Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I played my very first game of scythe yesterday, it was solo.
Inplayed the nordic faction and autometta got the saxons.
I lost 25-79 ....
What are your scores for the solo game, especially on the first try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a few games before I finally got the movement right for the Automa, and after that I've always played against two Automa opponents. In that time, I've won twice and lost three times.

I don't remember the exact scores of all games, but I do remember the first game that I had 49 as Yellow (whatever that faction is), the white Automa had 50, and the red Automa had 71. The most recent game I played I was Blue against Red and Black, and I won with, I think 62 points, with the closest Automa at about 55, and the other in the 40's.

The first two games I had both opponents at Normal, and lost pretty badly both times, and the next three I had one opponent at Normal and one at Autometta. I like that dynamic and will probably stick with that for a while, or possibly try three Automa opponents, with two Normal and one Autometta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game Crimera vs Autometta Nordic. Won 94-44.
Second game Polania vs Automa Rusviet. Won 78-68.

Third game vs 2 automa opponents, Polania vs Nordic/Crimera. Lost 64/77/66, but I didn't start that game very well. Two automa is my preferred way to play I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had my first game yesterday, too, with the same exact factions. I also lost 25 to 69... I think I got some things wrong, both, rules-wise and strategy-wise. I also gave the Automa stars for deploying all mechs and putting up all workers, which you shouldn't do.. so yeah, it was really bad. looking into playing the reverse setup tonight and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a copy of my log of solo games so far:

2016, July 7
Solo with Rev (Saxony) vs. Autometta (Rusviet Union)
Rev 68 Autometta 61

2016, July 9
Solo with Rev (Nordic Kingdom) vs. Autometta #1 (Polania) & Autometta #2 (Saxony)
Rev 60 Autometta #1 62 Autometta #2 72

2016, July 12
Solo with Rev (Rusviet) vs. Autometta #1 (Crimea) & Autometta #2 (Polania)
Rev 52 Autometta #1 45 Autometta #2 43

2016, July 23
Solo with Rev (Polania) vs. Automa #1 (Nordic) & Automa #2 (Saxony)
Rev 56 Automa #1 55 Automa #2 62

2016, July 23
Solo with Rev (Polania) vs. Automa #1 (Rusviet) & Automa #2 (Saxony)
Rev 73 Automa #1 71 Automa #2 69

2016, July 27
Solo with Rev (Crimean Khanate) vs. Automa #1 (Polania) & Automa #2 (Rusviet)
Rev 32 Automa #1 60 Automa #2 63

2016, July 27
Solo with Rev (Crimean Khanate) vs. Automa #1 (Polania) & Automa #2 (Rusviet)
Rev 39 Automa #1 76 Automa #2 61

2016, August 4
Solo with Rev (Nordic Kingdoms) vs. Automa #1 (Rusviet) & Automa #2 (Saxony)
Rev 42 Rusviet 63 Saxony 68

2016, August 7
Solo with Rev (Nordic Kingdoms) vs. Automa #1 (Rusviet) & Automa #2 (Polania)
Rev 59 Rusviet 61 Polania 55

2016, August 8
Solo with Rev (Nordic Kingdoms) vs. Automa #1 (Rusviet) & Automa #2 (Saxony)
Rev 68 Rusviet 79 Saxony 92

2016, August 9
Solo with Rev (Crimea) vs. Automa #1 (Polania) & Automa #2 (Nordic Kingdoms)
Rev 79 Nordic Kingdoms 73 Polania 56
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mb
I played Rusviet against Nordic a few dans ago on normal and won with 108 points to 50 or 60 something. Made one mistake where I skipped one automa turn due to the symbol used on Autometta (easy) level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is everyone playing with two automatas?
This is not stated in the rules? Is it more fun? Isn't it more fiddly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilse23 wrote:

I find it to be more fun. More going on on the board.
Running a second Automa is not much more work. I handle both usually in less than a minute.
But I'd only start with 2 if you've played with 1 a few times and are familiar with how to run it without having to reference the rules every second turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilse23 wrote:

Check out this thread by Morten, the designer of the AI:

Playing Scythe with any combination of humans and Automas – semi-official variant

Yes, it is way more fun!

No, it isn't more fiddly! There is very little extra work to operate two Automas instead of one. Once you get the hang of operating the automas, it only takes moments to execute a card. Executing two instead of one per round is no big deal. I use an upgrade cube for each automa faction on a single tracking card, works fine. I have printed out a second deck so each automa has its own deck.

The automas will treat the other automas units just like yours (i.e. enemy units) for combat and non-combat moves, so sometimes they will fight you, and sometimes they will fight each other.

I don't think I will ever go back to playing against a single automa.

Stonemaier games is going to be selling some extra automa decks later this year. If you want one from them, make sure to check it off on this form so they now what kind of demand there is for them:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfeu-vkPKywrXOcVkr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Ilse23 wrote:

Check out this thread by Morten, the designer of the AI:

Playing Scythe with any combination of humans and Automas – semi-official variant

Yes, it is way more fun!

