Subject: Minimum Number of Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to get some clarification on this, as I saw one thread where a person mentioned playing with only two characters, and another thread where someone said that certain scenarios require you to run a minimum of six characters.

I would be playing this primarily solo or with one other person, and it would be great if there was a way to only have to play with 1-2 characters.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
each scenario is designed with 6 survivors in mind.
there are rules to increase difficulty for up to 12 survivors but none for downsizing to 1-2, though you could apply the inverse of the 6+ rules.

it will be difficult to get the balance right for 2 survivors, a small mistake can quickly kill them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those other threads were only ideas, and none of them really work that well. You really do want to have a minimum of six Survivors in all currently published missions. They are balanced for that number.

Don't fear the concept of playing multiple Survivors. It is not that hard to keep track of them and you will have a lot more fun playing that way than other methods. With one or two players, you may want to experiment with different ways of choosing activation order to make it more fun, but I doubt there is any truly good method to tweak Quests to work with fewer than six Survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree here. With less than 6 charachters the game does get rather dull. With 6 and the spawn zones that go with them it can be quite enjoyable. Sorry. You'll have to buck up and kill the hordes with 6! Trust me it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I don't like about six survivors is 4-5P games. I strongly prefer each player control an equal number of survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
The only thing I don't like about six survivors is 4-5P games. I strongly prefer each player control an equal number of survivors.

There's an easy house rule for that too. Share the extra Survivors. In 4-player, have one Survivor for each pair that is controlled by a different player each turn. In 5-player, have a shared Survivor that rotates around the table in the opposite order to the first player marker.

Or you can play with the official 8- or 10-Survivor rules and have two Survivors each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Scott
United Kingdom
11 Rolling Mill Road
Jarrow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to run all scenarios with 4 characters whether solo or with my mates and haven't felt it to be unbalanced.

I did read, possibly somewhere on BGG that a guy played the modern variant solo starting Zombies at Yellow but his single character was a completed red character (all skills available) - not sure what he did with weapon load out at start, might be worth a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Cortez
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
In my opinion, this game works best with just two people. My wife and I play every weekend and have a blast. We split the recommended figures between the two of us for each scenario. Think of the figures as an addition to your turn rather than a person ammount per scenario. As mentioned before, playing with just two figures would be dull as you would be able to accomplish far less per turn. It may push the game time beyond what would actually be fun. Some of the quests use luck as a means of progression and can take a while even with six figures all taking their turn. Using 3+ figures per turn may seem intimidating at first, but again, in my opinion, is the most fulfilling way to enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for more players are to add one spawn point per two players, putting them in the same zone as existing spawn points. If you plan to reverse the rules for fewer players I would suggest NOT removing spawn points because it can make getting to specific doors or objectives much easier due to a total lack of zombies. Instead of playing with 3 or 4 players randomly skip one spawn point a round, if playing with 1-2 characters, reconsider your decision... But if you insist randomly skip 2 spawn points a round.

For this I suggest the classic season 3 rules. Assign the spawn points numbers, if you have 3 points they each get two numbers, if you have more they each get one number. Then roll dice, one for each card drawn. Assign the cards to the spawn point that the die rolled. This will cause you to skip one (or two) spawn points a round and sometimes double spawn a point... Should keep everything close to intended and let you play with 4 characters.

Extra spawn points (necro or spawn points that turn on (blue spawn zone)) don't get a number and spawn every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 6+ easy/medium quests can all be done with 4 Survivors. For the 6+ Hard we have done 2 things and both worked fairly well playing with 4 Survivors (although we don't use both at the same time).

1) As suggested by Brian, we would rotate skipping one spawn point for spawning every turn. (we used a different colored spawn point to mark it).

2) Give the players 2 extra 'lives'. Essentially, the Players' (as a group) get 2 free 'deaths', where they reset their health if they would have died. It doesn't make up for the extra actions that are missing by having fewer Survivors, but it does help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.