1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Star Realms» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BGG Star Realms League -- Season 19, Platinum Tier rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
SRL ratings: Elo, TrueSkill, Stang (recency 3/legacy). Stang (simple) has me at 34 ... I have recently concluded that I am not a fan of the Simple rating.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG Star Realms League!
This thread is for the nineteenth season of play.
The league rules can be found in the first post of the main announcement thread. Here are some basic reminders:

Every player should subscribe not only to their own divisional thread, but also to the main announcement thread. This is the only place that I will post notification about upcoming seasons. Additionally, if any player fails to thumb or post in this thread before the start of round 3, that player is liable to be removed from the league without notice (unless I have received prior notification).

If you anticipate being unavailable or on vacation in the next month, please notify your division commissioner as soon as possible.

Every match in this league is one game.

Games in this division should be played as Type BH (as determined by a vote of the players at the end of Season 18).

Since this season is the first-stage qualifier for the Legend Series event that is due to start on October 1, promotion will work a little differently: The top 8 players from this division will qualify for the Legend Series event. Additionally, any tiebreakers for promotion will be determined by playoff.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them (or geekmail your DC, if you prefer).

The Division Commissioner for this division is:
Marcel Bollmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are the members of this division, in the format of Star Realms username, BGG username:

Name BGG Name
nearlygod nearlygod
SweetJustice SweetJustice
JTLondon jthorpe
Carnie valpocarnie
FlyingArrow FlyingArrow
NetherShadow nethershadow
Utinni waidaat
KineticMan KineticMan
HomerJr HomerJr
Klemp Klemp
baX hBaX
Dorvan fizzmore

Round: 1

nearlygod v. Dorvan
SweetJustice v. baX
JTLondon v. Klemp
Carnie v. HomerJr
FlyingArrow v. KineticMan
NetherShadow v. Utinni
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Challenge sent to Klemp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Challenge sent to baX. Good luck this season everyone. This season's Platinum roster looks tough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you folks interested in reporting who was P1 or P2 in each game with the results? I can compile the data at the end of the season and correlate to win/loss record for science. I did this last season gold tier and got some interesting results.

Reporting result in the format FlyingArrow (P1) over HomerJr (P2) works well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Challenge sent to baX. Good luck this season everyone. This season's Platinum roster looks tough!

Is it ever easy?

Although two of the "newcomers" are Dorvan and HomerJr, who have both spent more time in Platinum than outside it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
Reporting result in the format FlyingArrow (P1) over HomerJr (P2) works well for me.

We're not matched this round, but I accept this forfeit for when we are matched later. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDGAR MENDEZ
United States
EL PASO
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good luck to everyone this season!

"... and may the scrap be ever in your favor."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnie(P1) wins over HomerJr(P2)

I feel the P1 thing wasn't as big a deal here as I took scrap on turn 1, turning up a cutter for HomerJr. My win came more from getting the bigger ships early (like Imp trader and Const Hauler).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
Carnie(P1) wins over HomerJr(P2)

I feel the P1 thing wasn't as big a deal here as I took scrap on turn 1, turning up a cutter for HomerJr. My win came more from getting the bigger ships early (like Imp trader and Const Hauler).

Good game! I passed up the Imperial Trader to take the Recycling Station, which may have been fatal for me. My logic was that you had a roughly 50/50 chance at having $4 in your next hand but no chance of having $5 (your deck+hand was Missile Bot, Viper, 4x Scouts), so I took the RS in case you had $4. I felt good about this at first, but you picked up the IT after the shuffle and it seemed to really pay off for you. The RS was good for me as it always is, but as you say I never got any of the $6+ ships as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow (P1) over KineticMan (P2).

Interesting opening row - all outposts including the Brain World and FOUR yellow bases. Including 2 Fighter Bases. We each took a fighter base to start. His Fighter Base revealed the Freighter, which I took. He got the War World and I took an Embassy Yacht. In deck 2, the Freighter came up with 4 scouts to get the Brain World but then I had ZERO combat as his Fighter Base/War World combo hammered me for several turns.

I got some lucky draws near the end - or more specifically he got some unlucky ones. Mainly that he couldn't immediately kill my Brain World the last time it came out, which let me combo into giving him a discard-4 turn. His 1 card (Blob Carrier) had to choose between killing Brain World or Royal Redoubt (and risking another discard 3 or 4 since it was sitting there paired with my Fighter Base). He killed the Redoubt, and the Brain World drew enough to finish him off.

I think it was at one point 5-47, and if he had killed the Brain World that turn before the discard-4 turn, he almost certainly would have won it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDGAR MENDEZ
United States
EL PASO
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
FlyingArrow (P1) over KineticMan (P2).

Interesting opening row - all outposts including the Brain World and FOUR yellow bases. Including 2 Fighter Bases. We each took a fighter base to start. His Fighter Base revealed the Freighter, which I took. He got the War World and I took an Embassy Yacht. In deck 2, the Freighter came up with 4 scouts to get the Brain World but then I had ZERO combat as his Fighter Base/War World combo hammered me for several turns.

I got some lucky draws near the end - or more specifically he got some unlucky ones. Mainly that he couldn't immediately kill my Brain World the last time it came out, which let me combo into giving him a discard-4 turn. His 1 card (Blob Carrier) had to choose between killing Brain World or Royal Redoubt (and risking another discard 3 or 4 since it was sitting there paired with my Fighter Base). He killed the Redoubt, and the Brain World drew enough to finish him off.

I think it was at one point 5-47, and if he had killed the Brain World that turn before the discard-4 turn, he almost certainly would have won it.