No, it isn't more fiddly! There is very little extra work to operate two Automas instead of one. Once you get the hang of operating the automas, it only takes moments to execute a card. Executing two instead of one per round is no big deal. I use an upgrade cube for each automa faction on a single tracking card, works fine. I have printed out a second deck so each automa has its own deck.

The automas will treat the other automas units just like yours (i.e. enemy units) for combat and non-combat moves, so sometimes they will fight you, and sometimes they will fight each other.

I don't think I will ever go back to playing against a single automa.

Stonemaier games is going to be selling some extra automa decks later this year. If you want one from them, make sure to check it off on this form so they now what kind of demand there is for them:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfeu-vkPKywrXOcVkr...

Do you play with 1 or 2 tracker cards? I would've thought that each AI faction would have their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering whether anyone has actually tried automa vs automa.....just for fun of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with 1 Tracker card and two decks.
You can also give it a try with 1 shared deck for both, but if you find out you want to play more often with 2 Automas, I'd suggest giving each its own deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Niggel
msg tools
Second game last night: Nordic Engineering vs. Automa Saxons. I won 89 to 50. I was a little surprised because I ignored recruits so I missed out on all those bonuses. Engineering is unfriendly to Mech production, but my first encounter had a mech deploy option. I sprinted from there to the factory and pulled the pay $2 for 1 mech + 1 power card. I never produced or traded for any food or metal the entire game.

I feel like I got pretty lucky with most of my draws: faction+mat combo was good, mech from the encounter and mech factory card was a perfect complement, and my combats were both good. It all fell favorably for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First two games against the autometta:
Won 88-62
Won 107-67

Will be stepping up to the normal level and adding a second automa in the next game. Not enough threat from the autometta. They seem to let you do your thing on this level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:

Do you play with 1 or 2 tracker cards? I would've thought that each AI faction would have their own.

Why would each faction need their own? Unless you wanted to set the two AIs to two different difficulty levels I can't see a need for two cards. I just use an "upgrade" cube from each colour and put them both on the same tracker card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Kuhn

Redlands
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rev,
Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game against Autometta (Rusviet) with me playing Polania. I won 66-57 and I think I got almost all the moves correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, so I (Saxony + Agriculture) played again against Autometta (Nordic) and I aced it. I do think I made all the moves right, and I finished 75 against 53. I finished both objectives (3 building + 7 pop. + 0 Mech, and 9 different resources), I won 3 battles including my last star on the factory and I hired all workers. against 5 stars Autometta. I had the mine left to build, one more update, 2 mechs and 2 enlistments. Anyway, I loved it... but God is it stressful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eighty6er wrote:
OK, so I (Saxony + Agriculture) played again against Autometta (Nordic) and I aced it. I do think I made all the moves right, and I finished 75 against 53. I finished both objectives (3 building + 7 pop. + 0 Mech, and 9 different resources), I won 3 battles including my last star on the factory and I hired all workers. against 5 stars Autometta. I had the mine left to build, one more update, 2 mechs and 2 enlistments. Anyway, I loved it... but God is it stressful

Is it not so that you can only complete one objective and gain 2 stars from combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilse23 wrote:
eighty6er wrote:

Is it not so that you can only complete one objective and gain 2 stars from combat?

Each faction has a special ability. Saxony's ability is that it can get both objectives and can get an unlimited number of stars from combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past week I've been playing Scythe against the Automa. My wife hasn't been game for Scythe after work so I figured I would try some solo games...and I have really enjoyed it.

Here are my scores so far:
August 10
Rusviet (Mechanical) vs. Nordic Automa
Lost 33 to 73

August 10
Rusviet (Mechanical) vs. Nordic Automa
Won 70 to 64

August 11
Polania (Engineering) vs. Rusviet Automa
Won 59 to 56

August 11
Polania (Agricultural) vs. Rusviet Automa
Won 72 to 54

August 12
Saxony (Patriotic) vs. Rusviet Automaszyna
Lost 56 to 62

August 15
Saxony (Patriotic) vs. Rusviet Automaszyna
Won 66 to 63

Honestly, I felt really overwhelmed the first game (especially since the two factions chosen were right next to one another). However, after getting the mechanics down the second game felt much more manageable and I did not have to continually look up the movement rules for the Automa.

Scythe as a solo game has been great - I'll definitely be playing it whenever I'm looking for an engaging solo game in a reasonable time frame. All my sessions have played in about an hour so this will likely win out over my go to solo game Mage Knight, which usually takes 2.5 to 3 hours.

Now I need to try a game against two Automa...anyone know how the difficulty will compare to facing off against the Automaszyna?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, this webpage has a great Automa function: http://ai.nagy.tech/scythe/ I use that on my phone for one Automa, and the deck for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First solo game (second game total) as Rusviet Agricultural.

Rusviet (me): 115
Crimea (Automa): 75
Polania (Automa): 60

Ended by me attacking onto the factory turn 19 after declining the 16th power (recruit) in Polania turn 18 (would have been 20 points less then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.