5,402 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Keeping a collection intact vs. Brisbane weather rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian McKechnie
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks!

I've got a bit of a tricky situation and would appreciate some help from those more experience with Brisbane climate. It looks like storing games entirely indoors won't be an option in most of the places I'm looking at.

This leads me to a (potentially) bright idea -- use a garage and some basic Ikea shelving to store some of the collection until I figure out a more permanent solution. Most garages won't be air conditioned, so I'm concerned about high humidity damaging anything cardboard. My guess is that this can be managed with a decent size dehumidifer and garage door seal.

Is this idea totally crazy? Many thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that you can buy those gel pack thingies (like you find in new shoes or wot-not) on eBay by the crate. Won't safe the box but will save the insides

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem with humidity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Move to Toowoomba, its less humid there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

Move south

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boufalaxx wrote:
I read somewhere that you can buy those gel pack thingies (like you find in new shoes or wot-not) on eBay by the crate. Won't safe the box but will save the insides

I use something like this in my camera boxes (this is just an example, its not the exact one)

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbent-OSG-40-Dehumidifier-Desi...

You "recharge" them in the oven apparently. No idea if they really help - I just thought why not.

But (like John) - I havent seen any problems with my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm extremely interested in the ideas that you guys may have regarding this because I have recently moved to my new house in Moorooka. The good news is that I have been assigned a man cave to enjoy my collection. On the other hand, it is located underneath the house and you can feel the humidity with all of your senses, including the ear. So, I will avidly follow any advice you can provide to keep the games safe and away from damp and mould. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jackson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I've lived in Bris since the 80's and have had no ill effects on games from the humidity, although my sweaty paws may have caused some discolouration at times. Just make sure you keep the rain out and don't put damp clothes in your cupboards and draws like one of my housemates did! I do have some sun-bleached boards from leaving them in the sunshine for too long though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mclaughlin
Australia
Thorneside
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I moved to the Bayside from the western suburbs about 15 years ago and soon started to notice problems with my games and books. Rusty coloured spots or "foxing" in a lot of cases but also sometimes on gloss surfaces like counters I got small brown hard growths like calcification, really spoiled the look of a few games I hadn't even played yet

I bought some de-humidifiers for my games and books collections. They have worked very well and I have had no problems for many years now. They use a small compressor and essentially operate like an air-conditioner. In the really humid times in summer a machine will draw 2-3 litres of water in 24 hours from the air in one room. Overall I keep the humidity below about 60% year round and that seems to work. They seem to last about 5-7 years on average. I did not notice much affect on the power bill from having 3 of them.

Initially they were hard to find in Australia (quite common in NZ though). Last time I needed to replace one it was easy to source on the net from a local seller
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:

Toowoomba?! I'm moving there next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
A rose against a deep blue sky is still a rose.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem with humidity damaging games in Brisbane.
Unless you count flooding as somewhat extreme humidity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar the Khan
Australia
flag msg tools
Humidity can be a bit tricky in QLD for sure, but there are other hazards as well, if you're keeping things in your garage.

First I would be concerned about how watertight your garage is during heavy storms. This is because in QLD we have the occasional very heavy storm, and in my experience unexpected leaks, drips, or flooding only rears its ugly head at those times - so make sure you're not caught unaware.

Second, I would be concerned about insects. I had a friend who very carefully stored a lot of precious photos in sealed plastic containers only to come back a few months later and find that they had turned into an ant farm. I also know that there are cockroaches everywhere, and they will eat paper glue - like the binding in books etc. and they do leave droppings, along with cockroach eggs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Tourism Queensland doesnt see this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need a dehumidifier, for sure. Be careful with Plano type containers, as well. They can trap moisture. Any chance you can store games upstairs, and just bring them down to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McKechnie
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks folks!

Plenty of useful information and speculation. Have settled on a locked garage being a workable solution if the seals look okay and a dehumidifier is there to lend a hand. Thankfully I've had a long habit of using the silica packs so that should help a little as well! News to me that they make rechargeable versions.

Appreciate all the help and I'll let everyone know how it goes in a couple months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.