Popular Tags: [View All]
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
discussions over our first game pulled up this query

Is there any way of getting any "non-control spoil" money into the game? It was noted that the only way to gain money for the basic "economy" of the game was spoils from taking over towns (through attacking or allying) but that this would soon be displaced by (unless all players go to stratic...) building construction

have i missed a basic "income" somewhere?

I ask as people in the early game found themselves in situations where their actions were potentially non existent byhaving very little coin to enter ports

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's two major ways to get coins that I've come by.

1. Take the treasure chest action. When someone pays to visit a non-controlled island, the coin should be going to the treasure chest. A player may choose to take all the coins in the chest as an action. If there's no coins there, they can still take that action to get 1 coin.

2. When you take over an island by either diplomacy or attacking, you get the number of coins equal the strength of that island. So, if you take over an island with 5 diplomacy, you get 5 coins. Same goes for attacking. If you take over an island with 10 defense via attacking, you get 10 coins. This is in addition to getting to take that action for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo what Richard said. You have to balance purchasing buildings with taking over islands (via either diplomacy or military). Remember you get the reward whether you take over a neutral island or an island owned by another player.

Also remember you can always use lumber and fish to build a building as well if you go to a particular island (cannot recall it's name at the moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

As noted above, some of the hardest decisions you have to make come from choosing whether or not to buy a building which you really want, but which will leave you very short on money. If you're not about to take a town, and you don't think you'll get many coins hunting for treasure, you sometimes have to pass on that great building, because running out of cash for a while can hurt you badly, particularly if the other players notice you are cash poor and never leave much treasure for you to find.

Nothing is more painful in this game than having to go hunt to get one coin (and then maybe do it again a turn or two later!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've found that initially it may be better to focus on collecting a stockpile of pirates/serpents and/or influence, rather than spend your starting money buying buildings. Then, you can selectively take towns that give you money and help your overall strategy in other ways (including buying buildings you want).

IMO money is not the most important economy in this game. You just need to have enough of it to visit islands and get your other engines going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks everyone

yes i know about the searching for treasure thing and also capturing/allying to islands to get their money

my point was that the game seems to make itself deliberately hard to play unless you know what is going on in advance, perhaps some hints about being careful with money might have been useful *shrugs*

it was only noticed because all 4 players came to the game fresh

i am not saying it is a had game, it isn't it went down very well with us, just we noticed the money problem thing, next time we play people will be aware and it wont be an issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.