Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of basing the figures on clear acrylic disks, and the maker of the disks recommended using polyacrylamide (superglue) gel to affix the figures. However, on buying the glue I noticed that this type of glue is not recommended for polyethylene (PE) or polypropylene (PP) plastics. Does anyone know the type of plastic used for the MoM2E miniatures? If necessary can anyone recommend a suitable alternative glue? It would need to dry transparent and give a strong bond between the figures and clear acrylic plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have no idea what type of plastic is used, however I can say I have used superglue (Krazy glue brand) without issue on both the first edition and 2nd edition figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I used what Chris used - well, a slightly different variant of the same stuff.

This is available at Home Depot and works great...It is the 'gel control' type and gives you 10 - 15 seconds to get things right before it kicks.

This glue works with the bases supplied with the game - I have not used on acrylic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Superglue can fog or discolor acrylic.

The recommended glue from Litko is Craftics #33:

http://www.litko.net/products/Craftics-%2333-Thick-Acrylic-C...

It can be a pain to use and stinks, but bonds well and doesn't mess up the clear acrylic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

It can be a pain to use and stinks, but bonds well and doesn't mess up the clear acrylic.

Ah, thanks Christopher...I am using the bases that came with the game. I neglected to mention that. Post above edited...I am leaving the post instead of deleting as it might help those using the supplied bases...<shrug>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

I was just about to say the exact same thing!

Cyanoacrylate adhesives have to be used very sparingly when applied to clear plastics, like acrylic. Even so, CA can still haze the plastic. Any oils on the plastic from your fingers or otherwise will also attract the vapor from the glue. Adhesives meant specifically for acrylic will always be superior, but do what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

I tried to get hold of this a while ago, but it seems to be completely unavailable in the UK, probably some idiotic bureaucratic restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Yup. I used what Chris used - well, a slightly different variant of the same stuff.

This is available at Home Depot and works great...It is the 'gel control' type and gives you 10 - 15 seconds to get things right before it kicks.

This glue works with the bases supplied with the game - I have not used on acrylic.

That is what I bought and I think what the person who sells the acrylic bases was recommending, he suggests putting it on the feet of the figure and touching it to some paper to remove excess glue before applying to the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I just use regular super glue I got from the 99 Cents store. No problems so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Bourchier
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi.
I used cheap super glue to attach the 1st edition figures to clear plastic bases but only a very small amount so any fogging was hidden under the figures feet.
Now just got to remember where I put the spares for the 2nd edition figures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiog wrote:
Hi.
I used cheap super glue to attach the 1st edition figures to clear plastic bases but only a very small amount so any fogging was hidden under the figures feet.
Now just got to remember where I put the spares for the 2nd edition figures

Yes that's what my plan is too, I am also thinking of drilling a small hole under the feet and putting a small neodymium magnet there, so that if glue a piece of steel paper to the top of the FFG bases I can attach the monster to the base on a temporary basis, should it ever be necessary. Thus getting the best of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
anarchy wrote:

I was just about to say the exact same thing!

Cyanoacrylate adhesives have to be used very sparingly when applied to clear plastics, like acrylic. Even so, CA can still haze the plastic. Any oils on the plastic from your fingers or otherwise will also attract the vapor from the glue. Adhesives meant specifically for acrylic will always be superior, but do what you will.

I think that might be why the chap who makes the bases suggested using CA gel rather than ordinary CA so as to minimise the fogging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.