The Golden Ages» Forums » General

Subject: Any likelihood of a new edition with different art? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hopkins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have been searching for the perfect Civ-lite for a while now (which I'll define here as a full civ game with a max play time of 1/2 hour per player). I've tried Historia, Antike II, Tempus and a bunch of others. In my opinion, The Golden Ages is the perfect Civ-lite. However, having owned and enjoyed it, in the end I parted with it primarily for the, admittedly deeply shallow, reason that I just absolutely hate the art.

Alexandre Roche's work is loved by many on BGG, but I'm not a fan of his work on this game. I think it hurts the game and while I have zero evidence, I suggest that it also hurts sales, as casual purchasers may not look beyond the box art.

What I would love to see is a reprint with different (more conventional) art. Maybe The Golden Ages (Black box edition). Like Glory to Rome black box edition which completely did away with the cartoony art for a more minimalist grown up look.

It doesn't need to be the traditional bland euro art (typically with an old man frowning on the front cover!), it could still be vaguly cartoony (similar to Patchistory or Historia card art).

I really think the publishers should seriously consider issuing any new editions with different art. I am certain they will see increased sales. I for one would certainly buy the game again.

While I'm at it, any new edition should limit the language independance by including some text on the cards (perhaps the name of the wonders and leaders and a small description of their powers). They should also increase the size of the leader icons and numbers on the cards.

If enough people agree with this post, perhaps the publishers would consider changing the art for the next edition. I'm interested to know what others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I like the art. But I agree with adding text to the cards. When I play, I am constantly looking up the names of the buildings, wonders, and such because I like to know how my civilization is growing. I really want to write the titles on all the cards, but am reluctant to do so.

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second this desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Sacre
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - really like the look of this game but definitely put off by the art style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see new art as well. Despite it being recommended by many people, I just can't see past the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.