43.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the back of the cards and size of the cards compatible with the older edition that looked like this:

This is the most recent printing:

I'm not sure if they changed the backs and/or size of the cards in the latest printing

Anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kochenower
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
according to the sleeve list the two editions are different sizes.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/item/2911247#item2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeBoy wrote:

Good catch.
So now the question is exactly what size is the 6th expedition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
DukeBoy wrote:

Good catch.
So now the question is exactly what size is the 6th expedition?

The rules summary shows the box art of the new edition, so it's fair to assume (if the editions are different sizes) it is only going to be compatible with that edition. Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems I won't be able to use this cool little expansion because of 2mm?

That is disappointing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh this sucks! I saw the art was unchanged in the newer edition and figured the cards were cross compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeBoy wrote:

That's not quite right. The first edition and the current edition are the same size (110mm). There was a Kosmos English second edition that was 112mm. According to the BGG edition pictures, that edition does not have the Rio Grande logo on the front of the box.
So in summary:
110 mm for

And

But 112 mm for

All I can personally confirm is that my old Rio Grande edition is 110mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
DukeBoy wrote:

That's not quite right. The first edition and the current edition are the same size (110mm). There was a Kosmos English second edition that was 112mm. According to the BGG edition pictures, that edition does not have the Rio Grande logo on the front of the box.
So in summary:
110 mm for

And

But 112 mm for

I got a copy and took a quick look and they do appear to be compatible with the older Rio Grande/Kosmos edition so I agree with the post above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
DukeBoy wrote:

So in summary:
110 mm for

And

But 112 mm for

Thank you! Bought it, fun to get a promo for a 9 year old game (in my collection).

/kgm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bogart
United States
West Chester Township
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first edition with the Rio Grande label, and the cards are not the same shape. They're very close to the same size (less than a mm), but the corner cut is different, and the cards from this expansion have obvious nibs where the paper was punched out.

I've posted pictures here. I'm disappointed, but hopefully opaque sleeves can fix this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Laisure
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...My box cover looks like the last one pictured, but I measured the cards and they're exactly 110 mm long. Is that 112 mm listed supposed to be the actual card length or the length of sleeves? I don't know, I suppose I'll go ahead and buy the stinkin' expansion before it sells out and hope for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grn9t wrote:
Hmmm...My box cover looks like the last one pictured, but I measured the cards and they're exactly 110 mm long. Is that 112 mm listed supposed to be the actual card length or the length of sleeves? I don't know, I suppose I'll go ahead and buy the stinkin' expansion before it sells out and hope for the best.

I've exactly the same box, so please let me know your findings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Laisure
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jk_W wrote:
Grn9t wrote:

Actually, I've decided not to buy this...for now. With $2 shipping (always used to be $1), $7 is way too much for a handful of cards that are probably the wrong size. Plus, I've really grown weary of most Knizia games and their old-hat gimmicky mechanics and barely-tacked-on-with-a-sticky-note themes (Lord of the Rings, The Confrontation being my one exception as one I still enjoy). But if anyone does buy this expansion, I would be interested to know the actual length of the cards if you wouldn't mind measuring them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jk_W wrote:
Grn9t wrote:

The promo is incompatible. The card length is fine, but the corners are cut differently so you can tell the new cards apart from the old cards very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have just played 3 rounds with them and I thought I'd give some feedback on my experience.

I have the Rio Grande / Kosmos edition - the older edition.

The gameplay with the new cards was still quite fun. Because the deck is the timer, having more cards means each round goes slightly longer. It felt like we could achieve better scores across more expeditions, but that might just be our playstyle.

The promo card corners are different. However, in my case, it's not by too much. Once shuffled in, yes I could see the new cards if I looked at the side of the shuffled deck. But in game - it did not make one bit of difference.

The back colouring is different. The promo cards are slightly darker than my original cards. This turned out to be the most problematic. For the first round - not an issue. We are really only looking at the back of one card on top of the deck, and we didn't really stare at the backs of each other's cards to try to tell if we had any new cards.

But - during the 3rd round, my son noticed that after he drew a card from the deck to end his turn, the card that was now on top of the deck was a darker shade, and gave a little groan of disappointment as he was trying to collect the grey colour and thought that he would miss out because I might draw it.

I would say, if you are super competitive about your games, the card backs are enough of an issue for me to not recommend this promo.

If you think you can play without trying to gain advantage by staring at the side of the deck, or the backs of your opponents hand of cards, or changing what you might do due to knowing if a new card is on top of the deck, then the promo is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.