have a couple other things that can be used to transport it. if all else fails boxes are not that expensive and can always buy the smaller box for the time being. everything i have only takes up about 40% of the box as is. I havent been playing this as often as i would like so probably 50% of the expansion stuff I have not used in a game so I want to be able to still take everything with.

out of curiosity how do you keep the lid on when you transport the whole thing?

My big white box has the villains mat rolled up in a row, and my to go box (the original Legendary box with the Broken Token insert) has the heroes board in it. So I haven't really tried to transport with the heroes game board in the big box. When I first moved to the white box, I just brought the rolled up mat with me, but like I said earlier, I quickly got tired of carrying it all and moved to my current solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game is at home, I use the villains box for all the starter cards, bytstanders, wounds, master strikes, scheme twists, masterminds, villains, and henchmen. I have a custom printed rolled hero mat that fits in the center. The villains mat is collecting dust in the attic along with my hydra starting cards, bindings, and ambition cards. Playing with those doesn't interest me. I am using the secret wars v1 and v2 boxes for all the heros. But with civil war, I did have to expand my heros into the civil war box.

When I want to travel with legendary, I use the dark city box. Grab all of the start cards, bystanders, etc. A random selection of several masterminds. Make sure to grab all their always leads henchmen and villains plus a few extra. That all fits in one lane. The other lane is for heros. I carry the playmat separate. This works really well for me. I find that I can still have a large variety of games with one box full and not have to lug 4 boxes. You can pack cards for specific setups, themed games, use a randomizer a few times.

I had thought about the 5000 card box as well. I have 5 of those full for a different game I used to play. I find them unwieldy. And heavy when they are full. Plus I like my horizontal dividers.

Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.