Latitude 90: The Origin» Forums » General

Subject: Needs more info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy ZJ
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a game that is already in the middle of its KS campaign, I feel that there really needs to be more information available

1. Rulebook, or at least a draft of it

2. A better presentation of the flow of the game. Watching the video "Gameplay footage from game night (prototype build)" doesn't help because of lack of rulebook, and no on-screen prompts on what is going on. I can't understand the flow of the game. What are packages about? How do I give/receive them? What is going through my mind before giving/receiving them?

3. More information on the UI of the app. At least some wireframe demo mockups. What info will be displayed? What buttons do I have an option to press?

4. Roughly how much of the game a player will spend head down (on the phone) and head up.

5. More info on the stickers. How big are they and what will be on them?

6. What kind of DLC is being planned? Extra characters/roles? Variant modes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Kahley
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree - this is definitely a game I would be interested in supporting but it looks way to confusing from the presentation to get a good feel for the flow. I would like to see some answers to your questions. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Origin Gameplay at Game Night (prototype footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhI_OzbtdJs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Keith
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hey Jeremy! Thanks for your interest. I'll try to answer your questions! Sorry in advance for wall of text. Please note that the icons and look of the mock ups are just placeholders for now.

1. There is no rule book, as we're trying to incorporate a better tutorial method in our final release than tons of text, but we will be releasing a video in the next couple of days that walk through a game (explaining all the rules, showing the current UI, etc). We hope that the online walk-through will serve the same function until we finish the in-app tutorial.

2. Thanks for checking out the other video! In addition to the video I mentioned above, at the bottom of this post I'll go super in depth. Hopefully that will better explain the flow of the game.

3. The videos show different iterations of the UI, but I'll post some at the bottom here (and probably post them on kickstarter too).

4. Great question. Short answer: heads down/up = 25/75 or 50/50 depending on your playstyle. There is a tool that allows you to track your suspicions, and some players spend a lot of time looking at, reviewing, and playing with it (this is the 50/50 group). Others don't use it at all and focus on analyzing the group itself (this is the 25/75% group).

For your first few games though, the amount of time spent on the phone will be much, much higher as you learn how to use it.

5. Stickers are small. One has the logo for the Antarctic research station on them (the picture of Antarctica we show on the Kickstarter page), other has the official game logo. As our art assists come back, we will be exploring which others we can include as stickers.

6. For DLC, we have a ton of roles, variant modes, "cheat codes" (think goldeneye 64 style cheat codes... fun little changes to the game), skins, and a few other surprises.

Evolution of the UI:

GenCon 2015 UI:

In this build, everything was on a single page. The remaining total tests were displayed on the top left, testing a player was done the same way marking them as infected or researcher was done... by click on the icon next to their name.

GenCon 2016 UI:

In this build, tests were located on the bottom, and you dragged the beaker up to whomever you wanted to test. Marking infected or researcher was done by clicking on the players' icon. The information was spread across three tabs, located on the bottom of the screen.

Current Mock ups:

For the final build, we are sticking close the 2016 build, but condensing all of the information so that it is all available on one page, but with pop-ups when you click on different buttons.

Short version of flow:

Action: Sending sample
=>Timer runs until it "fills" => Sample "generates" (icon glows to indicate) => Click on sample => Options for who to send it to pop up => Click on who to send sample to => Timer begins running => runs until timer "fills" => etc.

Sending samples in the base game is safe... the are no negative effects for sending samples (There is planned DLC that can change that). The choice comes into play because the person you send it to may be infected, and that allows them to lie about what the information says.

Action: Receiving sample
=> Someone sends a sample to you => Sample icon displays a badge, similar to the red circle on your phone's icons => Click on the sample icon. => option to open or discard appears. => Choose to open or discard.
-If opened, one of two things occur: either A) Get true information (if sample is not infectious) or B) Get infected (if sample is infectious).

Choosing to open a sample is the risky choice. By doing so, you expose yourself to the risk of being infected. However, without opening them, you cannot get the information you need to identify the Infected Masters.

Action: Vote
=> Click on the player you want to vote for. =>Mark "Vote to Test" =>Once 1/2 the researchers agree on a person, a pop up displays who is being tested. => The tested player's role is reveled.

Miss too many times and Researchers lose (pop up, game ends, teams are shown).
Hit all Infected Masters, and Researchers win. (same thing)

Action: Mark a player
=> Click on the player. => Click on your suspicion (researcher, Infected Master, infected Minion)

There Infected team have a few quirks.
-The Corruptor has an ability on their role card, as explained in the Corruptor update.
-The Origin can send their samples to anyone, and are not limited like the other players.
-Sending an Infectious sample to a player who is already infected will "level" them up, increasing their chances to generate infectious samples by 25%. This can be applied to the Corruptor as well (the Origin is the only person to start with Infectious samples).
-Researchers who become infected are "Minions", but do not have any changes to their actions or UI... just changes to their goal and strategy (and that they might get leveled up and send infectious samples, as mentioned).

So, 4 actions total. We've found that by the second game, players understand how to play and why they want to take the actions they can take, but 2 years later we are still learning new strategies.

I sincerely hope that has been helpful! If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now a video explaining things:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.