Subject: Question on Claustrophobia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know that a space--normally the big tiles--that have 3 or more spaces are safe from that horror. However, I believe that's only if the spaces loop or if there's more than 3 spaces.

Take for example the Attic/Attic Stairs tile. It's 3 spaces, but they are in a linear line; the first and third spaces are adjacent with a wall, so you can't loop. So if I were to end my turn on the middle space, would I suffer horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blueshinymarbl blueshinymarble
msg tools
My wife and I ran into this card last night and we couldn't for the life of us figure out its meaning. Could somebody please clearly explain how to apply this card's effect? We couldn't really figure it out so we kind of just ended up ignoring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blueshinymarble wrote:
My wife and I ran into this card last night and we couldn't for the life of us figure out its meaning. Could somebody please clearly explain how to apply this card's effect? We couldn't really figure it out so we kind of just ended up ignoring it.

I don't have the text in front of me but my recollection is that it just means if the room you end your turn in has 1 or 2 spaces only, the effect applies.

Rooms are bounded by brown walls. Almost any of the rectangular tiles tend to have rooms of size 2 or 2 rooms of size 1 each. Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply.

The card states, if I remember correctly, if you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces you take one horror, it doesn't really say anything about room size.

The claustrophobia card in the first edition stated something to the effect of you would take one horror if you ended your turn in a room with one space I think. IIRC it specifically stated room size.

Does the second edition card have the same effect or similar effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blueshinymarble wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

The card states, if I remember correctly, if you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces you take one horror, it doesn't really say anything about room size.

The claustrophobia card in the first edition stated something to the effect of you would take one horror if you ended your turn in a room with one space I think. IIRC it specifically stated room size.

Does the second edition card have the same effect or similar effect?

Similar, but it affects more rooms. Range is blocked by doors and walls, so a 2 space room generally means you're not in range of 3 spaces.

The OP has a good point, I hadn't considered the implications of that wording. Technically even a 3 space room would qualify since range doesn't include the space you're in.

I think you'd have to be in a larger hallway or a room with four spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thank you for the clarification I think I understand it now.
So you need to be able to count 3 range on your tile excluding your space to be considered safe from the effects? So if I can count 3 range from my space uninterrupted by a door or barrier I should be safe.
And if that's the case then the card is pretty nasty hence there's only one of it in the deck is the thinking right? If you get this card you should be gaining horror every turn it seems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
More Mellotron wrote:
The OP has a good point, I hadn't considered the implications of that wording. Technically even a 3 space room would qualify since range doesn't include the space you're in.

"The range of effects that use the phrase 'within range' is up to three spaces away."

I suppose you're right. Three space tiles aren't safe from that horror either

blueshinymarble wrote:
Thank you for the clarification I think I understand it now.
So you need to be able to count 3 range on your tile excluding your space to be considered safe from the effects? So if I can count 3 range from my space uninterrupted by a door or barrier I should be safe.
And if that's the case then the card is pretty nasty hence there's only one of it in the deck is the thinking right? If you get this card you should be gaining horror every turn it seems?

Yup. Only one "Claustrophobia" in a forty card deck. But when playing with multiple investigators, especially those that have high horror values, the chances of someone drawing it and/or flipping it isn't surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Claustrophobia wrote:

Whenever you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces, suffer 1 facedown Horror

Essentially it could read, "At the end of your turn, put a jelly bean on each board space within range ('...up to three spaces away... cannot be counted through walls or doors... can be counted through impassible borders.' -Rules Reference, p15). Eat all jelly beans placed this way. If you eat 2 or fewer jelly beans in this manner, suffer a facedown Horror."

This version is wordier, but you get to eat jelly beans.

In the specific tile, you would not take a horror. You have range to "Attic-Bed", "Attic-Door", and "Attic Stairs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
More Mellotron wrote:

I don't see anywhere that range doesn't count the space you're in. It is 0 away from you, and 0<3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
More Mellotron wrote:

I don't see anywhere that range doesn't count the space you're in. It is 0 away from you, and 0<3.

I think that range does count the space you are in. So you can shoot a pistol at a monster on your space, and you can use "in range" abilities (like the Priest's) on another investigator that is on your space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Mxyzptlk wrote:
Claustrophobia wrote:

Whenever you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces, suffer 1 facedown Horror

Essentially it could read, "At the end of your turn, put a jelly bean on each board space within range ('...up to three spaces away... cannot be counted through walls or doors... can be counted through impassible borders.' -Rules Reference, p15). Eat all jelly beans placed this way. If you eat 2 or fewer jelly beans in this manner, suffer a facedown Horror."

This version is wordier, but you get to eat jelly beans

This!! This actually made complete sense thank you for the tasty analogy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
blueshinymarble wrote:

Except this tasty analogy is wrong, I believe. Range doesn't work based on spaces total, but in the direction. Look at the picture below:

O O
_

O O

Suppose those dots represent a space, while the line represents a wall. There are four spaces in this room, yes, but think where you might be standing. If standing at the dots on the far left, you could easily count three spaces if going in a circle when counting right and avoiding the wall, so no worries for horror. But then look at the far right dots with you standing there... If standing at one of those dots, you could only count two spaces one direction and one space the other. True, there's three spaces not counting where you're standing, but being within range is up to three spaces AWAY, not TOTAL.

