Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is not much information on how this game works. I am considering P-500, but would like to know more.

How does is compare to Squad Leader, Old School Tactical (Lock N' Load), Combat Commander, Fighting Formations, Conflict of Heroes, Band of Brothers, or even Tide of Iron?

What makes it different and new? What makes it stand out from the others?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Denson
United States
Palestine
Texas
flag msg tools
WM,

Have you read the description on the GMT P500 listing? It highlights the major differences from other tactical games. Also, you might refer to the LHY Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1585512215107276/.

Should you like more information, you are welcome to call me at 903-549 between 9:00 AM and 9:00 PM CST. It would be much easier to explain in a conversation. That way, I could answer any other questions you might have.

Mike Denson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a weird action-reaction cycle..

I interpreted the OP as a (cheap) request for a blog post or video explaining the game, which is imo a perfectly valid request from someone who is considering a preorder. Useful information and link (also this: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-592-the-last-hundred-yards.aspx) notwithstanding, was sarcasm really necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
coralsaw wrote:

I interpreted the OP as a (cheap) request for a blog post or video explaining the game, which is imo a perfectly valid request from someone who is considering a preorder. Useful information and link (also this: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-592-the-last-hundred-yards.aspx) notwithstanding, was sarcasm really necessary?

Re-read the post - there was no sarcasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Re-read the post - there was no sarcasm.

Post re-read. Should I assume 903-549 is the phone number of the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

Should you assume sarcasm and disdain instead of a typo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

It is not customary to post one's phone on the net. Even less probable that you post your phone and you ommit 4 numbers. At least that is my assumption.

Is it likelier for you to assume otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

It is not customary to post one's phone on the net. Even less probable that you post your phone and you ommit 4 numbers. At least that is my assumption.

Is it likelier for you to assume otherwise?

I'm not making any assumptions here. Though I'm starting to consider some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Denson
United States
Palestine
Texas
flag msg tools
W M,

There was no sarcasm intended and apologize for the omission of the final digits of the phone number. I truly would welcome your call and would be a pleasure to discuss the game and answer any questions with you or anyone else that is interested. My number is 903-549-2022.

Mike Denson
903-549-2022
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denson, you madman!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did not take it as sarcasm. I think asking me to phone you though is a little beyond what I was asking for

I was hoping there would be more information of the GMT site. Why not put what you were going to explain to me over the phone on the GMT site?

Thank You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdenson wrote:
W M,

There was no sarcasm intended and apologize for the omission of the final digits of the phone number. I truly would welcome your call and would be a pleasure to discuss the game and answer any questions with you or anyone else that is interested. My number is 903-549-2022.

Mike Denson
903-549-2022

My apologies Sir. I applaud your attitude (but also think you might be a madman (or a bot)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to put to bed any notion that Mr. Denson was rude and I want to show my support for his project. GMT makes games I like and I do not want this thread to be some silly sabotage for the developer of The Last 100 Yards.

I received two e-mails from Mr. Denson. Both were extremely polite and helpful. Outside of the posting here, his first e-mail to me read:

To try and explain the game systems in detail in a post would be difficult, it would easier just to send the rules but am not allowed to do that at this time. But, I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.

AS we progress we will be publishing articles regarding game systems, examples of play, play test and actions reports, etc. to the Inside GMT Blog but are not there yet.

His second e-mail said:

In regard to the game's intent, most squad / tactical games seem to be more about modeling the capability of the weapons involved. How for a gun can shoot, armor penetration, how fast or far a unit can one etc. This is secondary to me and can be fairly accurately abstracted. I am more interested in the behavior of small units in combat, about problem solving. I want a player to think and feel what it might be like to be that Sherman Tank Commander suddenly facing a Tiger Tank or a Platoon Leader whose platoon has to cross that 200 meters of open ground take out a enemy MG position and act accordingly. Life is not fair and neither is war. I want the player to experience the chaos of combat.

This gives the reader a view of the game by the designer. I look forward to more development information as the game design progresses and is posted on GMT.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

I am also considering to preorder this tactical cosim from GMT, but just like others, I really need some more informations.
Read through all the stuff here and GMT site plus blog, but still do not feel informed enough to pull the trigger.
Could you please share some more details, particularly on tank combat (because thats the main part I would be interested in):

- how is tank combat resolved?
- is it dice heavy?
- how does tank combat compare to other tactical games out there (beside the time aspect you mentioned)?
- how many different AFVs counters will be represented (planned)?
- which periods and regions will it cover?
- how many maps is it planned to include?
- will there be solitaire rules/mechanics?

