Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving through tanks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I read in the rules there is nothing to stop you moving through friendly or enemy tanks. Is this correct? What happens if at the end of your movement the tank would be overlapping a tank? What happens if you make one movement that would overlap, then rapid move to end up off the tank? Can you finish the first part of the move?

When the tank is destroyed it clearly marked as impassable terrain so you can't move through it then. What about a tank that is currently immobilised because of a critical hit?

I have no problem with the idea of moving through tanks as the movement is abstracted to steps and you can say the tanks coordinate to ensure movement is allowed. Parking on top of another tank till it moves would be very strange in a miniatures game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... That is a rather interesting rules omission. Because this represents two dimensional combat (tanks aren't (generally) going to be rolling over each other), I would say that all tanks count as Impassible terrain. This keeps the rules simple and consistent, and still maintains verisimilitude.

If you want to simulate tanks coordinating their movements, you can allow tanks to move through Allied tanks, with the caveat that the tank(s) being moved through must move at least 1 template during their activation (marked with a Movement token to indicate this required movement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't say in the rules something along the lines of "you can place the arrow through nearby tanks but your final position must be completely unobstructed"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jimenez
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
This is answered in the gf9 forum at http://tanks.gf9games.com/Default.aspx?tabid=89&g=posts&m=10....

"Operational tanks aren't terrain, so don't block movement, but tanks can only end movement where there is space for them."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgamer72 wrote:

Ah, I see they invoke the golden rule of 'leave it out of the rules so players can spend countless forum posts figuring how to play a common situation'. I don't expect a huge amount of detail in this game, it is meant to be fun and simple, and I'm willing to accept the abstraction level in movement but a sentence or two to say "yes, you can move through tanks but no, you can't end on them" in the main rule book is not bloat, it is just clarification for a common situation that has no rules guidance.

Thanks for pointing me to the answer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
msg tools
I agree with the concept that an immobilized tank should be considered impassable terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.