Subject: I love FCM, Through the Ages: recommend me some Wargames! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've historically avoided war games due to rules complexity. I like long heavy games with lots of depth and planning, but I don't love rule checks and I don't have a great memory for line of sight, movement restrictions etc.

I really enjoy heavier euro games like Through the Ages, FCM, and even some 18XX (though these aren't gripping my wife, and to be honest, they probably won't ever become my favourite games).

I like how streamlined these games are once you know the rules: you can just play. No more checking the book and wracking your brain to remember exceptions.

Lately we've been rediscovering the magic of Twilight Struggle. The theme and the mechanics and the planning and the tension. This has me wondering if something down the war game "rabbit hole" might be a good fit.

Games that haven't worked for me yet:
Duel of Ages - too many rules; I bounced off this one.
SW:IA/Descent 2nd ed - didn't have sufficient depth - felt more tactical and I felt there was a lot of rules
Combat Commander: Europe - I've bounced off the rules twice now, but I still own this and want to get it played. I'm not sure I'll ever love moving around chits, but I do want to give it a fair chance.

Games I've been considering (yes, I'm aware not all are traditional war-games):
Polis
Cuba Libre
Mage Knight (the rules intricacies have scared me off till now)
Dominant Species
Churchill
Maria

Have a look at my ratings and let me know if there might be something out there I would enjoy as much as my two favourites: FCM and TTA. Preferably in print or due for a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you enjoy games that use cards and based on enjoying TS, playing a Card Driven Game (CDG) might be down your vein. There are plenty of good ones that are not significantly more complex than TS. A few good ones are:

1. Mr. Madison War (one of the easier CDG's)
2. Washington's War - shorter playing time 1.5 -2.5 hours
3. 1989: Dawn of Freedom - if you really enjoy TS. Very similar mechanics with a few differences and different historical topic.
4. Conflict of Hero's. Not a CDG but assisted with cards. A good one if you enjoy tactile over strategic, even though I would recommend finishing combat commander as you don't "need" two tacile systems right away.
5. Quartermaster General, a very light wargame but plays up to 6 in 1.5 hours. One the only large multiplater games in this wight and time duration.
6. War of the Ring - the best boardgame on Lord the Rings lore. Has wargames elements and captures Tolkien perfectly.

I would also upvote Polis and Maria. Polis is a great game that is a cross euro wargame. Plays quick. Can be frustrating on first few plays as someone will lose the game by running out of options.

Maria is great as well but is best as a 3 player. It is slighly longer at 3-5 hours but the rule overhead is great with minimal exceptions. If you are struggling dont play with advanced rules first time, even though they greatly improve the game.

Edit: Come hang out in the wargame subdomain of BGG as well. You could even post this and get a lot more recommendations:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. It's my pride and joy. I recommend this knowing that right now it isn't readily available but a reprint is on the way.

It's a card driven block war game where each block represents 5,000 Samurai. It's beautiful, but it's also got that strategy that you're looking for. Allegiances can even shift half way through a battle, so you need to be one step ahead at all times.

I've been VERY keen on Quartermaster General for some time, but haven't pulled the plug yet. That might be my next purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. It's my pride and joy. I recommend this knowing that right now it isn't readily available but a reprint is on the way.
That's good to know. I recently looked it up and it's priced at about 1000$ at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sekigahara reprint will be shipped in September. This is the perfect time to order it. You can get it for $47 here:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-501-sekigahara-3rd-printing.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're having trouble with the Combat Commander rules I highly recommend setting up the example of play from the play book and playing along with it. Everything makes much more sense when you see how it all works together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Definitely any of the GMT COIN Series I think would work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This very similar thread came up at about the same time as yours, it's ended up with a quite a lot good recommendations, worth a read.

I play lots of heavy euro and economic style games; is there a wargame for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
This very similar thread came up at about the same time as yours, it's ended up with a quite a lot good recommendations, worth a read.

I play lots of heavy euro and economic style games; is there a wargame for me?

That's the same thread. John posted in wargame domain and got lots of great replies. I would recommend that for you to luke if you wanted more ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yup, it was me! I sure received a warm welcome on the wargame sub-domain. Thanks to everyone who helped here and there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking out side of the box Clash of Cultures or Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) might be worth looking at.
Also I played a game of Axis and Allies with some war gaming buddies and they were using some enhanced rules that leaned toward economics and some politics more than the base game.

Wasn't there a really good train game that had a military variant too? Looks around at the Euro train gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba Libre is a great game and good way to learn the COIN system that Luke posted the video on.
It can seem a little over whelming at first with the large rule books and all the player aids, but there is a great tutorial in the rule book that really helps you learn the game.
If you enjoy Cuba Libre there are 5 other games in the COIN series that all add a little to the rule set and vary in difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.