And there is something more, which really scares me a bit, that 1 simple die roll at the end can decide on win or loss here, by just representing few seconds difference, taken from the GMT blog:
"Unfortunately, the Germans didn’t take any casualties during those last Close Combat attacks, and with the score at 19, the American needed to roll a 1 or 2 (one minute) on the Time Lapse Table to get the win. They didn’t, and the final die roll was “6”, (3 minutes) resulting a final score of 22, a draw."
So its a draw because roughly 1 minute difference, though the tactical situation on the map is basically the same?!
I do not think that this example of the mechanics will find lots of fans, it just does not feel satisfying or realistic, neither to the looser nor winner or even a draw like here. At least not to me. That part of the AAR in the GMT blog really scares me regarding the system...

I like some of the things I have read, like the "me" counter, the maps and battle generator. I do not like the colors of the counters though, to much "neon" like.
Considering GMTs involvement I have no doubts that component quality will be good.
I believe this P500 really deserves some more teasers and data, considering that there are already some very successful designs out there.

thanks
best regards

PS note that I am in Europe, long distance & at night calls is not an option to share information with potential player base
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Denson
United States
Palestine
Texas
flag msg tools
Marco,

Tank Combat - Is pretty much the same as Infantry combat. When a tank fires at an enemy tank, the firing player places an Anti-Tank die roll modifier (ATDRM) marker equal to the AT value of the firing tank +/- applicable die roll modifiers on the enemy tank. During the Fire Resolution Phase, the firing player makes a die roll for each ATDRM marker adding the or subtracting the value of the ATDRM marker for a final result. If the result is > the defensive value of the enemy tank the enemy tank is destroyed. Example: A PzIV (AT value of 5) fires on a maneuvering Sherman (Defensive value of 10) at medium range. A "3" ATDRM marker is placed on the Sherman [PzIV AT value of "5" -1 for motion and -1 for medium range]. During the Fire Resolution Phase the firing player makes a die roll for the ATDRM marker on the Sherman and rolls an "8" and adds the +3 for the ATDRM marker for a final result of "11". The Sherman is destroyed because "11" is > defensive value (10) of the Sherman.

Is the game die heavy - No, the game is not die heavy. I have tried to eliminate as many die rolls as possible.

How does tank combat compare to other tactical games - I can only offer my opinion. Its just different... most tactical games focus on the tanks attributes, armor, armor penetration etc. and not the decisions faced by the tanks commander. I abstract the first and try to focus on the decisions faced by the tank commander. Personally, I believe tank combat in the LHY is a better model of what it was like to command a tank than any other comparable tactical game.

AFV counters - We are focus on the most common vehicles for both sides. Sherman 75s and 76s and M10 Tank Destroyers for the Americans and PzIVs, Tigers, Panthers and StuG IIIg Assault Guns for the Germans.

Which periods and regions - The initial module will begin mid 44 and extend until the German surrender. Regions... eastern France, Belgium and Germany.

Maps - In the first module there will be 6 double sided 11x17 geomorphic maps.

Solitaire Rules - There are no plans at this time to offer any specific solitaire rules, although the games play pretty well solitaire as is.

In regards to the example regarding the time issue, I would not read to much into this. In general, victory is based on the time required to complete a mission and the casualty differential between the players. All I can say is that we have conducted numerous demonstrations at different game conventions and this aspect of the game has always been received exceptionally well.

We recently posted the first installment of an extended Example of Play on the InsideGMT blog and will continue to post other aspects of the game over time.

Hope this helps.

Mike Denson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you Mike for the detailed insight!
Really appreciated

best regards
Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I saw this game demo'd by the designer at Consimcon in June in Phoenix and I'm impressed. It does a better job at explaining squad behavior and tactics than a lot of other games I've seen/played. It's not weapons heavy like ASL and its ilk. It looks like a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike

so after reading the AARs, your comments here and the new interview you have given at "The Players' Aid"
https://goo.gl/uqONQ9

I pre ordered LHY at my local dealer now.

Certainly want to give LHY a try now, because you are considering with the rules some very valid points. Particularly also for tank combat.
I would suggest that you add some Panzerjaeger too, because their tactics might be represented much better with the rules you are using than in several other CoSims out there.

cheers meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Cardiff
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Please get a video up, I wanna see this bad boy in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
The OP asks the million dollar question about this game. Squad level WW2 tactical games are a dime a dozen,It will really need to bring new concepts to the table to be a success. Forget ASL,the granddaddy of Squad level tactical games, GMT Alone has two games on this scale already. It must have a new approach for GMT to greenlight this given the crowded market.
I just P500's it.
The sample counters were interesting, with the T-34 and the Spanish Blue division units. I presume the second module in the series will take place on the Eastern Front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.