Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I'm considering getting into Star Wars the card game and thought I would shoot a quick questions to get me started.

I see the expansions are released as big boxes or cycles.

I'm trying to figure how to best use these. If we wanted to add expansions, would we buy a Hoth cycle or maybe just the first box within the cycle and then change our decks up so the theme stays consistent? Then play the next box so its telling a story?

Or, for example, would I add just Hoth cards and my opponent add Rogue cycle cards and we just play with different cycles?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can construct a deck with any expansion cards available to you. Mix and match from a variety of packs.

Most commonly you would want to fill out the options for scum and smugglers with the first box expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you buying the cards? I recommend using ebay, Cardgamedb, the facebook groups or here and purchasing a semi complete collection. With any game people are coming and leaving and you can get really good deals on a good collection of cards to start then round out from there. It depends on how much you want to spend of course. But can save 50-75% off MRSP.

As for what to buy I will leave that to more skilled members, there is usually a thread or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just quote myself from a previous thread:

sdrewthomson wrote:
The best way to get into the game is with two copies of the core set and two copies of Edge of Darkness.

That gives you an excellent starting point, and if you feel like you want to expand it further after that, go pick up the following three deluxe expansions in whatever order you choose, depending on what your favourite affiliations are:

Star Wars: The Card Game – Between The Shadows
Star Wars: The Card Game – Imperial Entanglements
Star Wars: The Card Game – Galactic Ambitions

Beyond that, take a look at whichever Force Pack cycles interest you the most. My personal ranking of the cycles is:

1) Endor Cycle
2) Echoes of the Force cycle
3) Rogue Squadron cycle
4) Hoth cycle

There is also the new Opposition cycle starting soon, which looks cool.

Your very last purchase, if you decide to go all in, would be Star Wars: The Card Game – Balance of the Force, unless you really want extra ways to play multiplayer (which you can do anyway without that expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

I'll need to put some thought into how to purchase the expansions

If my opponent and I stay with the same cycle, does it tell a "story" while you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no story as such, other than what you make up. There may be a general theme, either in mechanics or types of units. Rogue Squadron is about spaceships, for example.

Two cores and two Edge of Darkness, as recommended above and pretty much everywhere else, gives you an excellent start. You'll have objective sets to build nice, consistent decks for all the factions.

Each deluxe gives you new sets for a pairing of light and dark factions, and would be the next logical step for a casual player.

After that I recommend you look at the card lists on cardgamedb.com, and pick the packs you want if you're trying to build thematic decks. Jedi players might want the "May the force be with you" objective set from Join Us or Die, imperial players get Imperial Entanglements and a select few packs for all their capital ships, scoundrels want anything with more Millennium Falcon/Han Solo/Chewbacca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.