Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the Board Game Brawl review and I'm a little hesitant to break open my KS copy. I'm not overly concerned with the lack of story arc, but I am concerned with his complaint of the game's fiddliness.

Are there a lot of unintuitive, fiddly rules to remember throughout the game that mess with it's flow? Nick's game tastes are very similar to mine and I'm a little concerned with how underwhelmed he was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fiddliness and Lack of Flow
I played two games thus far (both as the Sin player) and found there was a few little things I forgot to remember in the first playthrough but found the second one much easier. I thought it flowed well, I thought it was balanced nicely (one game was a two player, one was a four player) between the Sin and the F.A.I.T.H. agents. The only thing that really hung me up was the setup/breakdown time. Like a lot of Lang's/CMON's games there are a lot of components to keep track of and have all over the table...

I say this but Nick and I's tastes are very different. I didn't find anything too fiddly though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Leonardo
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Nick went into the mindset that it's an adventure game and not a "horror boardgame as Eric Lang described. IMHO the "Lack of flow" is by design and the game is supposed to create suspense with the sins player reacting during unexpected times, making players adjust their plans constantly.

If you know. When the sins player will react, I think the game would lose a fair bit of suspense and identity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it is not fiddly at all, IMO. There are a few rules to remember the first time that you play that aren't on the reference sheet on the back page of the manual. Simpler than most medium weight board games, IMO.

Any criticisms by the reviewer that you mentioned tend to be fickle and unreliable in my experience. Hearing such a concern by him would indicate that a game actually has depth, IMO.

Edit: Not sure how anyone could accuse this game of not having an in-your-face story and theme, either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
His favorite game is Kingdom Death. The others can't be more fiddly than that. The game simply didn't click with him and he tried to make something up to justify it, because he need it for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Theme of game is awesome. Game that doesn't look like its made for 10 year olds.

Not fiddly in the slightest, game designed to be simple and fast. The base rules are so simple. Not fiddly, eg. You don't need to keep track of Monster health. Minimal use of counters.

Flow issues! No. The innovation of Sin Reaction tokens is great. Sin doesn't have to move 13 Monsters at the end of every turn, which puts players to sleep.

Its a scary horror game and the unexpected surprise of a reaction or sin card fulfils this.

No Campaign mode. I don't have time for campaigns, and they are fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
His favorite game is Kingdom Death. The others can't be more fiddly than that. The game simply didn't click with him and he tried to make something up to justify it, because he need it for the review.

My thoughts exactly. It did look like he was struggling to find a reason to dislike the game. It just was not his cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karlo arciaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you compare it to other games of its kind (Descent, Zombicide, Last night on Earth, I think Nick is comparing apples to oranges in a sense.

It sounded like game 'flow' was an expectation. With Eric Lang's recent track record of game designs, asymmetry has been his flavor of the month and the abrupt and 'staccato' nature that Nick describes it is definitely something unique to TO7S. Instead of framing your actions with some kind of expectation in mind (like in zombicide where you frame actions in expectations of programmed movement), you need to deduce which actions will cause the sin player to play certain types of cards. Remember, the sin player recycles his deck once all his sin cards are used - which with time, you will get a better sense of how the sin player will behave.

He also commented on the story element of the game. Perhaps he thought it wasnt so pervasive throughout the map because there is SO MUCH to do on the map. Design wise, it feels like (to me) that if you lose sight of the game map objectives too long, you will fall behind on objectives even though you and your fellow FAITH team members feel as if you have gotten some more control over the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fiddly part is only remembering what tokens have what effect as well as remembering the sin/acolyte abilities and apocalypse track bonus. I don't think its that bad.

Other than that is the book keeping for the heroes, counting up the hits+ equipment bonus+ corruption track bonus and deciding what to use the wild dice for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I went into this KS blindly. I love Eric's designs. Leap of faith, after I whiffed on the amazing Blood Rage campaign. I hate putting a lot of stock in any one reviewer, but there has been such little gameplay/review info on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:
Thanks guys. I went into this KS blindly. I love Eric's designs. Leap of faith, after I whiffed on the amazing Blood Rage campaign. I hate putting a lot of stock in any one reviewer, but there has been such little gameplay/review info on this game.

In the end, it's just an opinion. You may love the game. Try to play it somewhere else before opening your pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:

Marco Arnaudo is not a super-high profile reviewer, but he's been doing them a long time on BGG. His reviews are thoughtful and well-explained and he gave it high praise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP: Suggest a question mark be added to the thread topic. I came in here thinking "wow the game is crap, let's find out why".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn de Ruijter
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a bit perplexed though that you are considering not to open your pledge with a board game from a designer you love containing amazing goodies, based on the opinion of a single reviewer...

Why not find out for yourself if the game is great or not? Isn't that part of the fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deacis wrote:
I am a bit perplexed though that you are considering not to open your pledge with a board game from a designer you love containing amazing goodies, based on the opinion of a single reviewer...

