Subject: Do you PnP games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Having backed a few games on KS that offered PnP versions (but never having actually done it) I was wondering how many people actually go to the trouble.

I don't for two reasons:

1. The quality is (obviously) going to be pretty poor. I would rather wait for the normal version of the game.

2. I'm lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done several PnP, the main issue I have, if the game is in print/available the cost of time, ink, paper, possible chits, dice or other odds and ends to make it work, it makes it costly, too much to waist time on a PnP, I've compared the cost of a couple of products and it was a loss on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't PnP games either - what I have done is PnP my own versions of simple expansions to some of my favorite games. Sure the quality isn't the best, but it beats having to shell out a bunch of money for an expansion. Some of the expansions I've PnP'ed is:
- Gods of Asgard for Blood Rage
- Break the Rules, Sites, and Commanders for The Agents

I'd love to DIY my own versions of a few simple games like Welcome to the Dungeon, Skull and Roses, and The Duke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to really push myself to pnp as much as I can.
its a nice hands on hobby when I don't have someone to game with or I want to watch tv or something. With multitasking and not caring how fast I get done I'm not really working that hard so I feel I'm not that much higher than lazy while I work. So thats how I'm ok with the cost in time, as far as supplies I use a mash up of re-purposing and scraps to keep it low.
The quality is being worked on. More money and time makes it better when I want it better. Running my own studies on how to do what cheaply. Currently on my mind is: I'm liking the success I had with label paper and cardboard from a 24 pack of soda.

I think for me creating my own board game is enough of a hobby for me to feel like its really no trouble. That sense of ownership helps too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty darn cheap, so I have gone this route a few times with card games. Specifically, I have copies of the PnP for both Epic Card Game (from the Kickstarter) and Biergarten (also from the Kickstarter). As these are straight card games, I printed them out on card stock and cut them to size, then sleeved them up for shuffling and playing purposes.

I can definitely see myself doing that for other standard sized card games in the future, but for games with more complicated components, or featuring cards of unusual and not-easily-sleeved sizes, I don't know that I would do it. Part of it is the ease and low cost of getting the required materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a few pnp kickstarter games. To make and play the game and get a feel for it before the retail arrives in stores.(sometimes that's a year later) A game might sound amazing to you on paper or watching a video, but just doesn't fit the bill when you actually play it.

For instance:
I made the pnp for All Fathomed Out and really glad I did( I regret not backing the game now). It is a really light family game that unfortunately might not be available at retail.
I enjoyed Deep Space D-6 free pnp version so much that I backed it on kickstarter just to recieve a production copy.

Also there have been a lot of good free pnp games out there that you can make (Todd Sanders Chris Hansen Tony Go etc..too many to list...have several good games to pnp)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I make PnP copies of games to figure out whether I want to back them, often I like the game, back it, and get sick of it before the 'real' copy ships. Oops!

PnP as a way to distribute free games (or promo expansions, as Michael Schacht loves to do) is awesome, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I often PnP games I already own whose original production wasn't up to my standards. It doesn't take much effort, expertise or expense to significantly exceed the quality of most commercial productions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I am aware of PnP, but never tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
grasa_total wrote:
When I make PnP copies of games to figure out whether I want to back them, often I like the game, back it, and get sick of it before the 'real' copy ships. Oops!

PnP as a way to distribute free games (or promo expansions, as Michael Schacht loves to do) is awesome, though.

Yea that's another reason I haven't done it, I want to be as excited as possible when the game shows up in the mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've rarely made PNPs. I've done it 4 times so far.
- Once to play test a game for a designer here on BGG. Didn't bother to do high quality since it was just for testing.
- Once for a Kickstarter whose funding was prematurely ended because of a printer issue. I printed it off to try it out - mostly just dice but took a super long time to make the way that I made them. They looked good though and I was proud of what I made.
- Also made Evolution with the Flight Expansion. Only produced the base game. Also looked very good since I used a photo printer, the thickest card stock I could find, and card sleeves. Also took a long time to make.
- The PNP demo for a game that will not be part of the finished product once printed. Probably the fastest of all of them to make.

Do I play these PNPs often? No, not really. The first one we played once or twice to provide feedback to the designer (I bought the final game after it was produced). The second one we've never played. The third one we've played once. The forth one I played a couple times but it's replay value is really low so I will not likely play it again.

