$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 128.55

7,600 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
200 
 Thumb up
 Hide
406 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: Front Page Redesign Survey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Isip
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BGG Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We’re in the very early stages of exploring how we might redesign the front page of BoardGameGeek and we’d love your input! We’re still in active development on improving the game page functionality and performance, however, we wanted to start gathering feedback on the front page in the meantime.

If you have 5-10 minutes, please let us know what you think by filling out this survey: https://fixie.typeform.com/to/WAs2Ib

Thanks for your help!
75 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Davison
United States
Hartland
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's curious there's a 7-point scale, 10-point scale, and an 11-point scale. Should questions 1 and 9 also be 7-point scales?
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalkinn wrote:
It's curious there's a 7-point scale, 10-point scale, and an 11-point scale. Should questions 1 and 9 also be 7-point scales?

48 
 Thumb up
0.57
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Isip
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BGG Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, good catch. Somehow these got reverted. Either that or my copy and pasting failed miserably It's now fixed. Thanks for the heads up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kang
United States
Stanford
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Images" is duplicated (D & L) in Question 3
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, "images" is listed twice in the list of things we like about the front page.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A podcast module, please! Aldie said that this would be addressed when I spoke with him....
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Isip
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BGG Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, "images" is listed twice in the list of things we like about the front page.


Thanks, fixed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anthony-Duricko
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
"The Game Is the Greatest Escape"
badge
Me with my daughter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. Now I'd better take a look at that New Game Page...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Thanks for continuing to ask for input; I suspect a lot of the reactions can be disheartening at times, but really, that's because many of us really, really care about this silly ol' site.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
A podcast module, please! Aldie said that this would be addressed when I spoke with him....


Better modules in general would be nice; the guild module isn't useful for me given that I'm a member of just 4 guilds. I don't need to see what everyone else is doing, I just need a quick way of checking what the guilds I'm interested in are doing. As it stands, I have to visit each one individually and that raises the barrier for usage to the point where I remember to do it once a week or so... That's an ROI change to me. Even just the option to filter that way would be nice (and if it's already available, why isn't it on the same config page that allows me to plunk modules on the front page). Reverse geekanalysis (why do I need to pick a game, and then run the analysis, why can't it be used to recommend new games) is another one I'd like to see. Again, if that's already doable, where is it burred?

We have some of the foundation for contextual information already (e.g. we have user data linking, tertiary attributes, and in a normalized database we can traverse and do lots of filtering quickly as demonstrated in geekbuddy analysis) but we're not doing anything with it in terms of a dashboard-style function. That's what I think is best suited for the front page. A firehose of the forums/geeklists/etc isn't a value add in that regard.
13 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to see a new design!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
eapeas wrote:
A podcast module, please! Aldie said that this would be addressed when I spoke with him....


Better modules in general would be nice; the guild module isn't useful for me given that I'm a member of just 4 guilds. I don't need to see what everyone else is doing, I just need a quick way of checking what the guilds I'm interested in are doing. As it stands, I have to visit each one individually and that raises the barrier for usage to the point where I remember to do it once a week or so... That's an ROI change to me. Even just the option to filter that way would be nice (and if it's already available, why isn't it on the same config page that allows me to plunk modules on the front page). Reverse geekanalysis (why do I need to pick a game, and then run the analysis, why can't it be used to recommend new games) is another one I'd like to see. Again, if that's already doable, where is it burred?

We have some of the foundation for contextual information already (e.g. we have user data linking, tertiary attributes, and in a normalized database we can traverse and do lots of filtering quickly as demonstrated in geekbuddy analysis) but we're not doing anything with it in terms of a dashboard-style function. That's what I think is best suited for the front page. A firehose of the forums/geeklists/etc isn't a value add in that regard.


Yeah, that's a good point about the current guild module. I had it on there for a bit too, until I realized how entirely useless it is. The forums module is pretty much the same.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and looking forward to seeing what you do with the front page.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the questions is about what else you'd like to see on the front page, and says you can choose as many as you like - but then will not allow you to complete the survey if you do not choose one of them. Surely 'as many as you like' should include none.

