Hide
17 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Vast: Organization Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Sploot
msg tools

Each character has its own box, and the sixth box is for the redundant cardboard pieces.

The boxes can be bought at Staples ("Really Useful Boxes"), typically individually for around $1 each, and some Staples carry them in colors that match the character colors too. I think you can also buy them from some other stores/Amazon.

Of course, I threw out the cardboard insert. I plan on buying a deck box for the cards as well.

If you also want to go the extra mile, it is possible to laminate the flimsy individual rulesheets (which I did), and if you flush cut it right to the edge of the sheets, it's a tight fit but it will go into the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that box couldn't have been designed to fit those useful-boxes any better!

Tidy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really nice! My box is an absolute mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
Sploot wrote:
The boxes can be bought at Staples ("Really Useful Boxes"), typically individually for around $1 each, and some Staples carry them in colors that match the character colors too. I think you can also buy them from some other stores/Amazon.

Which size did you use?

Sploot wrote:
If you also want to go the extra mile, it is possible to laminate the flimsy individual rulesheets (which I did), and if you flush cut it right to the edge of the sheets, it's a tight fit but it will go into the box.

That's a great idea (especially since we have a laminator at home). They seem a bit flimsy as reference sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to design a few custom tuck boxes, and will hopefully post them here following game designers permission, so keep an eye out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my storage setup:

Those are Gerber baby food containers.
If you have young kids (or a close friend/relative/etc. that does), you can stockpile tons of these pretty quickly. The covers don't snap on as tightly as the ones you could get from Staples (above), but they're more than secure enough that you don't have to worry about the contents dumping everywhere if the box gets tipped over.

Their height is perfect - there's just enough space for the player boards, rulebook, and laminated rule sheets to sit flat on top with a little bit of room to spare.

Sorting:
(1 Each) For the Knight, Goblins, Dragon, and Thief pieces. (The Thief box includes the Vault tiles.)
(1) For the 10 tiles that need to be separated at the start. (Entrance + 9 Crystals)
(1) For the "general" pieces that get used by multiple different roles depending on the variants. (Treasures, event tokens, crystals, and the dragon die)

Omen tokens get to stay in their nice draw bag, that small ziplock is for the "extra" cardboard pieces that have direct wooden replacements, and the cards are sleeved and wrapped with Hugo's Amazing Tape. Eventually I'd like to put them in individual deckboxes, but that can wait until someone creates and uploads a nice set to the files section. The regular map tiles are in a large ziplock underneath on the left, with the large terrain tiles sitting above and/or below where they fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikhil Iyer
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:
Here's my storage setup:
Those are Gerber baby food containers

Brilliant. Why didn't I think of this before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac petersen
msg tools
Thank you I was looking for a organization solution and you provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now I for sure have to have another kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My Dollar Tree storage solution:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just rearranged stuff in the bags - plus a couple of Ikea zip lock bags:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HolisticDeveloper wrote:
Sploot wrote:

Which size did you use?

I'd also like to know this. Really Useful Boxes come in like 80 different sizes, so without more specifics we're all out in the cold, or even alone in the dark, you might say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not the OP, but I think these are them: http://www.staples.com/Really-Useful-Box-0-14-Liter-Assorted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted my tuckbox design if you're looking for one.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136093/vast-crystal-caver...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
I just rearranged stuff in the bags - plus a couple of Ikea zip lock bags:

Ditto. One zip per player, one for the duplicate bits, cards and tiles fit snug in the provided insert. I do want to make a slick custom solution, but the box as provided works great with a few more zipbags added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
I've posted my tuckbox design if you're looking for one.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136093/vast-crystal-caver...
Very nice! Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion of Really Useful Boxes. They fit perfectly and hold just enough. Made the box a lot cleaner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.