Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme:
In this variant there is an ominous organized force that requires "Protection" be paid or players suffer loses.

-Lay out the Collective player board. (See below)
-They are allotted their shares after both players have divvied the Loot
-Recommended: 9 Dice. But do as you will.

**Playing the Collective**

1) ##Collective as Non-Start Player##
After both players have their share of the Loot, they each, in turn order, "Pay Tribute". This is done by surrendering 2 Items (Start Player Marker, Tokens, or Dice from their stash)

For each Item less than 2 that a player gives, assign the Collective (1) Infamy AND (1) Gold Token from the stockpile

2)##Collective as Start Player##
The Collective will take Start Player Marker AND 3 Dice. Prioritizing Infamy, Gold, then Gems. (See Advanced Variant Below, or Assign whichever gem has the most rolled. If there is a tie, choose the gems that will fulfill a Henchman Card's cost)

*The Collective may be stolen from. If a player chooses to do so, they must 'give' the Collective 2 Gold from their stash. If they do not have it, they may not steal. This is given directly to the Collective's Stash and not assigned as Tribute

If stolen from, the Collective becomes a Non-Start Player again. See #1 above.

Purchasing
The Collective will purchase when able. It prioritizes Henchman cards first. If that is not possible, then it will purchase the Left-most card.

* If there is more than 1 Henchman, take the Left-most.
* Pay with Gems first, then Gold
* Collective will not use the abilities of the cards it has. But will get points for conditions met.

End Game
End game scoring is the same. The bonus points for Most Henchman and Most Gold include the Collective in the tallies.

If there is a Tie, the Collective Wins!!!

**Advanced Variant**
You may Mix & Match the additional challenging rules

-If a player pays Tribute with only Dice, that player loses an Infamy or Gold token back to the stockpiles

-When assigning dice to the Collective as Start Player. Always assign the dice that will help them purchase Henchman when available first. Then assign Infamy, Gold, and other gems according to highest number of same Gems next.

**Any unused dice the Collective has at the end of the round, turn into (1) Gold in Round A, (2) Gold in Round B, and (3) Gold in round C**

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very...involved? Why not just a simple "you split I choose" variant?

The player holding the Start Player marker splits up the dice.

2nd player is given a choice:
Choice A) Take the pile you like 2nd Player. Good on you! Enjoy those gems and masks and bags of gold that aren't really gold yet. But the Start Player marker stays with the Start Player.

Choice B) Let the player with the Start Player marker take the pile they like first, *but* must put the Start Player marker into the pile they are not taking. And next turn, 2nd Player becomes Start Player, rolling them bones and making their own "you split I choose" decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player interaction is one of the key attractions of the game. A two player variant loses enough of that so as to be unappealing.

Maybe consider working in a dummy third player who follows specific rules like, "Takes up to 3 dice depending on what is required by the first card of the highest value row, if possible. Otherwise, take all dice. Take the first player marker if possible, if the first card on the highest value row has less than 3 dice."

Meh. No. Just play it with 3-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
That's very...involved? Why not just a simple "you split I choose" variant?

I want to kind of test out the game before I play it properly (to get used to the symbols for when I teach others), and that would most likely be as a two player.

Though I might adapt on your idea (OchreOgre).
* The first player dividing up and placing the first player token in one pile.
* Then the second player picking one pile.
* The first player then being allowed to steal as normal (with a dice being re rolled and put back into the remaining pile).
* And so on till both have a pile.

As for the original post. Without actually playing it with someone and following the rules as we go along, I found just reading them a bit confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.