$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I call Agility my overlook of a hidden gem of the Gen Con 2016 convention. Agility was originally a Kickstarter I missed out on, but is now coming out as available to the gaming community.

I purchased Agility at Gen Con 2016, and I sprung the little extra for the customized dog dish game piece. Agility was an overshadowed game that will not get played by most people, mainly due to it getting out hyped by other games. The Rondel in Agility is ingenious, the modularity of the rondell adds to the replayability, and multi purpose cards and training choices give Agility its depth. This is all before you choose which dogs to adopt and which agility courses to tackle.

I used a timer/stopwatch and games of Agility ended between 40 and 45 minutes, when we were not distracted by the olympics on TV or looking random information that came up from conversations. This timeframe does not include learning the game, the first few times you will be looking through the book trying to remember all the rondell actions. Setup and tear down take a couple of minutes due to all the small tokens unless you come up with a storage solution yourself.

And yes I do have a storage solution for the game.

And yes I do have an affinity for dogs so my views on that are slanted somewhat.

The Rondel in Agility is the most ingenious thing in the game. I have not seen a modular Rondell before, but there may be one I have not played. The only static area is the “sweep” action on location "0". There are also more available actions than spaces in the game, so the randomization of available actions will add much to the replayability and keep certain moves from feeling old and banal.

For other rondell games to compare, I have played or owned: Ora ‘et’ Labora, Vinhos, Navegador, I will KS Finca next year, Macco, though have yet to play shipyard. Agility’s rondell and integration is by far the best I have seen or played.

In comparison to other 2 player games, Agility one vaults up past 7 wonders Duel as a favorite. (That is saying a lot). So if you see anyone asking “What is a good 2 player game for me to try?”, add this one to the list.

The components are some of the better wooden and cardboard components I have seen from a game, the wooden training treats and dog-ples are well painted and solid make. Although the modifier chits/markers are a bit small and harder to handle, and I have gone and sleeved the cards as a precaution as I wanted a sturdier card quality. But it was easily remedied with sleeves.

Agility is not a mere racing game. It is more management, action selection, and planning. Agility is much more than get your dogs through the available courses, though that is the end condition of the game. Choosing what you think are the best actions and dogs with what actions are available on the rondel is still the crux of the game. Though other actions along the lines of interfering with other players to where the have to pass a certain obstacle before they can do anything else, reducing their hand size, or making obstacles harder unless they can get a clear or action to match, the brilliance is all in the rondell.

As for the randomizing of courses, there are 6 of 16 you need to plan for or against during a game of Agility.

One of my few nitpicks about the game is being able to determine the dog/color of the dog(dogple) for the corresponding adopted dog card. So I take the card and put it next to the agility course the dog is running. Doing such, you can choose your favorite color of dog and know which one is which. So I kind have solved that issue for myself. One last nit pick I have, is that games last about the length of the available deck. This means there is less variation in the numbers that will come up or are available, most games last within about 10 cards of having to reshuffle the deck. It isn't a big deal, but card counters will have an advantage due to such.

Agility is my hidden gem of Gen Con 2016. Don’t get me wrong I snapped up a couple of the hot games at Gen Con, and plan on buying a couple more when they become available this year, but Agility is one of my top game buys of the year. Don’t miss out on it because it was not part of the hype machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Agility is one of the very best 2 player games I ever played. Love all the decisions you must make every turn. Good stuff.

Nice review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's a great game, nice review. I like your storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bailey
United States
Hendersonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
That's what thon said.
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
One of my few nitpicks about the game is being able to determine the dog/color of the dog(dogple) for the corresponding adopted dog card. So I take the card and put it next to the agility course the dog is running. Doing such, you can choose your favorite color of dog and know which one is which. So I kind have solved that issue for myself.

I had to do this same thing in my first real game after Gen Con. I also had an issue with distinguishing between blue and black treats in less-than-ideal lighting. But I agree that this is the game I was most excited about post-Gen Con. Also, after meeting the designer I am now a big fan and will keep an eye on his company. He was great to talk to and gives a good demo. My wife already loves Morels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I'm curious though - where do you get those nice storage boxes and round dishes? Those look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
dvation wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I'm curious though - where do you get those nice storage boxes and round dishes? Those look great.

The round ones are stackable pill containers. Here's one example. I'm sure you can look around online for others.

I think I originally purchased mine at a Container Store if you have one close to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dvation wrote:

I got the containers from Michael's. The round ones they still sell, whereas the small chest like containers have been recently discontinued. I have not found a replacement style for those, as I used those in many of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Morels and waited and waited for their next game.

Unfortunately, for me, the theme is a complete turn off. Which is a shame as I really wanted to continue supporting them. It does look the business though and you've done a great write up.

I will wait for their next one now.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
Unfortunately, for me, the theme is a complete turn off

I think this is a brilliant and amazing theme! I am pretty sure there are many, many dog-owning gamers who'll be attracted to this one. (Sorry for all the cat enthusiasts )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come close to ordering this game several times, and don't know what's holding me back.

It's certainly not the theme, because the theme is why I even know about this game in the first place (never played Morels, but heard good things about it).

As far as variable rondels go, you're right in thinking that Shipyard has one (well, it has a few rondels, but the main one is randomized in the beginning, and gets shuffled around throughout). Kraftwagen also handles action selection through a randomized rondel. There may be be others too, but those are two I'm familiar with.

Edit: Ordered it. Will be here Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
Unfortunately, for me, the theme is a complete turn off.

I saw this game at GenCon and totally blew it off because of the theme and the cover art. A game about running dogs through obstacle courses? No thank you. But then later my wife said, "There's a great game I checked out that you have to see." It was Agility and I said, "Fine, maybe later," but I wasn't enthusiastic. But after a few times of her saying, "Oh and we have to make sure you see Agility. Don't forget!" I got intrigued. She was really stoked about this game.

And she isn't a dog person.

Well I was really happy she twisted my arm on this. The theme is, in my opinion, unfortunate, as I can imagine a lot of people passing it by. It's unfortunate because this small box contains a really great set of mechanics. It's puzzle-y, it's a little take-that, it's a little luck, it's pulling off sweet combos, and it's short. Once I was playing I forgot the theme and box art and thoroughly enjoyed the game.

If you like smart games, do yourself a favor. Hold your nose and give Agility a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if the KS and retail versions are the same? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
Anyone know if the KS and retail versions are the same? Thanks

Both KS and retail base game components are the same. All additional dogs cards, dog meeples (pupples?), and treats component upgrades are in the retail version as well. I purchased the retail version at Gen Con.

There was an add-on for a custom dog bowl you could purchase at one time via the KS as well as at Gen Con, but I do not know if they have any more of those as that was a limited supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is a great game and deserves much more hotness than it is getting.

Buy it, it's got legs! Doggie legs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.