FAB: Golan '73» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Some Great Component Surprises rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast Action Battles Golan ’73 arrived today and once again, GMT has excelled in content quality.

My biggest surprise (other than the fact that I’d postponed my order in favor of Falling Sky so wasn’t actually expecting it!) is that its counter sheet unlike other games in the FAB Series, is of a Deluxe thickness. This is a very nice touch. As are the four robust Chessex-quality D10s supplied that actually have a “10” on them.

Three extra wooden squares are provided for the Israeli and Syrian units as spares; its sticker sheet without spares is well-cut; its rulebook and playbook do not appear intimidating - printed on gloss paper stock is my only regret; and its player aids are of regular GMT weight. Israeli forces take up 34 blocks and the Syrians 29. Twelve of those Israeli units though are Strongpoints and Ghost positions. This will be a tough fight.

As with all FAB games, its map (which looks stunning - rather than generic shades of brown, care has been taken to render it with a satellite motif) is of thick card stock. It’s an accordion foldout meaning plexi or like me, some scotch tape along its rear seams is required to keep it flat. The effect looks fine.

It’s also designed with two-players in mind. So solo gamers will require a little head twisting at times to read the few notes written directionally away from them.

One other unexpected feature is Golan’s box size. It’s the thinner of GMT’s offerings - say, like Ardennes ’44 for example. This makes another deviation from the two FAB offerings to date, and if it means Deluxe counters, I’m happy with that compromise.

I’ll be storing my unit blocks in a single GMT plastic tray, counters in baggies. So as with nearly every game I play, there’ll be a little lid lift. And that’s ok with me.

Looking forward to an interesting exploration here, though one very close, still, to some people’s hearts. Will the Syrians make the same strategic blunders back in 1973? Can the Israelis form a decisive counter punch?

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Switalski
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Adam,

Are we to expect a proper review of the game from you as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Arthur. I’m almost done with the rules for my first run through. So I think about a week or two of play and a little time to ponder it all should do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Adam , waiting for your review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent write up Adam - waiting for your review as well. Added you as a geekbuddy too . All your comments and write-ups are excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.