Why not find out for yourself if the game is great or not? Isn't that part of the fun?

The game will have more resell value if it is still in shrink...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:

My experience with this reviewer also which is why I do not watch his reviews anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick also found B-Sieged fiddly which has a perfect smooth flow of play.

So I would not hesitate to open your box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
evidence wrote:

Marco Arnaudo is not a super-high profile reviewer, but he's been doing them a long time on BGG. His reviews are thoughtful and well-explained and he gave it high praise.

I got the sense that Marco was responding to similar concerns as BGB's review when he took time to explain that he enjoyed this not being a game about leveling up characters (a "power fantasy"), but rather having to sacrifice them. Nick seemed frustrated that he couldn't power up his characters and run around the board like a boss.

The game can run long with indecisive players- three hours for a learning game was my experience, but it was an enjoyable time and "flow" was not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McGee
msg tools
mb
Couldn't agree more with what most folks have said. The game is great and not too fiddly. I also believe that Nick went in with his own expectations of what the game should be instead of evaluating it on its own merits. This is not a typical one vs. many boardgame in that it doesn't have structured turns for the Sins. They "react" to the heroes when they choose to vs. having a set turn order for them. Makes the game feel unpredictable for the heroes, which is how it should be in a survival horror genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while it's true that you don't level up during the game, the heroes certainly can get very powerful, via a few different methods.

First, and most common, are the upgrades. They are plentiful and very strong, with many of them granting extra dice for combat, extra defensive icons in combat or other powerful perks. And they're not limited in any way, so if you want to outfit your hero with three guns and two swords, you can, and you can use them all, all the time! We had PHD running around with 6 automatic blocks before dice rolls whenever monsters attacked him in one game (3 from his ability and 3 from gear). That felt pretty powerful to me.

Second, taking corruption for the temporary bonuses. In the last game I played, Karl the werewolf was my starting hero and I ended the game with him as well. We needed to cleanse pentagrams from monster-free spaces and the only space left on the board with any in it was the space that our Sins player was stacking monsters like crazy. We decided to send Karl in there on a suicide mission to hopefully clear out some of the mess and make it easier for the other heroes to come in and clean up. So Karl wolfed out, went in, took full corruption, and wrecked shop so completely that I think everyone at the table was surprised. I had good rolls, which helped (I think I had 4 or 5 total Faith results) but Sins were rolling dice for a controller, 3 abominations and 3 acolytes, which is 19 dice before burst add-ins. Karl cleared half the room and took 1 damage.

Finally, secondary effects such as the commissioner token (+1 die in combat), the hacktivist (ignore 1 fire and 1 corruption damage when moving) and other heroes in your space (+1 die from each).

Put all of that together and you can easily have a hero who at the start of the game would roll 3 or 4 dice in a fight turn into an absolute boss who can walk into a room and throw 10 dice just a few turns later. It might not be called "leveling up" but really, what's the difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hann
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Coiote wrote:

Also he loved Super Dungeon Explore 2nd Edition, yet The Others is too fiddly? Really? Soda Pop Miniatures have pretty much admitted that SDE 2.0 rules are a massive fail. Ever since then, I don't trust Nick's reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
OP: Suggest a question mark be added to the thread topic. I came in here thinking "wow the game is crap, let's find out why".

Question mark added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched Nick's review last night and he lost me when he said he didn't like the art. Are you kidding me. The art is twisted but it's amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I found the game fiddly, not in the interruption sense but keeping track of all the bonuses and penalties that players have vs. what the DM has. The interruption breakage I thought was a nice touch, but the game itself is a bit by-the-numbers and not terribly interesting. It felt sort a lot like Zombicide with a lot more, but the more didn't make the game that much better. I do think it is interesting that the DM is an active player in the game rather than a guide who is trying to play to win as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Templeton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeftMunky wrote:
I found the game fiddly, not in the interruption sense but keeping track of all the bonuses and penalties that players have vs. what the DM has. The interruption breakage I thought was a nice touch, but the game itself is a bit by-the-numbers and not terribly interesting. It felt sort a lot like Zombicide with a lot more, but the more didn't make the game that much better. I do think it is interesting that the DM is an active player in the game rather than a guide who is trying to play to win as well.

Thanks Scott. This is what I'm talking about. I define what Scott says here as fiddly. Keeping track of this bonus and that penalty, where you spend as much time bookkeeping as you do playing. There is nothing worse when you complete a combat and forget to do this ability or that thing. Many people don't consider Descent fiddly, but I do. I sold the game because I was tired of keeping track of all my heroes' abilities and all the crazy details built into the game. If people who have posted above don't think Descent is fiddly (under my definition), then I will probably view The Others as fiddly. I love Blood Rage because it is such a clean, intuitive design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.