So, in a circumstance like this, you should still lose horror (despite the comedic realization that the room itself is still quite large.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
StarryAqua wrote:
blueshinymarble wrote:

Except this tasty analogy is wrong, I believe. Range doesn't work based on spaces total, but in the direction. Look at the picture below:

O O
_

O O

Suppose those dots represent a space, while the line represents a wall. There are four spaces in this room, yes, but think where you might be standing. If standing at the dots on the far left, you could easily count three spaces if going in a circle when counting right and avoiding the wall, so no worries for horror. But then look at the far right dots with you standing there... If standing at one of those dots, you could only count two spaces one direction and one space the other. True, there's three spaces not counting where you're standing, but being within range is up to three spaces AWAY, not TOTAL.

So, in a circumstance like this, you should still lose horror (despite the comedic realization that the room itself is still quite large.)

But Mxyzptlk does mention that it can't be counted through walls and doors if you read his reference in parentheses. Actually your illustration and explanation sound like his too if you see that he takes into account the wall and door blocking range bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
More Mellotron wrote:

Fair point, yes. The space you're in should be in range of you, thus counting as one of the three. I overthought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
blueshinymarble wrote:

Except this tasty analogy is wrong, I believe. Range doesn't work based on spaces total, but in the direction.

Yes, but the card does base it on count, you're counting the spaces you are in range of, in any direction. Doesn't IMHO mean you have to reach 3 away in any one direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
StarryAqua wrote:
blueshinymarble wrote:

Except this tasty analogy is wrong, I believe. Range doesn't work based on spaces total, but in the direction.

Yes, but the card does base it on count, you're counting the spaces you are in range of, in any direction. Doesn't IMHO mean you have to reach 3 away in any one direction.

This is exactly as I understand it too. It's not can you see as far as range 3, it's can you count 3 spaces from where you currently are without going out of range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think rewording this will help.

Is the enclosed room you are in only 1 or 2 spaces in size? Impassable borders – e.g. the dining room/kitchen hatch (2e) – do not enclose.

Yes: Claustrophobia has an effect.
No: Nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know. I still say it's 3 away in a direction, not total. Can someone please poke Nikki about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
StarryAqua wrote:
I don't know. I still say it's 3 away in a direction, not total. Can someone please poke Nikki about this?

The Claustrophobia card says...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Whenever you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces, suffer 1 facedown Horror.

I must admit, I fail to see why this should mean 3 spaces in a particular direction. I take it to means that within your range (i.e. all spaces within 3) are there only 2 or fewer spaces. Note: Range cannot be counted through walls or doors.

Think that instead of the card saying "2 or fewer spaces", it said "2 or fewer monsters". Isn't that clear that it would mean "are there 2 or fewer monsters within 3 spaces". There would be no reason to think that these monsters must be arranged in a line (or a direction).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
StarryAqua wrote:

Claustrophobia wrote:

If instead of "spaces" it said "cultists," would the cultist have to be lined up? The question is how many spaces are you in range of? Count that quantity, and check against 2.

The rules aren't really written for your interpretation, but it would be like, "At the end of your turn take one facedown Horror unless you can measure range to a space that is 3 spaces away"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:

The more I look at it, the worse I think the wording is.

How are you "in range of 2 spaces"? Range is 3 spaces from where you are. So the wording translates to "within 3 spaces of 2 spaces" which is just horrid. It seems to be treating the word "range" differently from its definition in the RRG.

I like Roger's clear approach, and think I'll use it for now, but it could use some clarification, I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:

Imagine there was a tile of a single room, that tile was 5 spaces by 5 spaces, that's a total of 25 spaces for a single room. Now if your investigator was stood in the centre of the room they would only see 2 tiles in front of them in all directions, not the 3 that you suggest is needed for it not to be Claustrophobic, yet a 25 space room could not be considered Claustrophobic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Similar, but it affects more rooms. Range is blocked by doors and walls, so a 2 space room generally means you're not in range of 3 spaces.

That's how I interpret it as well. There need to be 3 or more spaces within range of your current position (not passing through doors/walls or counting your current space), otherwise you suffer the effect of claustrophobia.

In the Cycle of Eternity scenario - at least with the map I've seen both times around - there are only 3 general locations where you would NOT be affected: the two large tiles and the hallway (which spans multiple tiles).

Basically, you're going to want to stay out of all the rooms that exist on the smaller tiles, and some of the rooms on the larger tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Natai wrote:
[q="More Mellotron]
Basically, you're going to want to stay out of all the rooms that exist on the smaller tiles, and some of the rooms on the larger tiles.

Nasty bugger of a card it is.

StarryAqua wrote:

I'd also like some official clarification on this if it's at all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said a few times, the card says:
Quote:

The other part of the equation is the definition of "Within Range":
Quote:

Range
The range of effects that use the phrase “within range” is up to three
spaces away.
^ Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect
specifically allows it.
^ Range can be counted through impassable borders.