6 Posts

Oceanos» Forums » General

Subject: No 'Base' cards in first level a disadvantage or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Lebeau
Canada
flag msg tools
I was all excited to play a demo of this at Gen Con.

In the interest of time, the demo consisted of only playing through the first depth level (five rounds of drafting).

In that time, I never saw a single 'Base' card in my hand, and so wasn't able to perform any upgrades on my submarine until the end of the round, when each other player had already performed 1 or 2 previous upgrades. I asked the demo person if there was some kind of catch up mechanism to offset this apparent deficit, and was told there was none.

I didn't get a chance to play further, but I felt that I was way behind in the race, and that experience turned me off of wanting to buy the game. Which is sad, because it was in my Gen Con Top 9, as I really loved the theme and artwork, and so wanted to love this game.

To those who have played it through to completion, have you seen this happen in your games, and did you feel that the player who only got the single end of round upgrade was disadvantaged throughout the rest of the game, or are my concerns unfounded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
I had the same thing happen to me in my demo at GenCon and was wondering the exact same thing. Upgrading your sub seems to be an essential part of playing this game, but due to card deal you could hardly ever get to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This hurts only "a little bit" IMO. In a given round a player will need both one card with a crystal AND then a subsequent card with a base. So the soonest they can get this "advantage" is at the start of the third turn, out of 5.

More importantly, those cards that have the crystals and bases on them are either 1) Not having something else on it that can score points, or 2) If they are truly a "better" card in every way, then they have "Kraken" symbols on them, meaning that person is likely to lose points at the end of the round. So its not so much a catch-up mechanism as a "slow down" mechanism for the person getting and playing the best cards.

In our latest game I never ever updated my cockpit/periscopes, and still only got second place by 1 point, just because my son got extremely lucky with treasure chests. Scores were 40, 42, 43. (I also got the Kraken ALL THREE rounds.)

Overall it seemed very balanced to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Lebeau
Canada
flag msg tools
ebridge wrote:
This hurts only "a little bit" IMO. In a given round a player will need both one card with a crystal AND then a subsequent card with a base. So th e soonest they can get this "advantage" is at the start of the third turn, out of 5.

More importantly, those cards that have the crystals and bases on them are either 1) Not having something else on it that can score points, or 2) If they are truly a "better" card in every way, than they have "Kraken" symbols on them, meaning that person is likely to lose points at the end of the round. So its not so much a catch-up mechanism as a "slow down" mechanism for the person getting and playing the best cards.

In our latest game I never ever updated my cockpit/periscopes, and still only got second place by 1 point, just because my son got extremely lucky with treasure chests. Scores were 40, 42, 43. (I also got the Kraken ALL THREE rounds.)

Thanks Eric! I will hunt down someone else's copy to give it a second, complete, play through before deciding whether to buy it myself.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan brown
Canada
les coteaux
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
This hurts only "a little bit" IMO. In a given round a player will need both one card with a crystal AND then a subsequent card with a base. So the soonest they can get this "advantage" is at the start of the third turn, out of 5.

More importantly, those cards that have the crystals and bases on them are either 1) Not having something else on it that can score points, or 2) If they are truly a "better" card in every way, then they have "Kraken" symbols on them, meaning that person is likely to lose points at the end of the round. So its not so much a catch-up mechanism as a "slow down" mechanism for the person getting and playing the best cards.

Technically you can have the advantage of an upgrade as soon as 2nd draft of first round if you play 2 cards along an energy token
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today and played 2 games. Never saw it happen. My wife and I both loved the way the game plays. Pick up a copy. Can't wait to try it with more than 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.