I'm also pretty busy and so that makes me feel a bit lazy when it comes to making PNPs. But when I decide to make one I make it the best quality I can which incidentally means that I usually do not save much money in the end. I reserve PNP for things that I cannot get any other way and only when I am in an arts/crafts mood.

I also have seen several people back PNP when they are either unsure if they will like a game or if they live in countries where the shipping is either ridiculously high or non-existent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a card game, I would be willing to do that. Bob knows I have enough counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, it is not particularly cost effective. For most games, you're better off just buying the original game, as pnp will cost you more. The exception might be an OOP rare game, or really expensive $100+ game.

I've done a few games, but only because I preferred to retheme the game. For example, I've done a Game of Thrones version of Troyes, a Space themed Targi, and a prettier version of The Game. None of them was cheaper than the original, but I hated the theme/art of the original games so much that I wanted to change it to something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a few for fun/too expensive to buy/PnP is a graphic update.

I've done Dune, Magic Realm, Advanced Civilization, and Merchant of Venus. Being a file hoarder I've made sure to keep the original files from the creators since sometimes they disappear. I did sell the Magic Realm and Dune sets since they didn't get played after I created them. They're fun to do and it gave me an excuse to buy some arch punches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once. Coup. And I used the French art which I much prefer the look of to the official game. That was obviously a very easy game to do, just a few cards. I really couldn't be bothered normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh heck yeah! I love doing PnP. I'm generally a crafty person and I cheap, so PnP is a great option for me. I've also put together some PnP of OOP games, which is awesome! I really like when kickstarters have a free PnP to try before pledging- definitely has swayed me a few times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
As mentioned, it is not particularly cost effective.

For some of us, shipping/customs/duty can easily double (or more) the cost of a game, so I'm a big fan of having PnP as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not, except for of course printing some stuff for my own game. I would maybe do it with a simple card game, but I think if I were going to do serious pnp I'd need a better printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It doesn't take much effort, expertise or expense to significantly exceed the quality of most commercial productions.

That entirely depends on your standards. I would agree if your talking 18xx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only PnP'ed Two Rooms and a Boom because it was OOP, and I just had to tape paper to playing cards and then sleeve them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it once (Zombie in my Pocket) and I'm in no hurry to do it again, for pretty much the reasons you stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of those things I really want to do but honestly don't have the free time to create. It's tough enough to find the time to play a game let alone craft one. I still download all sorts of PnP stuff, I keep telling myself I'll mess with it when I retire or some nonsense like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I even build PnP games and then don' play them. And I am not the only one.

Interestingly, with the amount of decent print on demand services available, card games are one of the few game types I would not craft myself.

FellintoOblivion wrote:
I don't for two reasons:

1. The quality is (obviously) going to be pretty poor. I would rather wait for the normal version of the game.

2. I'm lazy.

I often see reason 1 and I never understood it. The quality of a PnP build is related to the effort made when creating it. If the quality of a PnP build is poor than that is due to a lack of effort/time/resources/money/skill, but not because it is PnP.

I mean look an this
and tell me again that PnP is "obviously pretty poor quality".

Can't argue about reason 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you mean by PnP. I'm retired and operate on a pretty tight budget. I've created several of my own versions of published games based off of info I've been able to derive off of various sites (like BGG or the publisher's own downloadable rules); sometimes I borrow a friend's copy of the game to get the info I need. None of these are formal PnP options offered by the publisher (e.g. pay less to get access to a files allowing you to print out the "official" game), rather they are my own "home grown" creations (which often look very different from the real version). On a very few occasions I've exercised the option for an "official" PnP version of a game; I've only done this when the published version cost way too much for me to afford. Generally, however, I'll buy the published version or just do without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I PnP and am always keeping an eye out for a game I can PnP. The more I've done it the better my results. For me it's pretty relaxing to work on a PnP game. I work in a loud and dirty metal shop for a living. The chance to craft something with paper, cardstock, and even wood is a much quieter thing to do with my hands. I can do even while watching TV. Not to mention I get a new game when I'm done!

I will attest that after ink, wood pieces, etc. it can run the price over what the commercial copy would have cost. That said, I haven't printed anything that was commercially available at the time. Though I will admit to making a few games that (to my surprise actually) were eventually reprinted. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.