6 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variants of 3-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Rasskazov
Russia
flag msg tools
Hi, all! Did anybody try to play 3-player game with different House combinations, i.e. Greyjoy-Lannister-Baratheon, Lannister-Tyrell-Martell, or Lannister-Baratheon-Tyrell, etc?

I made some calculations and discovered that some of these combinations include the same number of barrels, crowns, castles, etc, just like the original Stark-Lannister-Baratheon game (if we keep certain areas impassable). So, theoretically, these games could happen to be balanced enough.

For example, there are 14 castles, 13 crowns, 16 barrels, 26 regions and 5 ports in the original 3-player game. If we play Greyjoy-Lannister-Baratheon game and keep the whole South plus Winterfell impassable, the amount of all resources will be exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've used Lannister-Baratheon-Tyrell before, and cut out the north part of the map. Keeps things nice and intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
We prefer to play 4 player FFC , however for 3 a good and ballanced variant we found:
Lannister - Martell - Tyrell is pretty good combination.

(I'll upload a map for it later on)

Lannister - Tyrell - Baratheon. Baratheon seems a bit OP in this one. So I prefer the Martel variant instead.

We used https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1887691/balinornz but we have Mountains of the moon closed and The Boneway opened giving it an "Imaginary Barrel", making it desirable by Baratheon and a contested area.

One time we played standard 3 player, however we used different houses. The only change is extra ship for GJ (more below)

Stark was replaced by Greyjoy
Lannister was replaced by Martell
Baratheon was Baratheon

The reasons behind it were - GJ is relying on Ship battle victories to win the game so we gave them the option to do so on both sides of the map. GJ keeps the extra ship which is in Ironman's bay (we played it with Pike not accessible, however you can choose to use but without the Stronghold and a garrison strength of at least 5 (Garrison + footman + knight) as it is pretty good (almost unraidable crown)

Martell (honestly you can use the Starks, Tyrells) However Martel is an awesome house, that we rarely see in play (lack of 6 players). They definitely have advantage due to the 3 strongholds close by and awesome house cards, that play well both vs Baratheon and GJ.

Baratheon - Any other House I believe would loose DS vs GJ coming from the top really early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Rasskazov
Russia
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks for all these details, looks quite exciting! I should really make some playtests as soon as possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hello, as promised, this is the variant we have for Martel - Lanny - Tyrell.

http://tinyurl.com/JHAjb6eY9l5fAcnUX2F0

Just a note here.
Cracklaw point territory is merged with Harrenhall - providing only 1 as we didn't want to leave it empty + it kind-a puts more pressure towards king-s landing from Lanny. So it is Castle + Crown

Storm's End is also merged with Kingswood again for extra pressure towards KL. so it becomes Castle + Crown + Supply

Pretty much all we tried it couple of times and it felt really fun and balanced. There was a lot of conquest due to the tight area all are in.

Feel free to give me any feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent asdf
msg tools
new user
@steelhoh Do you still play for 7 victory points, or do you change the condition to 6 required? Also, Thank you for posting that picture. I have two friends who like to play and one loves the Martells but never gets to play as him. This is a great solution to that.

Is The narrow sea, and by extension are the winterfell territories, meant to be open or is that just in error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.