$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 91.59

5,944 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am teetering on whether to buy this game or not. I don't think I will be able to get it to the table very often with my family, but I am looking into the solo aspect of it. Does this game work well for a solo gaming experience? Thanks for you help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the best solo experience of any of the Arkham Series games so far, FWIW.

I'm not thrilled at the price, and I think it's over where the price point should be at this stage of its evolution, particularly since one of the scenarios isn't even playable yet due to bugs, but as a game, I have very few real complaints.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, once solo. I believe the solo experience is effectively the same as the multiplayer one. It is definitely setup for solo play and doesn't require any special tweaks (note: you do play two investigators when solo, though this is not at all difficult).

Other than price, I think this is a solid soloist choice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great solo game. I recommend playing with 2 characters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
bm_eagle wrote:
I am teetering on whether to buy this game or not. I don't think I will be able to get it to the table very often with my family, but I am looking into the solo aspect of it. Does this game work well for a solo gaming experience? Thanks for you help.


I think it will get old really quick for solo games.

I prefer Eldritch Horror for solo play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been playing it Solo so far, but due to the app it lends itself perfectly to solo play - much like Gears of War or Descent 2nd Ed with the app.

Just keep in mind you should be controlling at least two characters at minimum, and if managing multiple characters and their abilities/items is something that turns you off, it may not gel too well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
bm_eagle wrote:
I am teetering on whether to buy this game or not. I don't think I will be able to get it to the table very often with my family, but I am looking into the solo aspect of it. Does this game work well for a solo gaming experience? Thanks for you help.


I think it will get old really quick for solo games.

I prefer Eldritch Horror for solo play.

I disagree. I've played the first quest 5 times now, twice solo, and each time has been so different that it's been quite fun and engaging. Not sure how much longer this will last, but basically each time I play, I try different strategies. I'm really pleased that each game plays differently enough to be entertaining. Going straight for the objective has one play, lingering and discovering every single search plays yet differently, etc.

So yes, this is a really good solo game.

-shnar
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
particularly since one of the scenarios isn't even playable yet due to bugs


Which scenario is that? We've played all of them and haven't seen any bugs yet.

I've played a couple of times solo and it's definitely very immersive, though mileage will vary on replayability. Personally I would much rather play a new scenario than replay one and there's only four in the box but hopefully we'll get new ones regularly with the app.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
More Mellotron wrote:
particularly since one of the scenarios isn't even playable yet due to bugs


Which scenario is that? We've played all of them and haven't seen any bugs yet.

I've played a couple of times solo and it's definitely very immersive, though mileage will vary on replayability. Personally I would much rather play a new scenario than replay one and there's only four in the box but hopefully we'll get new ones regularly with the app.


The seconded scenario (Escape from Innsmouth) is breaking for some users near the very end. It doesn't appear to be effecting everyone though. I haven't tried it myself yet as waiting for the patch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there.

I've now played 3 games total.
2 plays of Scenario 1 (One of them solo, one with 2-players)
and 1 "play" of scenario 2 solo (had to end because of the app crash)

I think the game is great solo, but having the app crash on me just a while ago was really disheartning
But I have to say that up to that point the 2nd scenario was propably the most immersive and exciting stories I've ever seen in a board game, so I really hope they get the app fixed asap!

So in the end, the price is high and the app has problems, but if the price works for you and the app is fixed (and hopefully they keep releasing new scenarios through the app, which is easy for them!) this game could be the holy grail of solo-horror-investigation-"dungeon crawling"!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I have only played solo. My group has members that this just wouldn't enjoy it. I bought it with the hope that they would, but just with the concept that, worst-case senario, I can always play by myself. This was a much better option then first edition, where this was simply not possible.

The solo game I did play was fun! However, I can see it getting old once the 4 scenarios are completed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burkemaster wrote:

The solo game I did play was fun! However, I can see it getting old once the 4 scenarios are completed.


I think once the 1e expansions come out (I have core, but not the two big boxes), that will add another few plays of #1 for me, and by then I expect there will be more scenarios coming. #1 is pretty combat heavy, so give me some random starting items and a chance to try different characters, and I can enjoy myself for a couple of hours every few weeks.

Eldritch, by contrast, is generally a slog for me solo after a few turns of being beat up (and it's very punishing with 2 characters).

If I was playing one of the others solo, it would be Arkham with 3 characters, but with the faster setup time and simpler play, this one will get more solo time from me.

Nothing will really ever top Arkham for me with my group, but I think we'll get at least a few plays out of this one, which easily makes the game worth the money for me, even at the inflated price.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it solo and in a group - and while group gaming is always the best with plenty of laughter and such, I REALLY enjoy soloing the game, as it lets me take my time and savor the scenario. And no one has to 'leave soon'; since there is no clock running in the app, there is plenty of time to strategize and explore what I (or one of my two or three investigators) want to explore. For this, I know of no other solo gaming experience that approaches the deep dive into story that this one provides. Unless you are role-playing with a group, nothing else comes close.

There are a lot of negative threads on this game forum about this release - and some of them I agree with, BUT: (IMHO) This game has changed the landscape.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, not only that, but then you can really let yourself get immersed in the story.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
I have played it solo and in a group - and while group gaming is always the best with plenty of laughter and such, I REALLY enjoy soloing the game, as it lets me take my time and savor the scenario. And no one has to 'leave soon'; since there is no clock running in the app, there is plenty of time to strategize and explore what I (or one of my two or three investigators) want to explore. For this, I know of no other solo gaming experience that approaches the deep dive into story that this one provides. Unless you are role-playing with a group, nothing else comes close.


I would agree, with the caveat that that particular enjoyment level is pretty much one shot per scenario, or at least until you beat them (and I'm not a tactical genius and I roll dice worse than any human being you've ever met, so me losing many times before I win is the norm).

There's a "wow" factor to the first few tries at these that really I haven't experienced in many solo games. It really does feel immersive when you're trying to work out the mystery and boom, there goes a Hunting Horror in the lobby about to hunt you down.

So I guess the moral is, if you suck at games like I do, you'll get a few plays of this solo at a very high level of enjoyment per scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch and MoM2 are both excellent options for solo play. Both are also a pain to set-up, but Eldritch is likely far worse in this regard (and table space demanding).

It's hard to say how your mileage might vary, but MoM wouldn't be a bad choice by any stretch. That said, I *know* from first hand experience that Eldritch can produce an engaging experience solo running a single investigator (and I came within a hair's breadth of winning). Just be prepared to have your investigator be eliminated at points (per the rules, you draw a new investigator when that happens -- I went through 3 or 4 in my solo experience). Not sure how MoM2 would handle with just a single investigator.

The rules for both games recommend two investigators for solo, but I wouldn't say that was necessary for Eldritch. I suspect the recommendation for EH is just to mitigate downtime, or make board coverage less of a concern.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say MoM2 is a pain to set up by any stretch of the imagination. Get the stuff out of the box, grab a character, load the app, get the items it tells you to and away you go.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
I wouldn't say MoM2 is a pain to set up by any stretch of the imagination.


Agreed. In fact it's hard to think of a complex game that is less difficult to set up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.