Subject: Plays on too many games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We own Lord of the Fries Special Edition. We recently received our kickstarted edition of Lord of the Fries, as well as the four stretch-goal add-on decks. While all of these are Lord of the Fries, each of these is a separate and distinct game, with different menus, and minor rules variations.

During GenCant, we played the new kickstarted edition of the main game. We did not play the Special Edition, nor any of the other four restaurants. I logged our play information for the game we played, but it shows up in my user collection for each of the six versions we own.

We need to be able to log a play on a specific version of a game, since some versions can be much different from others, and people can own multiple versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
During GenCant, we played the new kickstarted edition of the main game. We did not play the Special Edition, nor any of the other four restaurants. I logged our play information for the game we played, but it shows up in my user collection for each of the six versions we own.

Not really a bug, but working as designed.

As you may know, this is because you log plays with a game, not with a version within a game. FWIW I doubt this will be changed: how should all the zillions of plays already logged to games be handled? And many/most people probably don't want to have to specify a version when logging play because they don't care about the distinction between versions. (E.g. I have many games which I played in various versions, but I do not care about that and really wouldn't want to have to specify "this play was with the English version, that play was with the Polish version", etc. I generally just care that I played the game, not which specific edition/version. If I'm at a convention I might not even know or remember which specific version I played, e.g. was it the 2011 edition or the 2012 reprinting?)

Maybe an option to log to a specific version or to log to a game generally would work, I don't know; but there are probably many lurking complex issues that would come up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
each of these is a separate and distinct game, with different menus, and minor rules variations.

This might be sufficient reason for splitting the versions into their own game entries. That's why there are so many entries for Uno, Fluxx, Munchkin, etc. The theme is slightly different, too, which is also a potential reason for a split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
each of these is a separate and distinct game, with different menus, and minor rules variations.

This might be sufficient reason for splitting the versions into their own game entries. That's why there are so many entries for Uno, Fluxx, Munchkin, etc. The theme is slightly different, too, which is also a potential reason for a split.

That kind of decision arguably comes down to the pragmatic question of whether "most people" consider the minor differences between the versions to be sufficiently significant or not. If most people think of themselves as simply playing "Lord of the Fries" and would want to log all their plays as the same game, then having them be versions makes sense. If most people think of "Lord of the Fries Third Edition" to be a really different game from "Lord of the Fries black and white version" and want to log/track them separately, then having them be games makes sense.

(I just know that I'm glad I'm not responsible for making that decision at BGG, because whatever way one decides it, many people will complain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
As you may know, this is because you log plays with a game, not with a version within a game.

Yet I can rate them individually, and make individual comments about each one.

russ wrote:
Maybe an option to log to a specific version or to log to a game generally would work

This seems like the best solution. You're right that generally people probably wouldn't care which they played, especially if the differences are trivial. But looking at my logged games (I just started logging a couple months ago), it looks like we played 6 games of LotF, one each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
russ wrote:
As you may know, this is because you log plays with a game, not with a version within a game.

Yet I can rate them individually, and make individual comments about each one.

You also can rate and comment multiple copies of the same version of the game - because ratings and comments (as well as the private info fields and collection status) are tied to entries in your collection, not games or versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.