Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When do I need to convert my discovery tokens into resources?

Example, I have a wood discovery token. I planned to use it for my wood pile so I have yet to convert it.

During weather phase, I roll a cloud and have no shelter.

Does this mean I have to now convert my wood discovery token into a resource?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you do not have to exchange the token for wood. It is up to the payers when to use the tokens. You can use them at any time. Now, when you need to pay wood in your example, you do not have any and thus take a wound, if you want to eep the token.

I can't find anything in the most current ruleset that contradicts this. Otherwise the you "can use the tokens whenever you want" would be superfluous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im curious if there was ever a final ruling on this. This is only my first game, and feel a lot of players would have this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states that tokens that provide resources are converted immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the rulebook and could not find it. Just that food tokens will spoil. They also say "token" as to say, the token was never even converted to a food cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
Food rots. Everything else can be kept until a time it is needed. (Obviously, you aren't going to be able to convert the Spices into a Morale boost if you don't have the Pot, or be able the kill the Goat if you don't have a Weapon Level of 1, for example.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I understand you can keep the tokens, besides food, until need, but I want to know if they are considered available resources or not. This mainly applies for the wood token, but even the food token for the first round you get it.

Like I said, this is very important when you are required to spend resources. The rulebook states you "must" pay the resources, and if you can't, then you take wounds. This makes me think you would always have to use your resource discovery tokens when needing to pay for something, but it is not clear either way.

Based on the responses I have received so far to this post, there seems to be contention for a rule that is fairly important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't become "available" until they come down to the available box after actions. When discovered, they go into the future resources box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:
They don't become "available" until they come down to the available box after actions. When discovered, they go into the future resources box.

Yes, the only resources that are Available at the onset of your planning phase, usable that turn, are those that are harvested from your camp tile (or any others you've gotten via the Shortcut, or have stockpiled.) Everything else goes in the Upper portion of the box until AFTER the Activity phase and before the Weather phase. The only ones that are NOT available to be used after the Activity phase are any someone is bringing back, but gets stuck Outside The Camp for the Night due to a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I understand the tokens are not "available" until the end of the action phase.

But at this point, once they slide down to the available section, do they automatically turn into the corresponding resource cube?

Again, for example, I explore a tile. I find a wood discovery token. Goes in my future resource box.

End of action phase, wood discovery token moves into available resource box.

It is the only source of wood I have.

During weather phase, I have to discard wood due to clouds.

Do I "have" to spend my discovery wood token? As this is the first scenario, lets say I want to keep my wood for the fire, and would prefer to just take the damage.

Can I choose to take the wound instead?

Again, some seem to think the discovery token in this case must be used, some think it is up to the player to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules are quite clear about the fact that only the food token must be exchanged for resource cubes immediately.

The English rules, afaik, are similar in that regard.

I have no idea if anything changes for the GotY edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But even assuming you dont have to turn in the token for the resource cube right away, does the token still need to be used to pay for the wood? The rules dont specify the wood has to come from a cube, I dont think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
But even assuming you dont have to turn in the token for the resource cube right away, does the token still need to be used to pay for the wood? The rules dont specify the wood has to come from a cube, I dont think.

I'm almost certain (like 97%), no one can force you to exchange the wood.
The discovery token is NOT wood, it is considered a fallen tree that you found. You can turn it into useful wood whenever you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
I asked the same question a wile ago in the Pegasus support forum (of the German distributor) and got the official answer there, that you are not forced to convert the token and discard it, like you would be with a regular wood resource. This however regarding the German rules, might be different in other versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess, and I know I am getting annoying, the rules still are not clear on that.

Regarding the rules for clouds, the rule book states:

"For every resource that cannot be discarded, each player
receives 1 wound (according to general rule of Unfullled
Demand, see Additional Rules chapter, page 13)."

Technically, the wood can be discarded. You would immediately just convert the token into a wood cube.

In my ideal world there would be some sort of clarification somewhere stating discovery tokens are never forced to be used.

I know some players seem to feel this is the case, but I don't see that defined anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
I asked the same question a wile ago in the Pegasus support forum (of the German distributor) and got the official answer there, that you are not forced to convert the token and discard it, like you would be with a regular wood resource. This however regarding the German rules, might be different in other versions.

Thanks. I guess I may just play this way then. I can see an argument for either way, however. Still surprised no one has complained about this before me considering the game has been out several years.

How do all the thousands of players play? I almost just want to take a poll and ask everyone if they think discovery tokens have to be discarded. I would think this situation comes up every game as I am only in the 3rd round of my first game and face this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ok, I understand now.

I play the discovery tokens can be turned in WHENEVER> that they aren't the items they represent until they are turned in. So in the case of the wood token, it would still be a token, and NOT be forced to be consumed in the weather case. Again, I don't have to kill the goat to get the fur and food until I want to - why would I need to convert the fallen log (like the above described it) until I converted it to useful wood?

(I, only until recently, never even converted the food token and kept it around. Learned THAT'S wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
Susumu wrote:

Thanks. I guess I may just play this way then. I can see an argument for either way, however. Still surprised no one has complained about this before me considering the game has been out several years.

How do all the thousands of players play? I almost just want to take a poll and ask everyone if they think discovery tokens have to be discarded. I would think this situation comes up every game as I am only in the 3rd round of my first game and face this issue.
This question has been asked many, many times before, but there's never been an official response. Strictly by the rules, you don't have to turn it in. By theme/flavor, you probably should, but how you play it is ultimately up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Strictly by the rules, you don't have to turn it in.

Isn't that an official answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think the rules give enough to argue successfully one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
I dont think the rules give enough to argue successfully one way or the other.

Obviously others don't agree, but it's common sense to me. You're not discovering a "token", you're discovering what's on the token. If that thing is a resource, you discover the resource. If the thing is a game effect, you typically don't get the effect until you choose to use it because it's something more indirect (like, say, a goat that you save and kill later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
runtsta wrote:
By theme/flavor, you probably should
I disagree on that. You found a log, so know, where to get save and easily some wood. But you did not brought it to the camp yet. Now it's raining cats and dogs, the roof is leaking. Would you find it reasonable under this circumstance to leave camp, get even more soaked wet, just to retrieve some wood to get warm again?

So at least thematically, I think it makes more sense to leave the wood were it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
runtsta wrote:
By theme/flavor, you probably should
I disagree on that. You found a log, so know, where to get save and easily some wood. But you did not brought it to the camp yet. Now it's raining cats and dogs, the roof is leaking. Would you find it reasonable under this circumstance to leave camp, get even more soaked wet, just to retrieve some wood to get warm again?

So at least thematically, I think it makes more sense to leave the wood were it is.

Not really. You have it in available resources so it's in the camp. If you only knew where to get it it would mean you need to gather it.
Not sure where I saw this but I'm almost sure that this token is converted into wood immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
It is readily available, yes. But it is still a big chunky log, you have to convert into pieces. You would not store this under the roof of you insufficient camp. You "have to" convert it into a wood resource (cube or stick, if you have the "Deluxe Resources"). Like with all Discovery Tokens (with the exception of the larvae, because they are food, that is supposed to rot, but would be non-perishables, if you could store them as token) this is a free action, you can take any time. You are not forced by the rules to use it immediately (at least not the German ones), and thematically it fits as well, because going outside into the storm to chop some wood would result in getting soaked wet and probably even more ill then when staying "indoors" under the leaking roof".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.