10 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness» Forums » Variants

Subject: Focus Token Variant Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dungeon Crawl
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In reading the complaints and/or dissatisfaction some people have regarding the Focus Action, I came up with the following variant rule, which adds utility to the Focus Token but doesn't unduly unbalance the game while remaining thematically justified:

Before resolving a non-skill test component action on an Injury, Illness, or Madness Condition card, an Investigator may spend one Focus Token to add 1 to its die roll.

For example, on the Condition card "Diseased" it states 'When performing a Rest action, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, discard this card.' So if an Investigator wishes to spend his two available Focus Tokens, he adds +2 before the die roll, failing to lose the Diseased Condition only on a roll of 1 or 2. As Focus is intended to represent an Investigator's drive and determination, I think it makes perfect sense to be able to use it to willfully get better and overcome a physical or mental affliction. External Conditions like Debt, Cursed, Hypothermia, and so forth are more situational and usually beyond one's active control and so cannot be affected by Focus. This rule may also take some of the sting out of those situations when a string of misfortune befouls your game and sends an avalanche of negative Conditions piling up on your Investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...do people have complaints/dissatisfaction regarding Focus? I thought everyone was positive about it as a mechanic and thought it should have been part of the base game.

Is your suggestion an additional use to Focus tokens (i.e. you could use them in the way the rules say, or alternatively can also spend them for better chance at condition removal) or in replacement to that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dungeon Crawl
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
...do people have complaints/dissatisfaction regarding Focus? I thought everyone was positive about it as a mechanic and thought it should have been part of the base game.

Is your suggestion an additional use to Focus tokens (i.e. you could use them in the way the rules say, or alternatively can also spend them for better chance at condition removal) or in replacement to that?

This variant is intended to supplement the regular use of a Focus Token by giving players more options in its usage. Several comments I've read from various sources say that spending an action to gain a Focus Token was hardly worth it, as you could almost always be doing something better, and that overall it was a distraction. Also, as a consequence of some Encounter cards being introduced (with possibly more forthcoming) that require Focus to achieve a Pass effect, it has become a liability not to have at least one Focus Token at all times, which some people have taken issue with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonCrawl wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:

This variant is intended to supplement the regular use of a Focus Token by giving players more options in its usage. Several comments I've read from various sources say that spending an action to gain a Focus Token was hardly worth it, as you could almost always be doing something better, and that overall it was a distraction. Also, as a consequence of some Encounter cards being introduced (with possibly more forthcoming) that require Focus to achieve a Pass effect, it has become a liability not to have at least one Focus Token at all times, which some people have taken issue with.

The Focus action was created essentially to give investigators something to do when they had nothing else to do. In almost all cases it's meant to be weaker than almost any other action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dungeon Crawl
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
The Focus action was created essentially to give investigators something to do when they had nothing else to do. In almost all cases it's meant to be weaker than almost any other action.

I'm well aware. This is intended for people who like interesting variations or are looking for ways to adjust the difficulty of their gameplay experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, if people feel the need to Nerf Conditions, it's their game and they're free to do what they like. Personally, I think that it's an important part of (some) Conditions that they are a die roll and not a Test and therefore the check cannot be modified in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dungeon Crawl
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Sure, if people feel the need to Nerf Conditions, it's their game and they're free to do what they like. Personally, I think that it's an important part of (some) Conditions that they are a die roll and not a Test and therefore the check cannot be modified in any way.

Well, that's the whole idea for posting material like this in the Variants section of the forum, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonCrawl wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Well, that's the whole idea for posting material like this in the Variants section of the forum, isn't it?
Of course, I just added my standard caveat on Variants that I expect people who apply Nerfing Variants (rather than Variants that provide interesting new ways to play) to ignore, in part because people who post Variants often ignore any negative feedback, or take umbrage at it. I pointed out, as a counter to your Variant, that die checks on Conditions are an important part of how the game works and adjusting that mechanism is a very significant thing to do. You posted your Variant in a forum, presumably because you wanted discussion, not just ego stroking.

As a bit of positive feedback, you might want to allow "adjust by 1" rather than "add 1" because the effect that you want might not always require a higher number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dungeon Crawl
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
DungeonCrawl wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Of course, I just added my standard caveat on Variants that I expect people who apply Nerfing Variants (rather than Variants that provide interesting new ways to play) to ignore, in part because people who post Variants often ignore any negative feedback, or take umbrage at it. I pointed out, as a counter to your Variant, that die checks on Conditions are an important part of how the game works and adjusting that mechanism is a very significant thing to do. You posted your Variant in a forum, presumably because you wanted discussion, not just ego stroking.

As a bit of positive feedback, you might want to allow "adjust by 1" rather than "add 1" because the effect that you want might not always require a higher number.

No need to be snippy. I just found your comment strange being that rules variants typically violate the intended manner that a game should be played, and pointing out that they nerf the game to whatever degree was, I felt, unnecessary. I, myself, don't house rule anything so I understand where purists are coming from, but that's beside the point. From your reaction, one would think there's some stigma against tweaking the game rules to make it easier.

"Adjust" is indeed more accurate terminology. I simply used the word "add" having gone through each of the relevant cards affected by this variant rule and noticing that the pattern follows higher numbers resulting in a positive resolution while lower numbers are universally bad in every circumstance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, when I first started reading this thread, I thought you were going to suggest a variant that made Focus tokens less useful.

I'm playing a game on Vassal right now and we are just playing the base game -- no Focus tokens. I can't tell you how many times I have wished that we were using them! Now it almost feels like cheating to go back to using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.