I had to choose 'other' and then explain the above difficulty, as my option.
16 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Might wanna send out a link to this sitewide via GeekMail or put up a banner on various pages about the survey, so that you can't let people complain that they didn't get their voices heard when you turn the new front page on in a year...
14 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the front page as it is. What truly bothers me is when changes are made, I go onto the site and have no idea what happened. Leave it alone. It's fine as it is.
Best Regards,
Gary
40 
 Thumb up
1.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
I have no problem with the front page as it is. What truly bothers me is when changes are made, I go onto the site and have no idea what happened. Leave it alone. It's fine as it is.
Best Regards,
Gary
It's not. In fact, the survey above required me to list at least one thing that I "could not live without" on the current front page. I didn't want to click on anything, but it forced me to, so I went with "news", but honestly, the front page of BGG is a complete disaster.

And on the question that was, "What's a new thing you'd like to see on the front page," all of the ideas were better than any of the current features.
34 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
eapeas wrote:
A podcast module, please! Aldie said that this would be addressed when I spoke with him....


Better modules in general would be nice; the guild module isn't useful for me given that I'm a member of just 4 guilds. I don't need to see what everyone else is doing, I just need a quick way of checking what the guilds I'm interested in are doing.
I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but, subscriptions are how you do what you want to do. Just subscribe to all of your guilds then check the subscriptions page. The front page isn't the right place for it. (I mean, it could be, if the front page also had all of your subscriptions I suppose.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
I have no problem with the front page as it is. What truly bothers me is when changes are made, I go onto the site and have no idea what happened. Leave it alone. It's fine as it is.
Best Regards,
Gary
It's not. In fact, the survey above required me to list at least one thing that I "could not live without" on the current front page. I didn't want to click on anything, but it forced me to, so I went with "news", but honestly, the front page of BGG is a complete disaster.

And on the question that was, "What's a new thing you'd like to see on the front page," all of the ideas were better than any of the current features.


What I mean is, like at work for instance. I deal with a number of sites that include employee pays, MSDS and a myriad of others. All of a sudden, somebody, somewhere has to change the whole system, making it very difficult to use. What's the bloody point? Is somebody sitting at a desk all day, with nothing to do except to make changes in a program? I'd like these people to get real. Step into the actual, down to earth situation and leave things bloody well alone.
If you are a new user and you visit the BGG main page, what are you going to do? I'd bet a lot of people flee in confusion since the current page makes no sense. It's just globs of randomly organized words with no coherent meaning. That is the problem they must fix.
56 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fixie wrote:
We’re in the very early stages of exploring how we might redesign the front page of BoardGameGeek


Is this a completely separate project from the game page redesign?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
I have no problem with the front page as it is. What truly bothers me is when changes are made, I go onto the site and have no idea what happened. Leave it alone. It's fine as it is.
Best Regards,
Gary
It's not. In fact, the survey above required me to list at least one thing that I "could not live without" on the current front page. I didn't want to click on anything, but it forced me to, so I went with "news", but honestly, the front page of BGG is a complete disaster.

And on the question that was, "What's a new thing you'd like to see on the front page," all of the ideas were better than any of the current features.


What I mean is, like at work for instance. I deal with a number of sites that include employee pays, MSDS and a myriad of others. All of a sudden, somebody, somewhere has to change the whole system, making it very difficult to use. What's the bloody point? Is somebody sitting at a desk all day, with nothing to do except to make changes in a program? I'd like these people to get real. Step into the actual, down to earth situation and leave things bloody well alone.


This is a general public website, not enterprise software, where usability is usually not a concern, and where people get used to things working the way they do no matter how awfully designed.
13 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
143245 wrote:
eapeas wrote:
A podcast module, please! Aldie said that this would be addressed when I spoke with him....


Better modules in general would be nice; the guild module isn't useful for me given that I'm a member of just 4 guilds. I don't need to see what everyone else is doing, I just need a quick way of checking what the guilds I'm interested in are doing.
I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but, subscriptions are how you do what you want to do. Just subscribe to all of your guilds then check the subscriptions page. The front page isn't the right place for it. (I mean, it could be, if the front page also had all of your subscriptions I suppose.)


Then I'm basically in the same boat as you (as I understand your reply to Gary); the front page is useless to me then. Might as well have an entire page dedicated to the search box and the last 10 games you've visited.

I'd argue it sounds like you're still working on the firehose model for data analysis. If that works for you, great, I'm happy you have a solution that you're content with. I hope they don't take it away but instead have it as a configurable option to retain that granularity and unfiltered presentation. All I'm asking for is the option to work on something more intelligent in terms of filtering within the modules. Regardless of whether the page becomes more attractive for the general populace or becomes hideously ugly, I'm after a better portal experience (which is what front pages typify).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.