Yup, I though I had you before that 4 card discard.
In my last turn I had to choose between killing Brain World or Royal Redoubt. Since you could have made me discard 4 twice in a row I decided to gamble on killing the Royal Redoubt hoping you would get a bad draw. Alas, it was not meant to be. Awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante DeMille

Virginia
msg tools
Utinni (P2) over NetherShadow (P1). GG

HomerJr, I'm not sure how much detail you want, but NetherShadow started with 2 scouts and a viper and I started with 5 scouts. I figure once that information settles, the next would be what was drawn by each player. So just in case, there you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
waidaat wrote:

HomerJr, I'm not sure how much detail you want, but NetherShadow started with 2 scouts and a viper and I started with 5 scouts. I figure once that information settles, the next would be what was drawn by each player. So just in case, there you go.

Felt like everything just broke for you that game starting with your turn 1. I had a chance if when Brain World showed up you didn't have $8 (because I did), but you did and that was GG. Also my scrapper bottom decked every time. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baX (p1) over SweetJustice (P2)

HomerJr, do you want us to track wins and losses for games where one player gets both Brain World and Command Ship? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante DeMille

Virginia
msg tools
nethershadow wrote:
waidaat wrote:

Felt like everything just broke for you that game starting with your turn 1. I had a chance if when Brain World showed up you didn't have $8 (because I did), but you did and that was GG. Also my scrapper bottom decked every time. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.

After deck 1, I figured if you Stealth needled your scrap in deck two, I would have no chance. If you didn't, then the odds would be fairly in my favor seeing as deck one gave me blue money. But the shuffles did seem to like me in that game.

edit: - If i'm remembering correctly, in the turn you could have bought Brain World if I hadn't, I had the Survey Ship on the board and the Hero that makes you discard. If I hadn't bought BW, i would have used both to make sure you didn't get the BW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:

HomerJr, do you want us to track wins and losses for games where one player gets both Brain World and Command Ship? cry

Right now I'm just looking to simply correlate P1/P2 to wins/losses. I'm not concerned about what happens during the game for now.

In the PGL I'm tracking opening hand distribution and opening buys for me and my opponent, but it's a lot of work and I don't expect very many others would be willing to do the same. Plus the sample size for a typical BGG league like this would be too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hall
msg tools
mb
First time in Platinum here, great to see all of you and looking forward to a competitive season.

I'm going to keep a full log of all my matches this season to replicate them later for the public in a video series. In doing this, I'd like to reach out to each of you individually to give your own thoughts on decisions and turning points during our match so players of all levels can see both sides of the table.

If for any reason you don't want me to share the match or don't want to offer your thoughts on our match, let me know when I reach out. I will respect anyone's wishes at any time.

When I first started playing and I was looking for resources to get better, I came across FlyingArrow's "One Game in Depth" with schoonmj and that was bar none the most vital information I used to become a better player. A year later, I'm competing against FlyingArrow in the Platinum Tier. It's my goal to provide more resources of the same kind to grow the competition of the Star Realms community the same way it helped me grow as a player and bring me here.

A worthy shoutout to HomerJr for doing all the grunt work of data mining and writing some of the most necessary strategy articles in the community. I'm glad I can provide you more data this season.

Thanks all and good luck in your matches. Cheers!

lSweetJusticel wrote:

You were unlucky in this game. I wish I could say I made better decisions but the decision made themselves.

I open with Cutter, I then pick up two trade bots, a trade raft, and a war elder I scrap immediately to remove a viper before first shuffle. Then I pick up the Imperial Trader, a Missle Bot, into Command Ship and Brain World.

The pseudo-early Dreadnaught for you had me worried. I didn't have any damage in my deck at the time and depending on the Trade Row, I think there was an opening for you there. But the Trade Row didn't give you any scrap or speed options to get your deck moving. Alas.

Good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
waidaat wrote:
nethershadow wrote:
waidaat wrote:

After deck 1, I figured if you Stealth needled your scrap in deck two, I would have no chance. If you didn't, then the odds would be fairly in my favor seeing as deck one gave me blue money. But the shuffles did seem to like me in that game.

edit: - If i'm remembering correctly, in the turn you could have bought Brain World if I hadn't, I had the Survey Ship on the board and the Hero that makes you discard. If I hadn't bought BW, i would have used both to make sure you didn't get the BW.

Yeah, that sounds right, if Survey Ship was on the top of your deck. I had factored in discarding one (i had a Viper) but not two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
I am Jackson, hear me roar! *meow*
mbmbmbmbmb
On vacation for 2 weeks. My apologies for any slow playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
HomerJr wrote:
Are you folks interested in reporting who was P1 or P2 in each game with the results? I can compile the data at the end of the season and correlate to win/loss record for science. I did this last season gold tier and got some interesting results.

Sounds like a really good idea.

And welcome back to where you belong Homer! I remember asking your advice way back when
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hamilton
United States
Canton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge sent to Dorvan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! I'm your DC for this season, and I'm already impressed by the activity and commitment here in Platinum.

Two games remaining after 48 hours:

Round: 1

nearlygod v. Dorvan
JTLondon v. Klemp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry having a particularly busy time at work so won't be able to play until later on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thorpe John Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Klemp over JT in a game I was destined not win. Had a far superior deck but continual bottom decking from the off put the game out of reach. Genuinely ridiculous bottom decking. Klemp had a huge deck but hit the cards he needed to on his final shuffle to score the win. I hadn't had a game like that for a while so guess I was due one!

Homer, forgot to add who player order

P1 - Klemp
P2 - JT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm here, just got back from camping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.