Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was looking at the outlaw chart recently.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the first skill in the shootin' tree "guns blazing"

This lets you treat 6s as two hits, instead of as criticals.

Does this work when duel wielding outlaw pistols?

That *seems* to be the intent, but I'm unsure.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say so. The skill says to treat 6s as 2 hits, with a parenthetical that these are instead of criticals, but does not say "your criticals become two hits instead" or words to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pulis
United States
Greenfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Technical Wording for it is "You may treat any 6's rolled to hit as 2 Hits each (instead of a Critical Hit)"

So in my opinion (and how we and others have played it) This takes the place of critical hits. You no longer roll a critical hit on a 6 instead (even if dual wielding) you get 2 hits for a 6. The Only restriction with dual wielding is that you cannot crit.

This is similar to the principal of the prospectors ability. He does double damage on rolls of 8+. This does not matter if he can crit or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the designer, in a previous discussion on this (Re: Outlaw - Guns Blazing):

jchill7 wrote:
Hey Guys,

The intent for the Guns Blazin' ability is that it may be used any time you roll a 6 with your Outlaw Pistols, even while Dual Wielding and/or while not adjacent to the target. ie - it doesn't need to replace a critical hit (Though I can see how it could be read that way), it just can't be combined with critical hits. I can see how the wording might be a little tricky on that one. It is a little tough because there's not a lot of extra room in the upgrade skill tree boxes to be verbose.

Hope that helps!

Happy Gaming!

- Jason

So if you roll a 6, you get a Critical Hit or you get 2 regular Hits. In the case of not being able to score a Critical Hit (non-adjacent target, or dual-wielding without the ability to ignore the dual wielding penalty), you still get 2 Hits. So 6's are always good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys.

Particularly the quote from Mr Hill.

I was fairly certain that was the intent, but it's good to have confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you're dual wielding, you can't have crit's anyway, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilnyt wrote:
But if you're dual wielding, you can't have crit's anyway, no?

correct, the point is that wether or not you can have crits is irrelevant in regards to using this ability "guns blazing", the only requirement is to roll 6's on the dice.

some people thought you had to have crits for it to be able to use the ability, which is not the case as explained by the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks! but as Gun blazing is not available for bandido, this class is really worthless in dual wielding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the thread is about the outlaw, not the bandido.

the bandido is better in melee combat and dynamite throwing, his poor to hit rate makes guns not very useful to him, only for the off chance he is not in melee range

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.