Subject: Resource gain from "When played" units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question on Units with "When played gain +1 Labor/Construction" with a +1 Labor/Construction icon on it.

Is this when played gain 2 of the resource and 1 every turn thereafter, or just 1 resource when played and none thereafter?

We could make arguments for it either way. Employees have text and icons on their card, but their text doesn't mention labor or construction, so we granted both. Buildings have "On every turn gain X resources" with the resource symbol indicating the same number of resources as the text. For us it was clear that the buildings only gave the resources on the symbol, and not twice that. But the units were unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Payawal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Units that have a "when played" only apply that particular bonus when you play them, and not during subsequent turns. Furthermore, follow the card text; the symbol doesn't give you a double bonus. The reason the symbol is there is (I suspect) to make it easier to see the bonus at a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric is officially my man when it comes to the rules. He's 100% right. The units were designed to look like all the other employees that you have with just the symbols but since they stay in play, a lot of people were incorrectly giving themselves that bonus every turn - so we added the when played text to clarify.

For the expansion/reprints, we are actually probably going to a keyword-type system i.e. Dispatch: + 1 Labor symbol where Dispatch is the keyword for when units are played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgnade wrote:
For the expansion/reprints, we are actually probably going to a keyword-type system i.e. Dispatch: + 1 Labor symbol where Dispatch is the keyword for when units are played.

I like this idea, but I'd recommend something other than Dispatch. One person in my group got tripped up on Dismiss/Discard/Destroy because the words are so similar. Destroy being discard rather than dismiss really confused her and I can see why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.