Hide
13 Posts

Via Nebula» Forums » General

Subject: So Light....Too Light... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MR. X
msg tools
Love Martin Wallace...but this one is way too light. There are so many ways to use your resources you can't get stuck. The game even makes location choices easy because they are shared! Resource spots have enough goods that everyone gets what they want. You don't even have to really place your "rails" too carefully because you can use other player's lines. Several plays with 4 players left everyone kind of wishing for a game of Steam.
The last game we played the final score was: 25, 25, 25, 24...not sure what any player could do to stop the others from scoring. Game needs a way to manipulate the resources so each choice is tougher on the others...my opponents would gain a card I was going for but no worries...just add some more resources to the site and take a different one...very rarely did anyone have a negative point...when the game is about to end you do not ship resources just clear fog or use worker for points.
Way fewer resources on each site could make choices tougher but with so many sites not sure if it would help. Great concept...needs more strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Were you deducting a point for each resource on an unbuilt site and exploited location that still have resources on it?

This is important for a few reasons,

1. Other players can choose who they hurt by taking resources from a spot not owned by the leader.
2. When you build, if you cannot finish it, you not only wasted an action, but also cost yourself a point for each resource moved to the site.
3. When you put down hexes to score your explorers, you may be helping other players finish their buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure that you have the rules right? All of my games so far have been tense, but not all of them have been close - and the points spread across the players has been as much as 12 points, never just 2 or 3.

If someone takes the card you want, it's not as simple as shipping more resources and building something else - because unused resources cost you minus points. And there is no way (apart from 2 or 3 of the buildings' special powers) to eliminate them from play. Once a building material moves to a building site, it cannot be moved any further - use it at the intended site or score minus points!

And that same problem stops you from using your craftsmen to open new resource sites too late in the game, as you risk the resources not going and being left with minus points. There's a balance - open when people need those resources, but do so knowing that you're helping them to build. Or try to empty the site yourself, but risk running out of time.

Those little tensions are woven into the game throughout its fabric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the above posters made important points. I missed the rule the first time about resources on exploitation spots and incomplete building sites scoring negative 1 point the first few times I played. The game is definitely better with that penalty.

I guess the other obvious question is about which side of the board you played on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, all four of my games have been exciting, but only one of them was close (1 point in it between 1st and 2nd, and 3rd was only a few points behind). But all four have been played on the "beginners" side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, totally missed resources on your exploitations are also counted as -1 point, thanks for pointing that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MR. X
msg tools
Yes we were...not sure how anyone would be stuck with resources since you know when the game is ending with fifth building...what is anyone doing to get behind?...everything you do except place a building site scores points...cards range from 2-4 points so not too much difference there...since you can see what everyone has on their sites you know what they are building and pretty much when too so how are you going to get stuck with resources for minus?...we didn't anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MR. X
msg tools
You can't really starve the others out since the resource sites have plenty of tokens(this is one thing we may try in a four player game: only placing two on a site instead of 4)and so what if they are gone, just get more of them since they are all over the place. You could also switch to another card since so many share the same resources...only at the very last turn or two is that even a consideration on whether or not to start a new build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MR. X
msg tools
Ah...resources left on resource sites count against the founder...we did the part about the building sites correctly...hmm, we will have to play some more now because that is a big deal...it is a needed rule for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
RDewsbery wrote:
And that same problem stops you from using your craftsmen to open new resource sites too late in the game, as you risk the resources not going and being left with minus points.

Would you or someone else be willing to direct me to the section of the rulebook that states that leftover resources on exploitation sites count against you in end game scoring? I read this thread over the weekend and wound up going back to the rulebook, but several read-throughs later, I'm still not able to find this. As far as I can tell, only resources in the storage area on your player board (those that were transported to building tiles but not used to construct a building) count against you, not resources in new exploitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the box right at the beginning of the End of game section:

...AS STATED ON THE END OF GAME CARD, ALL OTHER PLAYERS THEN GET ONE FINAL TURN, AFTER WHICH ALL THE PLAYERS MUST COLLECT ANY RESOURCES LEFT ON THEIR BUILDING SITES OR EXPLOITATIONS AND PLACE THEM ON THE STORAGE AREA OF THEIR GUILD BOARD. THE FINAL SCORING ROUND THEN TAKES PLACE.

(Edit--sorry for Caps...was copy/paste from online rulebook)

thegermwar wrote:

Would you or someone else be willing to direct me to the section of the rulebook that states that leftover resources on exploitation sites count against you in end game scoring? I read this thread over the weekend and wound up going back to the rulebook, but several read-throughs later, I'm still not able to find this. As far as I can tell, only resources in the storage area on your player board (those that were transported to building tiles but not used to construct a building) count against you, not resources in new exploitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thank you! I swear, I looked this over and over but for some reason must have missed the banner above the "Now add up" section, which is where I was looking for deductions (which mention storage, but nothing about exploitation tiles or building sites).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MR. X
msg tools
We missed it too...gamers are used to going right to the scoring chart
and scoring but Via Nebula adds a step before that (take your resources off
the board and add them to your negative pile) instead of just saying "minus one point per resource on the board you control"...anyway we all missed it and so did some others....so, we played some more and it made a little difference but still not getting this one...I will be selling it in new, punched, condition...but hey, I am not a snob, if you love a game I would be the last one to say it isn't any good! I just didn't get this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.